corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Someone shed some light please (insurance)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Someone shed some light please (insurance)
Matty SRi

User status: Offline
7th Apr 12 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, i want to check what way this would work...
My brother lives in Ireland, has an insurance policy over there which covers him on other cars, including in UK. Now, hes wanting to come over here and buy a car... Will he be legal to drive it though? IE. when a car is not insured over here, it has to be SORN'd, so if he buys, it obviously wont be insured, but as he has his own policy, he would be covered to drive it.
Obviously it would show as no insurance and get pulled, produce insurance there and then etc. But what about tax? Obviously without a policy on it, it can't be taxed... Would it be ok for a week or 2 driving it like this? Before it has to get sorn'd?

Very confusing due to the new law, but if anyone can shed some light, be much appreciated
Tomnova16
Premium Member

7th Apr 12 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car still needs to be insured.
If it has no. Tax. Or no mot or no insurance it can't be driven unless on trade plates

[Edited on 07-04-2012 by Tomnova16]

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Apr 12 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He needs tax on the car he's driving so no, not possible.

The car is insured if he's insured to drive other cars except where he leaves it on a highway unattended.

The tax is the bigger issue because you can get around the second by being in charge of the car.
Matty SRi

7th Apr 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but im thinking, if he buys a car MOT'd and taxed, it wouldnt be SORN'd straight away... He would have his own cover on it, but it is still taxed?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

7th Apr 12 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, for him to be able to drive it, it must be insured by somebody other than himself.

It also must be taxed to be driven at all, unless covered by trade plates as Tom says above.

Finally, if he's just coming over here to buy it, why is he going to drive it around for a week or two
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Apr 12 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
for him to be able to drive it, it must be insured by somebody other than himself.

I'm on the fence about that one, so long as you don't leave it on a highway unattended you should be OK?

Not a condition of my driving other cars that they must also be insured I don't think? I've never done it but I've also never had conclusive proof about it.
Matty SRi

7th Apr 12 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Finally, if he's just coming over here to buy it, why is he going to drive it around for a week or two

Because he will be staying with me for a a week or 2 as a holiday
Matty SRi

7th Apr 12 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
for him to be able to drive it, it must be insured by somebody other than himself.

I'm on the fence about that one, so long as you don't leave it on a highway unattended you should be OK?

Not a condition of my driving other cars that they must also be insured I don't think? I've never done it but I've also never had conclusive proof about it.

Yeah he should be covered to drive it, his policy doesnt state that the car has to be insured by someone else so it should be ok in that respect.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Apr 12 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nor mine but there may still be a reason why he can't do it. It's academic in this case if the car doesn't have tax.

Is he planning to put the car in his name anyway? That may allow him to buy tax with the green slip because he'll have a covernote for that reg.

[Edited on 07-04-2012 by Ian]
Matty SRi

7th Apr 12 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Nor mine but there may still be a reason why he can't do it. It's academic in this case if the car doesn't have tax.

Is he planning to put the car in his name anyway? That may allow him to buy tax with the green slip because he'll have a covernote for that reg.

[Edited on 07-04-2012 by Ian]

Car wont be going in his name, because then the open drive wouldnt cover on it because it be in his name. But the policy wouldnt state that specific car so he wouldnt be able to tax it?
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Apr 12 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was meaning when he gets it back, he'll need to eventually insure it.
Matty SRi

7th Apr 12 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car will be going to Ireland anyway, get VRT'd and put on Irish plates, so will be insured there anyway
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Apr 12 at 23:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And you can't buy UK tax with the Irish insurance? Or do you not want to waste a month's tax on it.
Matty SRi

8th Apr 12 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car he bought wouldnt have a valid policy on it though, the current insurance will be on a different car, and the insurance cert has to have that specific car on it to tax it doesnt it?
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Apr 12 at 00:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I meant, put his insurance on the new car.
Matty SRi

8th Apr 12 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He wouldnt be able to trasnfer it because the new car will be a Cossie, and he has no NCB and only had licence a year because he was banned in Ireland.
John

8th Apr 12 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's always people with bans and shit doing this. Nobody who is always insured properly.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Apr 12 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So he's going to own and insure a low risk car and drive the Cossie full time as another vehicle? That won't be within the terms of his ability to drive other cars though?

Unless he leaves it in someone else's name. Even then he can't park it anywhere.
Matty SRi

8th Apr 12 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
So he's going to own and insure a low risk car and drive the Cossie full time as another vehicle? That won't be within the terms of his ability to drive other cars though?

Unless he leaves it in someone else's name. Even then he can't park it anywhere.

No, he already has a car over there, and has open drive to cover him on a car over here until he gets back and changes it to Irish plates, just need to know if anything will stop him from being able to buy a car over here and drive it back.

The Cossie wont be driven full time, its just while he's driving it over here he needs to know if he can do it.

[Edited on 08-04-2012 by Matty SRi]
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Apr 12 at 01:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Fair enough, definitely a condition of mine. I just assumed it was the same for all, as it is designed to avoid the type of thing being mentioned in this thread.
Matty SRi

8th Apr 12 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's always people with bans and shit doing this. Nobody who is always insured properly.

Doing what? Buying another car? Thats what open insurance is for.... He's buying another car over here, and taking it over there, he has open insurance to cover him while he's here, i wanted to know if there is anything else to stop him.
What does that have to do with being banned or insuring properly?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Someone shed some light please (insurance) 23 database queries in 0.1737330 seconds