corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Prem policy - image deletion when you prem expires

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Prem policy - image deletion when you prem expires
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Jan 12 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just after a bit of debate on this

Currently when memberships expire, images are deleted from the web folders and no longer visible.

They are still present in the backups, which are accessible by me and which can be used to create a zip file which is available for download.

Not sure whether to review the policy, either to keep the images online so when you sign back up they're all still there, or to keep sufficient data to be able to recreate the garages, or to say if you let it expire, tough.

Happened four times in as many days where people have let it lapse then asked me for the stuff.

Want to strike a bit of a balance between being compassionate and not telling people things are lost forever when they're not, while attempting to discourage people letting it expire if they want the stuff.
_Allan_

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 12 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you keep them for a month or two then purge? Gives people enough time to renew or give a warning when logging in, to remove them before they are lost.

[Edited on 23-01-2012 by _Allan_]
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Jan 12 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We already keep them for 30 days after the expiry date, at which time renewing gives you it all back.

This is the period after 30 days. Basically I have a delete button which formally demotes the account, and four times I've pressed it then got a u2u about three hours later.
All Torque

23rd Jan 12 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"If you let it expire, tough"

That TBH, mine has expired and all my pics are two years old, so I don't give two shits about losing them. I will renew one day, just need all the cash I can find at the moment. I won't miss the pics as they're all on this laptop anyways.... I'm sure that goes for most people
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Jan 12 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not most, I do get a lot of requests to go digging round the backups.
Dan A

23rd Jan 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Jan 12 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't worry mate its not just you, I'm just trying to minimise the amount of manual work without disincentivising the entire arrangement.
John

23rd Jan 12 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should keep them stored but not give access to them.

Would stop broken links in threads but require people pay £12.50 to get them.
Dan
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download all images option in the garages, then a policy of 30 days or go completely IMO

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good to keep to look at older threads ant the images still appear
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

VegasPhil
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they pay up then get the garage back as it was. Maybe like a 12 month limit. If it is past 12 months then you start from scratch.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
CORSA NUT

23rd Jan 12 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaking of which Ian mines been lapsed for ages can I get my pics back if I go prem?? :-/
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep.

There are threads that need these images. Tutorials, projects etc which are beneficial to the site
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Keep.

There are threads that need these images. Tutorials, projects etc which are beneficial to the site
deano87

23rd Jan 12 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

This.

And an option in the garage to download them all as a .ZIP before Expiry, to save you the hassle. May be give the option to download all images when the red message first appears.
CORSA NUT

23rd Jan 12 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian?
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jan 12 at 04:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Speaking of which Ian mines been lapsed for ages can I get my pics back if I go prem?? :-/
Depends how far back but yes I'll probably have most of it.
CORSA NUT

24th Jan 12 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

noshua

24th Jan 12 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said an option of downloading all garage images as a compressed archive would be a nice touch, save having to download each one individually - then again I can't see how people don't already have a copy of their images in they've uploaded them in the first place? That problem exists regardless of giving the option to download them all though.
Liam-Wilko

24th Jan 12 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

keep i know my images will be gone now was like 1-2 year that i was last prem shame tho liked some of my pics cos my lap top was stolen with them on haha

should keep them as said above for threads and FAQ and tutorials
3CorsaMeal

24th Jan 12 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didn't get the chance to save mine, kinda accepted its gone forever, but tbh i can't remember the photos i had now
ed

24th Jan 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep them available. The cost of data has come down so much it doesn't make sense to delete them. It also doesn't look good having broken image links all over the place.

You could even do something clever like loading the images through a script which will display a placeholder image saying that your membership has expired - this could be disabled in forums like Help Zone and Tutorials because it's valuable not to have broken images in there.

[Edited on 24-01-2012 by ed]
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

24th Jan 12 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think keep them active but not accessible once membership has expired, as i know my build thread is not full of broken links and i left it too long before i renewed and i lost all mine which is a shame

On the other hand, how many premium members have there been? As there is a 100mb limit atm, so that could add up to alot of disk space...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Prem policy - image deletion when you prem expires 23 database queries in 0.0102289 seconds