corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » tyre advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tyre advice
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Dec 11 at 01:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 18" tyres on my astra but i am getting excessive wear on the inside edges of them.
i think this is due to camber, i need to change all 4 tyres but dont want to spend loads if it is going to chew threw them in a few miles

can anyone reccomend a decent tyre that doesnt cost a fortune. i have seen kumho ku31's but they are £100 each. which wouldnt be a problem if they were to wear evenly
Matty SRi

29th Dec 11 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the right tyre pressure in them?
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get 4 wheel alignment done to highlight the issues you're having. I can't imagine getting 18" tyres for less than £100 unless you want to end up face down in a ditch.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 01:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pressure is currently at 42 rear 38 front

not sure what i should do, i have spoken to a garage about getting it in there.

thats the reason for this thread Graham, thought someone might know of some non ditch finders

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by IvIarkgraham]
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 01:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

42psi Why so high? I run all mine at 32psi and have never known anyone to run higher than that??

To be honest I think the tyres that are any less than that that are still 'half decent' are probably £5 a tyre cheaper, I'd rather spend the extra to have decent rubber, have you had 4 wheel alighment checked?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 01:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not yet no,

i had them that high because one went flat (has the most wear on it) but it was hard to tell it was flat, 35 profile

so i pumped them all up
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 01:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Madness, that won't be helping anything although that would have meant it wore more in the middle
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 01:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorted the fact that it was pulling right though

that was one of the reasons they got extra air in them to try and stop them wearing even more on the inside

should i get it checked then buy tyres or fit tyres then get it checked?
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 01:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get it checked first if it was me, then you can decide whether to spend the extra on some decent rubber. There's clearly something wrong if it's wearing unevenly so that would be my first port of call.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 01:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers pal, i'll ring the garage in the morning. they can do full geometry settings as far as i know so they will tell me exactly whats wrong
Jed D

29th Dec 11 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also got this camber problem on the corsa, b.new proxies dead in 3 month

im going for the camber alignment soon
BarnshaW

29th Dec 11 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the last 3 sets of tyres i have had in 18's have all been yoko parada spec 2's, they are reasonably cheap, they are IMO fantastic tyres, far better then the previous continentals i had.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
also got this camber problem on the corsa, b.new proxies dead in 3 month

im going for the camber alignment soon
That's mainly because Toyo are overrated rubbish. I have 1 degree of camber on the front of ny car, killed Toyos in 5 months, had Yoko S Drives put on in May 2010 and they're still fine now.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jed D

29th Dec 11 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much are S drive though?

know what you mean like, the rubber is soft on toyos, sidewalls are thin aswell. not bad for grip but far from a good tyre

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Jed D]
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Criticised my choice of cars and you can't even figure out what Psi your tyres should be.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can i not figure out my tyre pressures?
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Cos you put them to 42 psi as one went flat. That is just stupid.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by daymoon]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, you are just stupid!

they were flat, so i put 42 psi in them to try and get it off the worn part of the tyre

can you not read?
GteRedtop

29th Dec 11 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fit tyres for a living and with an 18'' tyre on an astra id say 33psi in all four bud, Its just if you have a heavy car i.e mercades/bmw which are heavier is when you need to up the pressure. what tyres you buy depends on what mileage you do a year, wether you would like good grip or to get as many miles out the tyres as poss.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know they should be around that pressure, they are over inflated for a reason. i do about 8k a year would like grip and good wear
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
no, you are just stupid!

they were flat, so i put 42 psi in them to try and get it off the worn part of the tyre

can you not read?

Erm, so you have overinflated you tyres and blaming "camber" on uneven wear?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you some sort of dildo?

camber is the reason they have uneven wear, no i have over inflated them so they wear more in the middle!#

learn to fucking read you dick
Chris x

29th Dec 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
how much are S drive though?

know what you mean like, the rubber is soft on toyos, sidewalls are thin aswell. not bad for grip but far from a good tyre
I paid £130 for a pair of 195/45/16 S Drives fitted and balanced etc, costs more than the Toyo but seeing as so far they've lasted 4 times as long and still have plenty left on them, I'd say it's worth it. At least I'm not the one that paid for the Toyos to be fitted, previous owner did it just before selling

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Toby
Premium Member

30th Dec 11 at 07:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
no, you are just stupid!

can you not read?

Pumping them up rediculously hard will only decrease the surface area on the road. The bit of the tyre that has the most surface area in your circumstance is the inside edge. All your are doing at the moment is actually putting more wear on the inside edge as less of the tyre is now incontact with the road. However you can't reall win becuase if you drop Tyre presuure to increase surface area, whilst there will be less pressure on the inside edge it will still het chewed from being under inflated

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » tyre advice 23 database queries in 0.0130880 seconds