corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is it possible to make a video go viral?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it possible to make a video go viral?
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Jan 12 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible to make a video go viral?

Been wondering about how easy it would be to force a video viral, even if it wasnt that great/funny.

Coulda group of us on cs for example all join together, post the video on the forums/groups we use and suddenly it would be around the world?

I propose a challenge

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
adiohead

17th Jan 12 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People often post funny things on 4chan and they don't even go viral..... so I'm pessimistic about it.
ed

17th Jan 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I often wonder how that happens too. There are plenty of amusing videos that go viral legitimately, but now marketing companies are offering 'viral marketing campaigns' which seems a little odd...
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think for a vid to go viral it needs to have more then just being funny, there is usually some level of unique weirdness about what is going on and i think there needs to be some sort of real life consequences or reaction
Paul_J

17th Jan 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's pretty hard.

It requires a certain formula of content, a certain initial launch base for it to reach, preferably filled with a wide range of influential content sharers and then finally a bit of luck.

If you consider the reddit 'Frontpage' as a type of marker of something going Viral (e.g. if it makes it to the top of the front page it has gone viral in most cases), then you notice some interesting behaviour.

Often, the thing that goes viral has previously been submitted sometimes months before or multiple times. Each of the previous submissions barely got a reaction / response.

Thus, it isn't solely the content which makes something go viral. However, some content is far more likely to go viral, than others - so it is important.
Hammer

17th Jan 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't require any formula or scientific theory. It is simply pure luck and something that catches imagination at a particular time.

There are plenty of videos on youtube of folk running into things etc... which are hillarious yet 'Charlie bit my finger' earns hundreds of millions of views.
Paul_J

17th Jan 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The particular recipe I've noticed is:

1. Whatever the video is, it has to seem amateur / not promotional or too professional
2. The video has to have some content which is unique and not something you see every day, such as a hilarious fail, people running on water, a dangerous stunt, something truly embarrassing or sickening etc
3. The video has to get to the point of the viral fairly fast, if the 'viral element' happens in the 8th minute of a 10 minute video, it won't spread.
4. The title / caption of the video often has to be enticing / witty, but this can be replaced by a enticing / witty caption on content sites like Reddit.
5. The initial 'push' of the viral content needs to surge, like a wave. Whether it's through influential facebookers, tweeters, bloggers, youtubers, redditors etc - the more you can kick off that initial push, the far more likely it is to succeed. The spike from the push, gets the content pushed straight into the lime light of all the other people browsing the content site and if it is truly good content, then it will snow ball.
6. The timing is important, it needs to be at a time when many people are on the internet bored, but there aren't too many other virals going around - thus increasing the chance of people liking / sharing it.
7. Finally if it is made easy to share, it will increase it's chances greatly.

... final point is, cats and women in thumbnails = extra chance of success.

Most 'viral video' attempts, fail at either 1, 2 or 5.

The content is either too obviously a forced viral / professional, never viral worthy content or not pushed enough initially to gain traction.

So yes, an advertising agency that knows all this can if they have enough influence cause things to go viral. Such as the giant slipper news story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8837736/Monster-slipper-revealed-as-elaborate-PR-stunt.html

1. Made it look amateur / non forced viral
2. Made it a funny, interesting and truly unique story
3. Gave it a significant push through media channels, that it got into the limelight enough to snowball.
4. Once top of social media sites, it becomes shared across forums / social networks and then tabloid press starts reporting the same story = Viral
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never ever got the charlie bit my finger thing
Whittie

17th Jan 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doyle tried.
_Allan_

17th Jan 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

It's about this baby who bites the finger of a small boy

HTH
Neil

17th Jan 12 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I often wonder how that happens too. There are plenty of amusing videos that go viral legitimately, but now marketing companies are offering 'viral marketing campaigns' which seems a little odd...

The idea behind the 'viral marketing' is that they seed the videos on various websites to the targeted audience to get it started. It may end up getting 10,000 views, it might get 10 million, they can't really know, they're just giving it a kickstart.. getting it seen by a lot of people in the hope it goes properly viral.
3CorsaMeal

17th Jan 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CS could do this type of thing imo, i give it alot of thought.

can get money from it too, am just figuring out my masterplan still
3CorsaMeal

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

earnt them over £100k i heard
Nath

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Doyle tried.

And failed miserably.
John

17th Jan 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J once had a video go viral, until his dad told him to do something more useful with his time
3CorsaMeal

17th Jan 12 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what we need to do is produce a video or just a story with pics and spread it around car forums.

then wait for it to reach the normals who email it and forward it on to there family members and work friends.

Then sell the rights to it for adverts etc, tv interviews.

this time next year we will be millionaires
Cavey

17th Jan 12 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about a picture of a piglet in red boots?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jan 12 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difficult.
_Allan_

17th Jan 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
How about a picture of a piglet in red boots?

Cavey

17th Jan 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the fella. Al-Qaeda used it as a terror attack against the US
BarnshaW

17th Jan 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will not support free advertising for daniel plattern
Dan
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I no longer have anything to advertise barndoor.

I purely wondered if it was possible to do. I reckon we should have a go.

Haven't had chance to read all the posts yet as im at work till late.

I have a Facebook group with 10k mainly females, so have that to post a video on to give it some publicity.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
noshua

17th Jan 12 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell I bet paul's character per post percentage is the highest on the board
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jan 12 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Paul_J once had a video go viral, until his dad told him to do something more useful with his time
Cavey

17th Jan 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Fucking hell I bet paul's character per post percentage is the highest on the board

Don't let Dr Pepper see you say that!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll