corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 170k mile BMW E46 330i

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 170k mile BMW E46 330i
sri14

User status: Offline
8th Feb 12 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello,

Dont post much but often browse. Just wanted peoples thoughts on a 170k mile 330i with full history and manual box for about £1.5k just as a cheap runaround stopgap car?

Do you think it will constantly need working on all the time? I think it may be ok as if its done that milage it must be a good car. Ill need to check the SH obviously. Plenty of E46 parts in the scrappy.

Might just get it and take the risk

Cheers
kennySRi

8th Feb 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it this isnt a CI/sport? If you were planning on keeping it and not looking to sell then 170k isnt a problem at all. As long as it has history and has been looked after it will last, for that price id go for it. Bare in mind though that 330 engines dont come up for sale very often so could get expensive if it does start to break
sri14

8th Feb 12 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah its a touring. Need a touring really as i move alot of shit about. Got an astra van atm but had it 18month and fancy gettin back into a propper car with some go. I'll keep it for a year or so if it runs ok. Not worrried about mechanical stuff as i am ok with spanners just electrical stuff as i imagin there are alot of sensors ect...
Whittie

8th Feb 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's cheap...! Go for it, you could still get £1000 for it for sale as "Broken".
kennySRi

8th Feb 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aslong as the fuel doesnt bother you compared to the astra then id go for it. I am getting VERY low 20mpg in my 330. As above, if it does break on you then you could always split it for very good money.
sri14

8th Feb 12 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is there much worth splitting on a 170k 12 year old car? Interiour will be worn as will all the mechenical stuff. Alloys will be ok. Like i say i will look at it soon and if drives ok will probs take the risk. If i can get late 20's it will do me. Do mostly dual carriageways and Mways so i think thats realsitic.
Whittie

8th Feb 12 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anything was to go, just put on the for sale advert "needs clutch" or "wont start" etc. Somebody always buys cars to fix up and sell.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

8th Feb 12 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

snap it up

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
richc

8th Feb 12 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would buy it - oil and coolant change, + gear box and rear diff oils (if you plan on keeping it for a while).
SteveoBC
Premium Member

8th Feb 12 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Things to look out for i had on my 328ci and seems common on E46 with 2.8-3.0ltr engines

Coolant issues, check the following have been changed;
Water pump
Rad
Expansion Tank

Be wary about front an rear bushes on the lower arms, see if these have been changed

Also chassis fault with 2.8 engines and above, try to listen out for any creaks or thumps from the rear suspension- this will be a sign of chassis split

rear subframe is fine but where it bolts to the car over time the metal suffers fatigue and the chassis can split itself around the subframe mount points, hard to see with the eye but try your best to look out for it

all the above is if your keeping it though, splitting it doesnt matter on the above
kennySRi

8th Feb 12 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sri14
is there much worth splitting on a 170k 12 year old car? Interiour will be worn as will all the mechenical stuff. Alloys will be ok. Like i say i will look at it soon and if drives ok will probs take the risk. If i can get late 20's it will do me. Do mostly dual carriageways and Mways so i think thats realsitic.

Any parts from a bm will get sold, i've had a few high milers and the interiors and panels can still look new. If it does break and you want it gone then give me a shout

If there isnt any problems when you view it i would definetly buy it, on a motorway you should see over 30mpg tbh
Brett
Premium Member

8th Feb 12 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Price isn't amazing really is it? Hasn't even said the year, could be a '99.

EDIT: Ok, he said 12yrs old. Again, price isn't amazing, not sure on the excitement.

[Edited on 08-02-2012 by Brett]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 170k mile BMW E46 330i 23 database queries in 0.0098450 seconds