corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Uni day] What classification did you get?

Poll: [Uni day] What classification did you get?
First 2 (5.88%)
2:1 7 (20.59%)
2:2 3 (8.82%)
2:3 0 (0%)
Failed 1 (2.94%)
Dropped out 1 (2.94%)
Never went 20 (58.82%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author [Uni day] What classification did you get?
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Feb 12 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What classification degree you lot got? and what in?

I am doing my last semester of Computing course at Leeds Met.

All I need to get a 2:1 overall is 43.5 in the last 4 modules which is piss easy.

If I spend some time I can get a 1st overall - need 70 average across next 4 modules.

My motivation has dropped a lot since I got 2 crap grades for 2 modules beginning of 3rd year - 53% for website development and 59% for Project research and planning.

Is there a massive difference between 2:1 and 1st when it comes to interviews etc?
BTW my individual marks are awesome for subjects that I want to do once I graduate.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 12 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That grade will be with you forever, probably worth doing it properly.
daymoon
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will it though? I was under impression that it only mattered for first job.

Also I have a great excuse for it imho - I was working though out all my uni years, often full time, in order to pay for my tuition fees and day to day expenses <- actually true and I am debt three after all these years...
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 12 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not an excuse is it, if you don't score as well you look worse on paper.

First job with affect later jobs and improve your prospects but if you're asked and need to say it, a worse classification will look worse.

Plus it will limit your options for postgrad. study.

Get a good mark, anything else you'll need to justify to yourself as to why you didn't give it 100%. Being debt free sounds lovely but if you're less clever, an employer won't think it's so great.
James

14th Feb 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It matters most for the first job but it still plays a part in future applications.

Not many places explicitly request a first but anything less than a 2:1 isn't great.
Rob E

14th Feb 12 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have been told there is £10,000 salary difference between someone with a 2:1 and a first in the engineering sector.
Dom

14th Feb 12 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I worked a bit harder in my final year, spent most of it pissing about doing last minute essays and missed out on a first by 6 marks across all my modules. Saying that, I did originally think i was going to fail my degree so a 2:1 was a bit of a surprise
If a first in achievable then get your head down for a few months and get on with it. As Ian said, it sticks with you forever.
James

14th Feb 12 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are a few industries where it makes a bigger difference than others. Banking/finance and engineering immediately spring to mind.
JonnyJ

14th Feb 12 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 2:2 in Graphic Design which means fuck all as its all about your portfolio
Ben J

14th Feb 12 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BSc (Hons) Hotel & Catering Management - 2:1
Ben J

14th Feb 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
We have been told there is £10,000 salary difference between someone with a 2:1 and a first in the engineering sector.

Can't be true.

My bro in law is an engineer and got a 2:1, his cousin is an engineer with same company with a 1st and a Masters and started on same money as my bro in law did.

[Edited on 14-02-2012 by Ben J]
mattk

14th Feb 12 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should start a poll thats sees how many people got jobs with their degree at the end
Ben J

14th Feb 12 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did. Marriott Graduate Development Program.
Rob E

14th Feb 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
quote:

Can't be true.

My bro in law is an engineer and got a 2:1, his cousin is an engineer with same company with a 1st and a Masters and started on same money as my bro in law did.

That was my initial thought too but I don't know the ins and outs. It came from someone with a vast experience of the industry, however I don't think it will be an immediate 10k, probably an average of engineers degree result and their salary during a survey or similar.

I noticed you mentioned they started on the same wage but are their future chances of promotion the same? Say if they both went for the same internal promotion then surely his cousin will have the upper hand due to results from uni?
LeeM

14th Feb 12 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need a first to stand out now ive been told.
im only first year in engineering but ive got a first in 4 out of the 6 modules so far.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 12 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would think that £10k figure is later in to a career, not the first job.

[Edited on 14-02-2012 by Ian]
Ojc

14th Feb 12 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1:1
Toby
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amount of students out there all coming in with that class I would sure as fuck be making sure I got a first
Ben J

14th Feb 12 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
quote:

Can't be true.

That was my initial thought too but I don't know the ins and outs. It came from someone with a vast experience of the industry, however I don't think it will be an immediate 10k, probably an average of engineers degree result and their salary during a survey or similar.

I noticed you mentioned they started on the same wage but are their future chances of promotion the same? Say if they both went for the same internal promotion then surely his cousin will have the upper hand due to results from uni?

My bro in law is now a Project Manager and pretty well up. His cousin has only been in the industry about a year but is actually behind where my bro in law was at this stage.

Getting a 1st shows academic qualities but doesn't prove you can do the job.

Once you are in the job and start doing it you'll be judged on how well you can do it not your degree classification surely?

I could understand a person with a 1st initially getting a job straight out of uni easier than a person with a 2:1 obviously, but not beyond that.

Mase
Premium Member

14th Feb 12 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I wish that was the case! I got a 1st and it's made bugger all difference, although I suspect it did assist in getting my job.... I'd always push for the 1st if I were you, because if that's all that differs between two candidates for a job in this competitive climate, you'd be stupid not too.

Mase
ed

14th Feb 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference isn't £10k

All the good grad jobs in engineering (i.e. a blue chip grad scheme) have roughly a £27k wage with £2-3k hello.
Matt L

14th Feb 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i never went however passed one out of my 2 exams i took in Dec .
Mad Moe

14th Feb 12 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying - 2:1
Rob E

14th Feb 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just going off what I've been told, but it's enough for me to have pulled my finger out this year
Doug

14th Feb 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These days you really need a 2:1 or First to make it through the paper sift for most jobs!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Uni day] What classification did you get? 25 database queries in 0.0125248 seconds