corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » leaving uni

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author leaving uni
FAZ
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone been to university and left a course mid way through?

gone off to get a job / apprenticeship etc?

what did you do? would you say it was succesfull / smart choice?
Wrighty_1988

19th Jan 12 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Girl i know went to Uni doing psychology. She served me a 5 piece crispy strip meal yesterday. True story
Chris x

19th Jan 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left my job, had just completed my 4 year apprenticeship with my company.

They paid for my HND (2years) and the first two years of my Degree.

I left to finish the Degree full time over 1 year (5hours a week ) and dont regret it. I would stick with it IMO.

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Chris x]
Tom

19th Jan 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend left Uni as she lost all motivation half way through her 2nd year. She works in a kids nursery and tbh she’s earning shit money with little hope of ever earning much more. Be careful about leaving unless you are sure what you want to do. Yes loads of people have degree’s these days, but I’d prefer to have one than not and if you’re leaving on a bit of a whim I’d reconsider.
ashleh

19th Jan 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mate of mine did 2 years at Uni, then got a placement at some web development company. They offered to take him on full time and he just dropped out.
jrsteeve

19th Jan 12 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the course and what you want to do really. If you're doing some airy fairy course it won't make a difference, if not you should at least get it done as it'll be a lot more expensive in the future if you want to do it again!
FAZ
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its aerosdpace and i think ive bitten off more than i can chew, in my 3rd year now and havign to resit 2nd year modules that ive failed and still cnt get the hang of going a 2nd time round
jrsteeve

19th Jan 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See if you can get a tutor to help you out? I'm doing building surveying part time, 5 fucking years but only 1 and a half to go. Regularly feel like packing it in but ultimately i'm paying for it myself to help my lil company in the future.

If you genuinely have no interest in that industry or type of job then move on.
Rob E

19th Jan 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you struggling with mate? I know where you are coming from as I considered doing the same in my early years of Uni. If its maths/science I can really recommend getting a personal tutor. I failed all bar one exam in my first year and got a tutor which soon bought me up to speed and I've managed to pass everything since.

On the flipside, my Brother dropped out of Uni just after I started because he saw how of a challenge I was finding it and he was breezing through his course (journalism) and not finding it challenging at all. He went back home, moped around for a few months and then came back to do computer science, really struggled to get the financial support and has dropped out again after failing the second year. He is now back at home working full time serving popcorn in the cinema and continuing studying through the Open University. He hasn't been the same since he dropped out, reallly down and regretful of dropping out first time round as only work he could get was dead end jobs with no prospects
FAZ
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheeers guys, guess ill plough on through then
John

19th Jan 12 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll only regret quitting later in life.

If you aren't smart enough move to business studies or the likes, better than nothing.
LeeM

19th Jan 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're third year stick with it, silly to quit now! I'm starting to think engineering is going to be a lot harder than I originally thought but that just means I work harder
Chris x

19th Jan 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doing Engineering!
Cardiac Kid

19th Jan 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess with these sorts of dilemmas you've got to evaluate whether or not you'll be better placed in a year's time, for example.

Could you not move onto another course?

Is there anything else you'd prefer to study which you know will lead somewhere?
Grufman

19th Jan 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing an access to higher education right now. Finish in may, and hoping to go to uni in sept. I dropped out of school in AS year and out of a course after that with dead end jobs in between. It really took them dead end boring jobs to make me realise it wasn't for me. I got an offer tonyt for LJMU and seriously advise anyone that's thinking about dropping out to reconsider! If you can't get to grips with the work get some help and work that little bit harder especially when your almost there!!!
John

19th Jan 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No degree also doesn't mean dead end boring jobs, you still need to be good at something to get a decent job.

If you've dropped out because you are completely useless in general and have no employable skills then it's a problem.
Grufman

19th Jan 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
No degree also doesn't mean dead end boring jobs, you still need to be good at something to get a decent job.

If you've dropped out because you are completely useless in general and have no employable skills then it's a problem.

I didn't mean it like that, just meant I had no employable skills that meant boring dead end factory work. Im sure somebody would be willing to help him though and make the last 2 1/2 years of his life worthwhile if he dropped out now and didn't have an apprenticeship or job that he enjoyed then I could only see him regretting dropping out.
Cardiac Kid

19th Jan 12 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which access course are you taking, Grufman?
daymoon
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I struggled in first year, Averaged out just below 2.1

Started 2nd year and thought " is this actually possible?" and averaged out 1st though out the year (couple of 2.1s and few very high 1st).

Third year same start as second, So far got 68, 85, 70, 70 and 90 for my assignments waiting on marks for two more from first semester.

Doing Computing course btw

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by daymoon]
Grufman

19th Jan 12 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cardiac Kid

Being Northern Irish I just want out of this shithole that's why I've applied to you mainland fuckers uni's

http://www.serc.ac.uk/COURSES/COURSEFINDER/Pages/view_accesstouni_course.aspx?aoscode=71346

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Grufman]
Cardiac Kid

19th Jan 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Grufman
quote:

Being Northern Irish I just want out of this shithole that's why I've applied to you mainland fuckers uni's

http://www.serc.ac.uk/COURSES/COURSEFINDER/Pages/view_accesstouni_course.aspx?aoscode=71346

Ah, right. I thought you meant you were doing an access course to a specific area.
FAZ
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorta averaged 3rd all the way through, just...

nothing other than motorsport really interests me, and thats a dieing trade imo

there is automotive design but again the course looks shite at several unis

might see if i can combine aerodynamics and automotive
Grufman

19th Jan 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Grufman
quote:

Ah, right. I thought you meant you were doing an access course to a specific area.

I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths for a science/engineering route.
James

19th Jan 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are likely to come out with a 3rd, I would consider changing course. Even a 2:2 is borderline.

I don't think you should quit uni, just look into changing course because if you're struggling on the course then you will struggle to get a job in the sector.
Dan295

19th Jan 12 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ
nothing other than motorsport really interests me, and thats a dieing trade imo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » leaving uni 22 database queries in 0.0200651 seconds