corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CS Mountain Bikers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CS Mountain Bikers
ed

User status: Offline
10th Jan 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been saving up for a new bike for a while now so that I can get back riding and might be able to get one in a couple of months. Used to riding decent quality bikes, but I've noticed things have come quite a long way since I used to race! I was interested in a Genesis Core 50 - looks like it's a bit more of an 'old school' design in comparison to other bikes in that price range. Anyone know anything about them?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/core-50-2011-mountain-bike-ec024743

Also, any other recommendations in that sort of price range, or cheaper. The Core 50 is at my upper most limit TBH.
Simon

10th Jan 12 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where and what sort of riding are you looking to do? Cannock Chase is a pretty good trail centre for Birmingham area if you are still that way, been a couple of times now.

I don't have any first hand experience on that bike but you could get a hell of a bike on that budget if you went second hand too
ed

10th Jan 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably should have mentioned where I wanted to ride - plan is to to general cross country sort of stuff with some friends around Birmingham/Leamington. That means fields and toe paths for the majority, but will probably end up driving to do some proper stuff elsewhere too.

Friends have got some proper second hand bargains before from Ebay and places, can you recommend any good forums with for sale sections?
Simon

10th Jan 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a Scott Ransom 40 for £690 of ebay last year in perfect condition, complete with all the original manuals etc. Got to be careful with stolen bikes when going second hand but it can be fairly easy spotting them. The sites I go on are pinkbike.com I don't use the forum much but it has a sale section. Singletrackworld.com also has a sale section
ed

10th Jan 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

podgeworth

10th Jan 12 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s2p5067/GENESIS_Core_50_Mens_Hardtail_Mountain_Bike_2011 same price as evans but free upgrade to the 2012 model
Simon

10th Jan 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/article/secondhandbikes.aspx?&id=192

jacko198

10th Jan 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bike radar good for 2nd hand bikes.

Definitely want to go for a Hardtail?

What size?
mantamark

10th Jan 12 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bike radar is a great site, might be wOrth asking on there if you dont get what you want from here. Really good forums there, lots of helpful people, but to get the most out of them be as detailed as possible when asking for help.

They get alot of "i have x to spend what bike should i get?" on there and people tell them to include more info, read stickies etc. i find if you are polite and list everything you want they are a good bunch. If you include previous rides that may help them in picking what you want?

I'd just be straight on wiggle, crc or ribble and see whats in the sale, some cracking stuff on offer at the minute.
ed

10th Jan 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been browsing Bike Radar this afternoon - it's got lots of decent info in the forums and the reviews are good too

Definitely want a hard tail, can't see myself getting a new full suspension with a more than average spec for the cash. Plus for the kind of riding I'm planning, hard tail will be fine so I'll not spend too much time browsing the second hand FS lisitings
ed

10th Jan 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm about 185cm-190cm tall too so I think I'm looking at a 19" frame. When I raced DH I'd always go for quite a small frame and I think my dirt jump bike was something like a 16" so it's going to be strange riding a properly fitting bike
jacko198

10th Jan 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case,

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12829324

Bargain!
ed

10th Jan 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a nice looking bike! If you've still got it up for sale in a month or so, let me know!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CS Mountain Bikers 22 database queries in 0.0056009 seconds