corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » imp... again... those who know clutches and flywheels ect

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author imp... again... those who know clutches and flywheels ect
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
6th Feb 12 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i have been messing on stripping the engine ect today and really have learned an awful lot. Getting stuck in is a great way to see how things work

Now my question... it actually seems it would be viable to mate the imp transaxle to the x16xe with some bell housing mods (my mate is adament he can weld the casing) and i feel a dog box would be awesome so transaxle strength would no longer be an issue..

the only issue is the input shaft on the transaxle wont fit the corsa clutch...

so i have devised the methods it could possibley work... id like to know your thoughts or if you have any other ideas?

method 1:

have the holes in the imp fly wheel welded and re-drilled to bolt onto the x16xe, this way i could use the whole imp clutch set up and only an adaptor plate would need making. the drawbacks are the imp clutch design is 40+ years old and 100+ bhp would shaft its arse big time, i dont think welding flywheels is safe, i would have to cut a bit block away to make the starter motor work

(this is my least fave plan)

method 2:

Use the whole corsa fly and clutch assembley and make a hybrid bell housing from the imp transaxle and the corsa box.. this would be strong enough to take the power and would not require fannying on with starter motor. drawback is id have to either have a custom input shaft make or find some one to change the splined ring in a corsa clutch? (anyone know who can do this?)

method 3:

as above but find a clutch with the same spline pattern as the imps shaft but that will fit in the corsa housing and work (my ideal option)

some quick pics

fly-less x16xe

fly-less 875

corsa box

imp transaxle

corsa fly and clutch assembley

imp fly and clutch assembley

x16xe and transaxle together

Dan295

6th Feb 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

custom flywheel, the correct pattern for the clutch which fits the crank on the imp engine. that way you can bolt it to the corsa gearbox easily. iirc andy1234?? did it with his vxr build to mate the vxr lump to an F28?
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Feb 12 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got enough room to mount the engine reverse longitudinally?
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes plenty space that way on.. this will deffo be the best option imo
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Feb 12 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Solves your linkage problem then as well. At least if you're using the standard box you have no shaft/hub/linkage headaches.

I would be concerned at the cost to convert though, particularly if it's going to break with that amount of power.
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the main issue is the clutch. once thats done it would be fine providing its a dog box.. some on imp club running 160 bhp turbos
gazza808

6th Feb 12 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did some thing similar, but it was a perkins diesel engine on to a marine drive unit,
I did it by buying a piece of 15mm thick alloy, machined down the bell housing on the drive unit 15mm,
Then cut the plate so it bolted to the perkins engine and cleared the starter and fly wheel,
I lined the two up on a spigot,
Tacked it with ally wire in my mig welder then tigged it up at work.
I modded the clutch/drive plate to fit,
Obviously you could use a helix pressure plate, tell them what spline you want and they will fit it

Hope makes sense posting on my phone.
LeeM

6th Feb 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it not possible to get a custom friction plate made up from a motorsport company? use the vauxhall flywheel and pressure plate
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lee that would be the ideal plan
gazza808

6th Feb 12 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obviously you need to check how far the input shaft intrudes, etc,
May need to put a bearing in the fly wheel centre
JamesMG

6th Feb 12 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What size is the imp clutch friction plate / flywheel compared to the xe? If its similar (or slightly smaller) then you will probably be able to find a competition clutch friction plate that will be able to handle the power of the xe and fit inside the pressure plate / flywheel assembly of the Xe.. Depends on the measurements of both really...
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but once you budget the £2k for a dog box things quickly mount up.. if i can get an of the shelf jobby to fit then i will
gazza808

6th Feb 12 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
is it not possible to get a custom friction plate made up from a motorsport company? use the vauxhall flywheel and pressure plate

Helix will do this, no extra cost last time I checked. As said in my post.
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imp one is smaller but only by about 30 mm
Tomnova16
Premium Member

6th Feb 12 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would also go for custom friction plate.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
scottyp1989

6th Feb 12 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

30mm overall? So 15mm all round, shouldn't be that much of a problem
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea scotty, reading through google searches it seems most get a custom jobby made up, not sure on the costs of this mind
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been given a link for quinton hazzell clutch catalougue.. all i need to do is measure the x16xe clutch diameter and find out the input shaft from the transaxle width and spline count and then look through to see if i can find a match...

what im concerned about is the fact nobody ever mentions the width of the clutch? surely this is a defining characteristic?
JamesMG

6th Feb 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the flex in the pressure plate makes up a lot for thickness as it will vary with wear anyway.. But would prob be a good idea to try and locate one roughly the same though I'd say!
taylorboosh

6th Feb 12 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, one with the anti judder spring things too imo
craig-dodd

7th Feb 12 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can find the shaft spline info on the helix clutch website

click

i think a x16xe fricton plate is 200mm (nott 100% sure tho) and if you look on this next link they have a friction plate with same spline at the imp and 200mm diameter

click

[Edited on 07-02-2012 by craig-dodd]
sand-eel

7th Feb 12 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would just do the thick alloy plan and make a bellhousing adapter and get a custom shaft, as if you get a custom friction plate it may need to get replaced due to warpage/wear etc but the shaft would only be bought once.
Obviously the imp clutch/flywheel is a big no no as they can't even handle the origional 45bhp.
taylorboosh

7th Feb 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh I think the best idea is to find a friction plate similar size to a corsa one but with the same splines as the imp
taylorboosh

7th Feb 12 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

, I do it all the time for competition boxes. 2 areas of the casing are filled in with weld and five plates are welded around the output shaft areas. A new longer stud is fitted with 3/8" helicoils to support the n/s diff bearing. This must be done with the Rootes special tool RG365 clamped into the casing otherwise distortion compromises the fit of the diff. sleeves.

This will only protect the weakest part of the casing and the problem then moves to the pinion head bearing mount, which is the next weakest part. The alloy shoulder supporting the bearing cup and shims can break away with terminal, and expensive, consequences. This happens during sudden overrun changedowns eg. slamming the box rapidly down from fourth to second at high revs or mis-selecting on changedown causing a mechanical overrev which can also damage the engine. Because you are using the drivetrain to slow the car down, the crownwheel tries to force the pinion shaft towards the front of the gearbox and the shock loading can break the casing bearing support shoulder.

The pinion tail bearing shoulder suffers under hard acceleration as the forces acting on the pinion shaft are reversed - start line clutch drops at high revs are the worst. This is much less susceptible to failure than the pinion head bearing mount though. Something will be mass produced soon to overcome this problem on all except 5 speed boxes (not enough room for the mod).

Above is a post from a rally god on the imp forum... Seems the gearbox will need more than just straight cut gears

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » imp... again... those who know clutches and flywheels ect 23 database queries in 0.0147898 seconds