corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Changing career advice

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Changing career advice
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jan 12 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been working as a heavy vehicle technician, 8 years at a main dealer and 2 at a local place doin work for a main dealer.

Got level 3 nvq and btec in heavy vehicle repair. Extensive main dealer training including electrical diagnostics. All to the highest possible grades including a master technician status.

However, the town is dying in this trade, all main dealers have moved about 40 mile away, and the pay is no better than local.

I really want a change of career and get out of vehicle maintanance. I'm just stuck for ideas I what I could do with my skill set. I'd like to train more and learn more as I enjoy it. I live in Yarmouth and there is Alot of oil and offshore places but I don't fancy going away as just had a little one and I'd rather see him grow up than earn mega money

Any ideas what else I could do? Needs to pay at least 25k so mac d no good

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jan 12 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say the trade is dying locally, is your job still safe?
ShEp

12th Jan 12 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offshore work?

If you have enough cash for your survival etc, HGV tech's usually get work no bother out on the field
Ben J

12th Jan 12 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's said not offshore?
Ben J

12th Jan 12 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, if you are looking at retraining, then 25k is potentially unrealisitic.
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 12 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea jobs safe enough. We do all the work the main dealer used to and are rushed off our feet every day. The place is just out of the ark. Dark and proper shitty.

Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 12 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I say re training I mean sticking with mechanical engineering style of job, just learning new things like generators or such like. Not a complete change of job type. If that makes sense.

Ben J

12th Jan 12 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. Makes sense.
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 12 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love a job designing automotive parts. We have lotus locally and they have jobs going. Just need a degree. I've been tempted to do it via open UNI as there is so many jobs going round here for degrees in mechanical engineering. Just take like 7 years

Gary
Premium Member

12th Jan 12 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generators is a good shout. Could prob walk straight into that with a little extra electrical training
Dan
Premium Member

12th Jan 12 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, nothing local doing that.

Do companies, who ask for degrees ever take people on without? Id be tempted to earn shit money for the job while learning etc. Just never see the point in applying for things which are way out of my league :/

taylorboosh

13th Jan 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes your skills can get you in without the degree
stuartmitchell

13th Jan 12 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi mate,

I know you said not offshore but Siemens Wind Power have got loads of jobs in the Southern North Sea maintaining and erecting wind turbines.

Depending on the work scope you can either be on a boat for 2 weeks and off for two weeks or staying in local hotels every night with a crew boat out.

Loads of this is happening from Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft etc so wouldnt be a million miles from home.

Hope that helps!
Colin

13th Jan 12 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont go offshore it leads to doom, depression, alcoholism & all sorts.

Moneys not that great either imo!!
will_doyle
Banned

13th Jan 12 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
I've been working as a heavy vehicle technician, 8 years at a main dealer and 2 at a local place doin work for a main dealer.

Got level 3 nvq and btec in heavy vehicle repair. Extensive main dealer training including electrical diagnostics. All to the highest possible grades including a master technician status.

However, the town is dying in this trade, all main dealers have moved about 40 mile away, and the pay is no better than local.

I really want a change of career and get out of vehicle maintanance. I'm just stuck for ideas I what I could do with my skill set. I'd like to train more and learn more as I enjoy it. I live in Yarmouth and there is Alot of oil and offshore places but I don't fancy going away as just had a little one and I'd rather see him grow up than earn mega money

Any ideas what else I could do? Needs to pay at least 25k so mac d no good

My store manager at macys is on 28k a year

Bye
Colin

13th Jan 12 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£28k a year to put up with a load of bulletheids all day - no thanks!!
taylorboosh

13th Jan 12 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin

lol im sure the doom,depression and alcholism come from incest cheating and as for the money part werent you seriously considering buying a gtr a few months back
mattk

13th Jan 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
depression, alcoholism & all sorts.

sounds like a good weekend to me
mattk

13th Jan 12 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40 miles isnt that far to go to work, Id stay where you are and try to enrich your life out of work. if your place closes. you will find somewhere else
Colin

13th Jan 12 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:

lol im sure the doom,depression and alcholism come from incest cheating and as for the money part werent you seriously considering buying a gtr a few months back

2 weeks sat on an old rusty thing with a load of geriatrics does things to you!

I could afford a GTR, not easily but I could however priorities change. I'd rather a nicer house in a nicer area than something on the drive to please the man on the street.
taylorboosh

13th Jan 12 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have a nice house now do you not?
Colin

13th Jan 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a nice house but in the wrong place, I want to move back to where my family & friends live so if im doing that i'll have to dig deep as you get less for your money there.
taylorboosh

13th Jan 12 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh i see mate, best of luck to you

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Changing career advice 23 database queries in 0.0414240 seconds