corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » leaky sump

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author leaky sump
corsajay88

User status: Offline
15th Feb 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just noticed my sump is leaking, its not a massive amount but going to get it sorted. The question is the leak is coming from the gasket so can i just replace the gasket of would it be more sensible to buy a new sump as well
Ellis

15th Feb 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless the flange on the sump is damaged then I don't see any need to replace the sump itself. Just replace the gasket.
corsajay88

15th Feb 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
16th Feb 12 at 02:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be bent unless its been overtightened.

When you fit the new one, don't go mad on the bolts, they only need 8nm which is not much at all.
corsadonk
Premium Member

16th Feb 12 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What engine is it? The XE alloy ones tend to crack.
corsajay88

16th Feb 12 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a 1.6, i was going to check it over in case it needed replacing. going to get this done tomorow. My driveway got some good sized oil patches now.
HarleyMK

16th Feb 12 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if youve got an x16xe id just replace the gasket as my mate managed to put a whole in his and when he phoned up vauxhall the quoted him stupid amounts of money cause theyve apparently stopped making them
TMM

17th Feb 12 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing I do on these is to tighten the bolts gradually. They are only a low torque setting, but even so it's worth doing them finger tight, then tighten gently in sequence. You get less chance of distortion that way.
corsajay88

17th Feb 12 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TMM
One thing I do on these is to tighten the bolts gradually. They are only a low torque setting, but even so it's worth doing them finger tight, then tighten gently in sequence. You get less chance of distortion that way.

Yeah, gearbox side first then block. seems like eurocarparts were the only place that had them in stock but sold out now i should have bought it earlier in the week

[Edited on 17-02-2012 by corsajay88]
TMM

17th Feb 12 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried CES on Bumpers Lane - I've only just got back from there, I could have asked if I'd known.

If not - ring Autovaux.
Dan295

17th Feb 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a bodge but a lot of places are using it nowhttp://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173106_langId_-1_categoryId_255217
corsajay88

17th Feb 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TMM
Have you tried CES on Bumpers Lane - I've only just got back from there, I could have asked if I'd known.

If not - ring Autovaux.

no forgot about them, i work opposite them as well, eurocp have got them in stock in stockport, im in that area on sunday and monday so ill get one there. thanks anyway.

think id use it aswell as a gasket when im unsure of something. thinking about it, it seem its been used on my cam cover when i got the head gasket done. 24 hours to dry seems a long time to dry but if it gets worse by tomorow i might give it a chance

seems my sump is leaking in two places now one on each side. not major but quickly getting worse. hit my exhaust manifold on the speed bump in my work car park, dinted my manifold

[Edited on 17-02-2012 by corsajay88]

New Poll