corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Online Interactive CV's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Online Interactive CV's
A2H GO

User status: Offline
13th Feb 12 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of updating my CV and thought about doing an online version, something like:

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/freebies/resume-cv-templates/

How do these work, you buy the theme then do you need to host it so you can send people the link?

Some say 'Print Ready' but how does that work with buttons to 'Linked In' and other links...do they just get removed as part of the printed copy...

AndyKent

13th Feb 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why have a fancy online CV when you don't know how to create one?

Buying a template online just gives a better impression of your skills than you actually have.

Either that or whoever you send it to will realise its off the shelf and ignore you.

I say make your own or don't bother. Tbh.
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good point.

I already have a 1990's boring Word CV that people will just skim over a get bored of, just fancied doing something a little different.

And a CV making you look better than you actually are....because noone ever does that
AndyKent

13th Feb 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know what I mean - making out you came up with a fancy idea and skills to make an online version but in fact paid someone else to do it. Not saying its wrong but not something I'd do.

Put some more effort into your word version, you can still do something modern in that and least its your own work.
John

13th Feb 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of jobs are you going for?

You work in a bank don't you? If they have to go to some website to check it up it'll be straight in the bin.

These things are ok if you want some creative design job but no point otherwise imo.
James

13th Feb 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to say pretty much what John said. Unless you are some designer I wouldn't bother, if you are a designer, you would just have an online portfolio.
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99% of people use templates for their CV's whether on Word or wherever else which of course isn't their own work either. This is just the same only a little more fancy and with the times.

Just wondered how it works thats all?
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

You work in a bank don't you? If they have to go to some website to check it up it'll be straight in the bin.

These things are ok if you want some creative design job but no point otherwise imo.

Yes I do and banking is quite big on linkedin. I'd like to be able to link to a CV, doesn't have to be as fancy as some of those on there but even I get bored reading the Word one Ive got.

Obviously, for formal applications you wouldn't send a link but rather a printed copy.

[Edited on 13-02-2012 by A2H GO]
James

13th Feb 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've recruited for developer roles before and if someone sent me a link to an online CV I would think it was ridiculous.

Plus a lot of jobs are handled through recruitment agencies so they send out your CV for you.
James

13th Feb 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:

Yes I do and banking is quite big on linkedin. I'd like to be able to link to a CV, doesn't have to be as fancy as some of those on there but even I get bored reading the Word one Ive got.

Obviously, for formal applications you wouldn't send a link but rather a printed copy.

So you want a link to an online CV from your LinkedIn profile? Isn't that the whole point of the LinkedIn profile itself? Basically an online CV?
Russ

13th Feb 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I've recruited for developer roles before and if someone sent me a link to an online CV I would think it was ridiculous.

Plus a lot of jobs are handled through recruitment agencies so they send out your CV for you.
what id the link took you to a website with loads of there work in action and made you think, wow if this guy goes to this much trouble in his spare time imagine what he could do for us?
James

13th Feb 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by James

what id the link took you to a website with loads of there work in action and made you think, wow if this guy goes to this much trouble in his spare time imagine what he could do for us?

I'd rather they just put the link in their paper CV TBH.
James

13th Feb 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus we don't do web development so anything they did online wouldn't be that useful TBH.
James

13th Feb 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not trying to be negative by the way, I'm just giving my opinion. I think there's a reason why not many people do it. Unless you are a designer where it is industry standard to have an online portfolio, I can't see it doing you any favours. In fact a lot of people might see it as a bit cocky/arrogant.
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seems to me that people don't think outside the box anymore and you just end up blending in.

On the flip side, traditional methods have been in place years for a reason.

A lot of people I work with have links from LinkedIn to their own website with their CV on there.
James

13th Feb 12 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think a well written, well formatted paper CV will do you more good than an online CV. Spend some time playing with formats on Word and come up with your own professional design without just using one of the Word CV templates. Then search Google for the current buzzwords in your industry and then use any that are applicable to you, but don't just fill it with buzzwords, that's worse than no buzzwords at all.

My CV is laid out like this and I've got an interview at over 90% of jobs I've applied for:

Name
Contact Number/E-mail Address

Personal Statement (2 short paragraphs)

Skills Summary (Bullet points with technical/other skills I have)

Employment History (Detail on each job, my responsibilities and which of the skills in the skills summary above I used in each role).

Education and Training (very little information here, just 2 lines describing my degree, 1 line with a summary of my GCSEs and A-Levels and any other qualifications).

I don't even have hobbies and interests on there. Recruitment agents kept telling me to take them off because no-one cares if you play football or like watching films

[Edited on 13-02-2012 by James]
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers James.

I'll have a go a bringing my Word CV more update and re-arrange it a bit.
John

13th Feb 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have an online thing to link from from your linkedin.
James

13th Feb 12 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to show off your work etc on a website that's fine, but just put a link on your CV or LinkedIn as John said. But I don't see the point in just having the same information as your CV on a website.
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edit: got you, yes I think a link will be fine.

A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you put a photo on your CV?
John

13th Feb 12 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not unless you are going for acting jobs no.
Dom

13th Feb 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Not unless you are going for acting jobs no.

It's becoming fairly popular in the Web developer/design world although personally i wouldn't/don't.

As said though, it's all dependant on what job/industry you're applying for. Although if it is banking then I would have thought a paper format is worth a lot more than a digital version; and if you did a digital version then you'd have to make it printable.

You're better off getting a decent paper version knocked up (use InDesign over Word as Word is far too restrictive interms of layout/design) and if you want/need a digital version then you can just PDF it.

[Edited on 13-02-2012 by Dom]
A2H GO

13th Feb 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I've been trying to format it how I want it in Word and its just not working. Started in Powerpoint as we're limited at work as to what software we can use.

Or I could just do it at home when I get some time.

New Poll