corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My new cage

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My new cage
Stu

User status: Offline
21st Jan 12 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a few people on here are thinking about cages so I thought Id post a few pics of the Safety Devices Saxo Cup cage I picked up for my Phase 1 Rallye today.

Only trial fitted it so far but luckily the lad I bought it off had not used the original mounting plates so he still had them unused. Anyway the cage fits a treat and it just needs the 6 plates welding in which Ill do tomorrow if the weather is fine. Its a doddle really but like I say Im just glad the original plates are there, fabricating new ones would be a ball ache! I know the Safety Devices cages are expensive but compared to the OMP half cage I fitted in my mates Saxo, the quality is much better and so is the fit!

Ojc

21st Jan 12 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome mate proper job
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those rear windows are begging for plastic
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glad to see that the SD bolt ins also require some weld in as i was going to get it thinking i could fit it
Stu

21st Jan 12 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
those rear windows are begging for plastic

I know tell me about it!!! Got some many little jobs to do on it but thats def on the list!

Stu

21st Jan 12 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
glad to see that the SD bolt ins also require some weld in as i was going to get it thinking i could fit it

Give me 2 minutes and Ill take a pic of what you need to weld
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cool, i ended up going for the custom cages full weld in thing figured if i needed welding done might aswell just get someone to weld it in
Stu

21st Jan 12 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stu

21st Jan 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ok cool, i ended up going for the custom cages full weld in thing figured if i needed welding done might aswell just get someone to weld it in

Yeah totally agree! I havent got the skills to weld a full cage, no chance, especially not with my little MIG anyway. I will be able to do those few plates but I reckon Ill have to tidy them with the dremel afterwards. But like you say, if I were going to get someone else to do it Id just go the whole hog like you!
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good im sure you will have fun when you take it out
c16-jake

21st Jan 12 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was you in macclesfield yesterday?
big eck

21st Jan 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks superb, any pics of the full car???
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the car road legal? and is the dash a permanent removal?

im trying to find info on how much of the dash you actually need, obivously, the dials, and the indicator controls etc need to stay, but what about the rest of the dash?

if you rip out all the blowers etc will it fail because there is no window demister?
mattk

21st Jan 12 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, just have to have enough dash to demist the windscreen
AndyCorsaSport

21st Jan 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a heated screen Steve. Mate of mines doing that with his 106 Rallye we've been doing quite a bit on it past few weeks I'll have to get some pics. Plastic windows all round. Fibreglass bonnet and boot and cut metal out of doors. Although his isn't going to be used on the road at all.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thread here

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/76582-removal-of-heater-will-it-still-pass-mot/

general consensus (input from mot tester on there also) is car will still pass mot without demister, however it is part of SVA

[Edited on 21-01-2012 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"chamois in the car is my demister"
Graham88

21st Jan 12 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's awesome Stu
Stu

21st Jan 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car has just been MOT'ed so is "road legal" but I dont know if it would pass again now? Car is not going to be used on the road again now anyway. All Im going to put back in is the clocks but Ive seen a cheap LCD dash display on ebay that I might even invest in as it has oil pressure and temp on it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250815798026?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2676wt_1037

Looks a bit cheapo but then it is I guess? What are peoples thoughts as I dont want to go to the expensive of something like a Stack.

Heres the demister I got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-CERAMIC-CAR-VAN-FAN-HEATER-BLOWER-DEMISTER-150W-/220863708315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item336c80bc9b#ht_750wt_1037

Just for the days it does steam up
Stu

21st Jan 12 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
That's awesome Stu

Cheers matey, cant wait to get it on track now. Reckon it will be a right weapon with it being so light
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jan 12 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

demister looks perfect i think that paves the way now to totally get rid of my dash,

that display looks fine too, id chop the stand off it and make proper brackets though

let me know how you get on with that display
Graham88

21st Jan 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
That's awesome Stu

Cheers matey, cant wait to get it on track now. Reckon it will be a right weapon with it being so light

I can imagine, what power are they? Must be below 700kgs now? Power to weight ratio will be good
Stu

21st Jan 12 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
demister looks perfect i think that paves the way now to totally get rid of my dash,

that display looks fine too, id chop the stand off it and make proper brackets though

let me know how you get on with that display

Yeah it should do the trick I reckon!

Will do, seems pretty easy to install, just need a sandwich plate for the oil filter with a couple of gauge take offs for oil pressure and temp, a hose adapter for the water temp, alternator for the Voltage wires and tap into the rev counter wire on the dash. Was thinking that myself, there will be somewhere to mount it on top of the flat bit above the steering column with a couple of brackets

Stu

21st Jan 12 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
That's awesome Stu

I can imagine, what power are they? Must be below 700kgs now? Power to weight ratio will be good

Its got a VTS engine in it with cams, manifold, headwork, raised rev limit and remap so around 145bhp at a guess? Its also got a rebuilt Rallye 1.3 box with Quaife LSD so that should be fun too
Stu

22nd Jan 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Welding started, will post some more pics later!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My new cage 22 database queries in 0.0137279 seconds