corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snowboarders/Skiers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snowboarders/Skiers
Wayne

User status: Offline
13th Mar 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering what it's like up scotland for boarding? Is it Cairngorm where everyone goes? What months are normally good up there? Looking on sites there's no snow up there now?

RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unpredictable in a word - this year was utter shit on day one, marginally better on day two and somewhere inbetween the two on day three. Last year was better. This was Nevis Range just outside Fort William.

We were riding the base layer this year, any fresh snow blew straight off and 46 of the 58 chairs on the lift were damaged beyond use. Drag lifts were awful and piste maintenance midweek was non existant
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

park was reasonable last year on the summit but terrible this year

last year

This year,

More Mud than Snow

Only park feature this year and no kickers
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds quite rubbish then! What's the cost like? Do you go to xscape much?
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chill Factore more and just got back from 10days boarding in the Alps. Scotland is very, very hit and miss.

We were around £500 per couple for travel, accomodation, lift passes and fuel etc so not too bad but for double that, you could go to the Alps instead or for a similar price you cuold go to Bankso in Bulgaria for a week. I would only go back to Scotland if it was a last minute thing and I knew there was good snow. We had it booked up for 6 months, had we have gone 4 weeks earlier, it would have been great but 4 weeks later and the snow was gone
Rob_Quads

13th Mar 12 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scotland is great for the scotish but i would never plan a holiday there unless it was last minute to make sure the conditions are good.

Also bear in mind whats 'good' in scotland would be OK in the Alps.
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you go to the freestyle nights much? I'm looking for someone to help me learn and point me in the right direction as don't want to pay them for it.

I went to Andorra end of jan for a week & paid £500 for flights, transfers & half board which wasn't bad i thought. Town was abit grotty but the slopes were brilliant! Picked the best week to go as loads of fresh snow had fallen the day before!

Yeah don't think i'd book scotland in a hurry probably be last minute thing like you said yourself.

Just got some new boots that need bedding in! Was there on saturday but seemd like i had gone backwards with the new boots! I went to ellis brigham in Manchester on friday after work and they guy who measured my etc said i needed a size 6 boot as to the size 9 i had been using! I was way off and he said it would make a big difference and it did! My feet did get abit crampy though?

The guy who measured me designs the layout for chill factore freestyle night and rides alot at xscape!
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also got my board & Bindings in Andorra as well as there was a massive sale on due to no snow for a few weeks! The lady in show pointed me to a board that would suit me. I was like is that not a womens snowboard and she said no it's a unisex one! It's a salomen oh yeah board! She said it had good reviews and was a good board! Made a big difference to the shit rental boards you get!
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is your foot positioning? Front and back angles and are you regular or goofy? Play with the angles; I find a 12degree back foot and 15degree front suits me most.

I ride freestyle a bit but Stu Smith off here rides a lot more Freestyle than me at both ChillF and Cas Vegas. I'm more a freeride/boardercross rider than freestyle but you can't really do them indoor

[Edited on 13-03-2012 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what boots have you got? I went through 3/4 pairs before I finally found the ones I'm really comfy in which incidentally I got at TSA/Ellis Brighams in Manchester as well

[Edited on 13-03-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think back 15 back and front 15.5 but sure ive changed the front to 15, id have to check when i get home what i changed it to. I'm also goofy as well.
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah brilliant! I got the Burton Hail 11/12 in white. There comfy just think i might have had them to tight!
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

play around with your base plate settings, its probably not worth being equal (duck footed) if you're not riding switch a lot
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is is best to go chill factore and mess about with the settings there instead of just at home standing on it?
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, you need to ride it to find the best level of responsiveness and comfort. Also type of board, type of binding etc all have a massive influence - its about finding what's best suits you. I set up my Ride Antic board wtih Burton Mission bindings completely different to my Step Child/Union set up as the two ride completely differently
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers bud ill have a play
Stu

13th Mar 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you ever want to tag along with me at Chill or Cas Vegas your more than welcome. Just add me on Facebook - speedsixstu@googlemail.com or follow our shop freestyle page to see where we are at http://www.facebook.com/pages/the-asylum-manchester/133887856649767
Stu

13th Mar 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We do a little edit most weeks too, helps you progress when you can see where your going wrong!
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stu i've just added you! Yeah that be greatfull if i could do! Much appreciated. How do you mean with the edit? Actually snowboading or writing it down?
Stu

13th Mar 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On Facebook? Not got a friend request? Yeah any time matey, the more the merrier plus you will learn miles more and progress quicker if your pushed!

We basically film each other then edit the best bits (or worst bits/slams) together. So you can see what your doing right or wrong. As below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkQjNFzpy_k&list=UUTJSRWYhfxJyrfiEA1cphcw&index=18&feature=plcp
Wayne

13th Mar 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah says Friend request sent! It's no fun going on my own as i have no idea what to do!

Ahh sounds brilliant! As above i mentioned got some new boots and not sure if my board is set up correctly as i was getting front knee pain when using lift and boarding a little not sure if my front foot binding is angled to much?
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stu, when are you next at ChillF, might tag along
Stu

13th Mar 12 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wayne
Yeah says Friend request sent! It's no fun going on my own as i have no idea what to do!

Ahh sounds brilliant! As above i mentioned got some new boots and not sure if my board is set up correctly as i was getting front knee pain when using lift and boarding a little not sure if my front foot binding is angled to much?

Thats strange? Not received one yet? Did you use my email addy?

Its so hard to learn when your on your own. All you can do is watch what people do and try and imitate it! Not always the best really, they say practice makes perfect but if your practising something and getting it wrong it can actually be worse!

Front knee pain could be just that your not used to the lift or it could be that your stance/angles are too wide. When riding freestyle you will find yourself in switch a lot of the time so I ride 15 degrees on both feet. A good rule of thumb for stance width is the length of your arm from elbow to fingertip plus a hand with a flat thumb. Measure how long that distance is then that width should be between the centres of each binding disc (Does that make sense?)

Was going to ride Cas on Thursday but have had man flu since I rode Chill Thursday and Friday last week. Ill be riding Chill next Thursday and Friday if anyone fancies it! Usually a few of us!

Stu

13th Mar 12 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want some inspiration have a look at the movies my mate Jamie makes. Mostly filmed abroad or down at Tamworth but the last one had bits filmed at Chill Factor and Castleford. Always wanted to get a part in one of his edits but have always been injured or away

http://grindhousesnowboard.com/
RichR
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what's your current deck/bindings Stu?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snowboarders/Skiers 22 database queries in 0.0163488 seconds