corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hacked email account

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hacked email account
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Mar 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the websites I host for someone had their account automatically suspended this morning due to SMTP spam.

They use Google Apps for Domains, so I reset the passwords of both the website cPanel and their email account on Google. Logged into Google Mail and there was about 1400 bounceback emails from about 1am this morning.

I've advised them to do a full virus scan on their PC as Google Mail has reported that the account was last logged into at 1:15am this morning so someone obviously had those log in details too, and they also use the email over IMAP on their smartphone.

Apart from monitoring the situation, is there anything else I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again to them?
Whittie

7th Mar 12 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give them an auto-gen password.

Their password is currently probably something like dog

Sam
Premium Member

7th Mar 12 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I set it up so that they have to enter a new password when they type in the temporary one I gave them over the phone a few minutes ago.

But yes, probably is I told them to use a complex password and not use the same one as before
Whittie

7th Mar 12 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll probably use cat mate
Sam
Premium Member

7th Mar 12 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to set up proper complex passwords for people but they complained about them being too hard to remember, so I thought fuck it if they want to use a crap password and increase the chances of being hacked that's their problem not mine - they'll just have to pay me to fix the problem for them
Dom

7th Mar 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have given them a password rather than letting them decided one, otherwise as Whittie said they'll end up using Bob1 (or something to similar)

Think you have covered it otherwise, obviously make sure they are using a decent and up-to-date AV and tell them to keep away from the grot sites
Sam
Premium Member

7th Mar 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The person in question who's PC/email this is, is a married woman (and a MILF in case you wondered) so I doubt she'd be looking at any dodgy sites at work - although these days you never know...!

New Poll