corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Toolbox -rollcab worktop.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Toolbox -rollcab worktop.
csweatherston

User status: Offline
18th Mar 12 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,
I have just picked up a dirt cheap snap on rollcab.
Its a bit tatty , but straight.. so its getting stripped down the off to the powdercoaters.

In the mean time i intend on making a worksurface for it.

This is the rollcab:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=651164&group_ID=681732&store=uk&dir=catalog
Its currently black but covered in scratches so will be going "battleship grey"

This is the "snap on" worksurface.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=642144&group_ID=674747&store=&dir=catalog

Im hoping to use: http://www.howdens.com/product-range/kitchen-collection/worktops/solid-wood-40mm-616mm-deep/
as this should be strong enough for what i need.

Can anyone tell me the properties of beech/ oak/ iroko and which would be best suited for what i need?.
Whats the hardest wearing, whats easiest to work with etc.

Or any other ideas appreciated.
ash_corsa

18th Mar 12 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why use a solid wood when its just going to get battered and covered in grease and oil?

Id be using cheap laminate, wont stain, wipe clean and if it gets knackered just replace it.

What about some thick MDF board with a stainless steel sheet ontop, edges bent over to completely cover the MDF.
Dave

18th Mar 12 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All three of those will be hard wearing, probably iroko hardest then oak then beech, however the worktop won't be as wide as the Snap On one.
As far as working goes if you are only cutting to length again they'll be pretty similar, certainly nothing that would make you buy one over the other.
alan-g-w

18th Mar 12 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking about this myself mate, fuck buying a top from them though. I was going to get the box makers at work to knock me something up maybe, I'm not fussed with just the mat just now anyway
csweatherston

18th Mar 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt get my 52 in the end Alan.. got a 54" rollcab instead lol.

Ash, Wood looks nice... I want something practical which still looks the balls whilst being functional.
Laminate...looks like laminate, and when steel gets scratched it looks cack.
Atleast with a "butchers block" i can sand it down if it looks too tatty.

Why wont it be as wide Dave?.
surely it will be as wide as i cut it?.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-OAK-WOOD-WORKTOP-2m-x-625mm-x-40mm-79-inc-VAT-/310387273514?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item484485ef2a
With 1/2 a meter spare...to make a shelf?
csweatherston

18th Mar 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beech-Worktop-1-5m-X-605-X-40mm-Solid-Wood-Worktop-40mm-Staves-/251014839194?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item3a71a67b9a
Dave

18th Mar 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're confusing length and width.

The Snap On one is 27 5/8", roughly 700mm, the Howdens ones(and most off the shelf worktops) are 616mm. I've no idea whether this will be a problem, just pointing it out.

Ash isn't particularly durable, although it would probably be ok for what you need. Personally I'd be going after something like teak which will cope well with the oil/grease.
A cheaper option would be a good plywood, you could double it up to get the thickness and cut it exactly to size.
alan-g-w

18th Mar 12 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate

You'd definetely want a soft surface (wood, plastic or rubber I'd say) because it's just more ergonomically pleasing imo. Means you're certain that you're not going to damage any delicate components you put down on it either
csweatherston

18th Mar 12 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, didnt even notice that. Thanks Dave.

Am i right in thinking hardwood needs oiling every so often?. so a varnish would be no good?.
I have thought of Marine ply, but wouldnt have a clue where to get it.
Dave

18th Mar 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A varnish would be ok, if you really wanted to go to town you could use a bar top laquer, that would make it really hard, stop oil getting into the wood and be easy to keep clean.

Any builders merchant, Builder Center, Jewsons etc will stock ply, WBP with a hardwood face would be the best bet.
csweatherston

18th Mar 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update:
Just baught the snap on worksurface above...
Now i need to try and courier it from Hampshire to Devon.
alan-g-w

19th Mar 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shit mate, only reason I didn't go for the equivalent of that is the price of them!

[Edited on 19-03-2012 by alan-g-w]
scottyp1989

19th Mar 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/planed-square-edge-timber/Planed-Smooth-Timber-L-2700-x-W-34-x-T-34mm-9275824

i would have used couple lengths of that and some varnish TBH, like fuck would i be paying nearly £400 for a bit of wood thats going to get filthy and wrecked anyway.
Dave

19th Mar 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That'll most likely be whites, the same stuff you use for roofing/studwork. It's very soft and usually full of dry dead knots. Also the pic is a bit misleading as its 34mm square, not a plank like it shows.

Agree on the £400 bit though, massive Snap On tax there.
alan-g-w

19th Mar 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not getting my back up or anything in case it sounds that way, but the fact of the matter is that because it's Snap On you know that it'll last - you only need to hold some of their tools to realise just how much time, effort and of course money has gone into the develpoment. I've not even got that many of their products but from the few that I do have or used, you'd be pretty hard pushed to find a better equivalent. Not to mention that everything's life guarenteed as far as I know so even if it does get wrecked I'd bet that they'd replace it to an extent.

[Edited on 19-03-2012 by alan-g-w]
scottyp1989

19th Mar 12 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if it is soft you can do it 50+ times over for the prive of the snapon one.

I know a guy who works for snapon, hes told me their policy is if the tool breaks then its come to the end of its life so out of warrenty, could be talking bollox tho.
csweatherston

20th Mar 12 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Totally agree with Alan.
One of the older members of staff at my place had a cheap screwdriver shank snap and went through his palm.
Fot this reason i only use quality tools.

As with most thinkgs the snap on warrenty becomes void if you misuse the tool.
IE. using a spanner as a lever bar.

Luckily i managed to get the £400 worktop for £150, which is only slightly more than it would have cost to make it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Toolbox -rollcab worktop. 22 database queries in 0.0155690 seconds