corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Home Network

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home Network
Danny P

User status: Offline
5th Mar 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying to set up a home network between my PC and my Laptop so I can access the music file on the desktop via my Laptop. Seem to be hitting a brick wall though and some of the guides online might as well be written in Chinese...

I have both the PC and Laptop connected to the same router, and have set the relevent file so that it is shared (as per the IT fella at work) but i'm guessing there must be more to it than that as i've no idea if its working or not. I cant see the file on my Laptop.

I know its probably pretty simple, but can anyone give an idiots guide on what I need to do to get it working?

*awaits folk telling me how dumb I am and that a 3yr old could do it*
Brett
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, you've already shared the folder on one machine?

Once you've done that, easiest way to connect would be type this is run, replacing the two bits \\PCNAME\FOLDERNAME
Danny P

5th Mar 12 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I shared it on the PC, and it came up that it was shared, but just looking under the properties on the file it is showing that its not shared

Would it type that in on the Laptop or on the PC?
Gary
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Share the folder on the pc then typre that into explorer on the laptop and visa versa
Gary
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check they are in the same workgroup too (my computer properties)
Dom

5th Mar 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming these are Windows systems?

Firstly make sure you have 'File and Printer Sharing for Windows Networks' is enabled under your network/wireless interface (under Network Connections).

Then check to see if the directory/folder is sharing; click Start > right-mouse-click Computer, select Manage > Computer Management will popup > click Shared Folders then Shares.
If it isn't listed then it isn't shared properly, which go through the sharing wizard/advanced sharing for that directory/folder.
If the directory/folder is shown then you can check it, explorer window will pop up with your share(s), by click Start > (and Run if using XP or below) and entering '\\(computer name)\' without the single quotes and obviously replacing computer name and brackets with your computers 'name'/hostname (can find that by running cmd (command propmt) and entering hostname).

If that's all good then as Brett said and enter '\\(computer name)\' on your laptop (like you did with the above) and seeing if you can access it.

And if you're still having trouble then try turning off the firewalls (Google as there are plenty of guides) on both systems and see if that helps. Failing that try and access each system using IP address (open up a command prompt and using the command 'ipconfig /all' and look for the IPv4 Address) instead, so same as before but replace the 'computer name' with the IP address.
Also worth seeing you can Ping each system (again Google, plenty of guides).

Danny P

5th Mar 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'm almost there!!

I can see the File in the shared on the PC, but when typing in the computer name etc under "run" on the Laptop its not picking it up. Do I need to input the full C:\Users\Dan Porritt\Desktop\Music file path in? Or just the the name of the folder (music) from the desktop?

Edit - Just tried both and its not picking either of them up

[Edited on 05-03-2012 by Danny P]
Dom

5th Mar 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it timing out with an error (something like 'Windows cannot access \\....')?
Have you made sure 'File and Printer Sharing...' is enabled on both systems?
Can you PING each system?
Have you tried disabling the firewalls on both systems?

On the laptop you just enter the Network share path into the run box (or explorers address bar) - \\computer-name\share-name (you can omit the share-name and you'll get a listing of all the shares on that computer; however note the share-name is not the directory/folder name, rather a associated name for network sharing).

Also what windows OS's are you using (i'm assuming either Vista or Win7 from that path you posted)?
Danny P

5th Mar 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I just put the computer name (DanPorritt-PC) in on the Laptop then it just shows the "Users" folder. Both the Laptop and the PC are called the same. If I do that on the PC then it shows some printers and the file I want to get access to.

Will give the other stuff a go and see if it works.

Laptop is Windows 7, and the PC is Vista.

[Edited on 05-03-2012 by Danny P]
Sam
Premium Member

5th Mar 12 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure they are both on the same workgroup (default names are either MSHOME or WORKGROUP, you can change it to whatever you want).

Also, make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled on both, and that network discovery I think it's called on Windows 7 is enabled.

Oh and if you've any Internet security software installed on either machine, make sure that it doesn't block any network activity.

New Poll