corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AOL SMTP Refusing Mail / Exchange

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AOL SMTP Refusing Mail / Exchange
Dom

User status: Offline
20th Jan 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have just setup an SBS 2008 box on a static line and all is working hunky dory, except AOL SMTP servers are refusing to accept emails form my IP address and they are just getting bounced back (works fine on every other email domain i've tried).

It was originally throwing an AOL '554 RTR:RD' error, which according to their error pages (http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php) is a mismatch in the RDNS, but after getting that changed to 'remote.mydomain.com' (email headers showed that as being the hostname) and applying for a FBL (feedback loop; did it for extra measures) it's now throwing a '554 RTR:SC' error - 'a block due to successive dynamic blocks issued against your IP address'

Have checked spam block lists, specifically Spamhaus PBL which AOL use, and the IP isn't listed and have also received acknowledgements from AOL for the apparent 'unblock' of the IP address and the FBL. But i just appear to be going in circles

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Obvious answer would be to use an SMTP server but i haven't got access to one unfortunately. Although I'm wondering if i can use my cPanel hosting as a relay.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Jan 12 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a) keep emailing AOL
b) might have to wait a specific amount of time for the 'unlock' to happen within AOL

?
John

20th Jan 12 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots of places don't like email coming from an IP, causes problems all the time, always better to go through a smart host.

Who is the ISP for the broadband?
Dom

20th Jan 12 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
a) keep emailing AOL
b) might have to wait a specific amount of time for the 'unlock' to happen within AOL

?

The RDNS was sorted last week and they acknowledged it then. But I think you're right about hammering at them to sort it.
Dom

20th Jan 12 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Lots of places don't like email coming from an IP, causes problems all the time, always better to go through a smart host.

Who is the ISP for the broadband?

Via BT but don't have access to their business SMTP unfortunately due to being in a small managed building (and they don't have a SMTP either).

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by Dom]
Dom

22nd Jan 12 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it isn't against T&Cs, does anyone see any issues of using the website's cPanel VPS box (same domain, has its own non-shared IP but obviously differs to the Exchange box) as the SMTP server?

The VPS is setup with Exim and you have to authenticate with a user/pass but having done a few telnet tests everything appears to be ok.

[Edited on 22-01-2012 by Dom]
John

22nd Jan 12 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it and keep an eye on it. As long as its not massive volume I can't see anybody noticing.

New Poll