corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Advice - copyright

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice - copyright
Warren G

User status: Offline
22nd Mar 12 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to be selling Z20LET into Corsa C wiring Diagrams - as theres people willing to pay for it,

I think the best way would be to post a paper document to them, then its harder to copy / sell on

If i was to email it, in say a PDF, its easierly copied and sold on

is that the best way? or can anyone else think of another way
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you did PDF it then you'd have to watermark it to fuck and put aload of WG shit in it saying you'll do conversions and blah blah blah. Its just one of them facts that someone will share it. If you found it on another site for free you could write to the admins asking them to take it down as its copyright.

If you just send paper copies then they have to go to the trouble of scanning it in to PDF and mailing it out, not exactly hard either.
Linch

22nd Mar 12 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could host it on your site in a restricted log in area? thats also not printable and had water marks on them?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are putting images into the guide for a digital version, make sure theres a big fat dirty watermark on it that doesnt screw up customers reading it, so then people can't copy it that way.
Warren G

22nd Mar 12 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My thoughts are though its more hassle for me, not many people have scanners, and people will be less likely to try and sell on, and il watermark them too
AndyKent

22nd Mar 12 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots of people have cameras on their phones. Its more effort than its worth to copyright it.

If it costs you nothing to put together I'd see it as a bonus that you can sell them. Watermarking to fuck is just annoying for genuine buyers.
Warren G

22nd Mar 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but taking a picture of paper document never come out clear... which again advantage

Brett
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol it's easy to photo paper. Whatever you do, if someone wants to steal and distribute then they will.
AndyKent

22nd Mar 12 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
but taking a picture of paper document never come out clear... which again advantage

Look on facebook, how many people are happy enough with photos of their wedding photographed from a professionals album?

If its free people don't give a shit.
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waste of time. Noone will care if its watermarked.

People happliy dl music and film illegally, I cant see them caring about a wiring diagram
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you not sell premade looms instead?
John

22nd Mar 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone has a scanner, there's no real way to prevent it.
mattievRS

23rd Mar 12 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get some kind of special laminate these days that when you try and copy it, it wont copy due to the reflections. Cant remember where ive seen it though.
John

23rd Mar 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone can look at it with their eyes they can copy it.
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Mar 12 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Within less than 24hrs it will be for sale on EBay....
antnee

23rd Mar 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just stick massive water marks all over it.
fazza

23rd Mar 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Could you not sell premade looms instead?
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Mar 12 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watermark it and mark the border somewhere with "Intellectual Property Rights retained by................ For more information contact..............."
John

23rd Mar 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even a pre-made loom, all you need is a multimeter.

How difficult would it be for somebody to reproduce anyway? Is it spending a couple of hours with a cup of coffee on EPC and whatever the other one is called or is there more to it than that?
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Mar 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
watermark it and mark the border somewhere with "Intellectual Property Rights retained by................ For more information contact..............."

Doesn't matter what he puts on it!

24hrs it'll be on the bay end of.

As mentioned making up wiring looms etc may be a better plan. But they'd be copied but at least you could claim to be "the original" etc etc.

You'll never ever stop people copying your ideas and people will always do it and drag the price down. Bad for you good for consumer. Supply and demand.
fazza

23rd Mar 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Even a pre-made loom, all you need is a multimeter.

How difficult would it be for somebody to reproduce anyway? Is it spending a couple of hours with a cup of coffee on EPC and whatever the other one is called or is there more to it than that?

you say that but twag used to make the corsa b XE/LET conversion looms and sold fooking loads, no one since has tried to make the either and im sure it wasnt hard to do the plugs

RichR
Premium Member

23rd Mar 12 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
quote:

As mentioned making up wiring looms etc may be a better plan. But they'd be copied but at least you could claim to be "the original" etc etc.

You'll never ever stop people copying your ideas and people will always do it and drag the price down. Bad for you good for consumer. Supply and demand.

I realise that, I was considering the further information as that way, his contact details will be intertwined with the wiring diagram, more difficult to remove and therefore if someone sells it on (without going to the extent of re-drawing the schematic) then his details will be apparent and he becomes a point of contact for further information and potential sales
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Mar 12 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
quote:

I realise that, I was considering the further information as that way, his contact details will be intertwined with the wiring diagram, more difficult to remove and therefore if someone sells it on (without going to the extent of re-drawing the schematic) then his details will be apparent and he becomes a point of contact for further information and potential sales

Oh I know what you're saying. But as someone who has sold many a thing on Ebay and the like. I've had it countless times. You have a good idea and within sometimes hours of the first sales like for like adverts turn up.

It is quite awesome sometimes how fast it happens. I'm pretty sure some people make a living simply by trawling the web and copying ideas as fast as possible. As for wiring diagrams I've seen something similar redone in hours and punted out. It's shocking.

I feel that a wiring loom like twag did would be a good bet as I never saw that copied TBH. You have more chance when selling something tangible/manufactured any diagram or software etc is going to be copied in hours as it's easy to do. At least with something like a wiring loom you've got to source parts and make them to turn a profit. A diagram is just too plain easy to knock off.

That said how many folk are knocking out conversion mounts and shafts etc. If there is a demand it will be copied sooner or later.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Mar 12 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you supply it on a copy protected DVD? That'll a least slow people down copying it?

Or write it in uv ink and supply it with a uv light...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Advice - copyright 22 database queries in 0.0201511 seconds