corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snowboarding - Best places to buy gear?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snowboarding - Best places to buy gear?
Xs

User status: Offline
8th Apr 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently started snowboarding and looking to take the plunge into buying my own board, bindings and boots. I am guessing just now is a good time to buy as there are sales with the season ending. So can anyone recommend good websites etc to look on?
ed

8th Apr 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try and find a local shop rather than your Ellis Brighams or Snow+Rocks - they're like factories and their staff are often overly pushy and sprout a fair bit of bullshit. I wouldn't know anywhere near you to recommend specifically though. Don't order online either as it sounds like it's your first set of kit - a good bit of face to face advise goes a long way!
RichR
Premium Member

8th Apr 12 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Subvert, snow and rock, The Snowboard Assylum, Surfanic all have sales on now.I use Subvert a lot
RichR
Premium Member

8th Apr 12 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never buy boots offline, you definitely need to be fitted for them-boots will make or break your experience and every boot, even the same make and model can be slightly different as they're all still hand crafted unlike moulded ski boots. I went through three sets before finding ones I'm truly comfortable in
RichR
Premium Member

8th Apr 12 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure where you live in relation to Fort William or Glasgow but the guys in both of those TSA are good and have good customer skills-also try boardwise. Finally talk to whoever has taught you for their recommendations.
Rob_Quads

8th Apr 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100% agree with the boots comment.

My biggest rule is go with the boots that fit you best. Go into somewhere that has a range of makes (not just one as they have different shapes). Try on at least one pair from every company. Go for the boots that fit best, ignore the cost - it might sound easy to say but its better to spend £150/200 on a set of boots that fit perfectly than £100 and not be right when you find out you've wasted a day of your £500/£1000 holiday because your feet hurt so much (multiply that over 2/3/4/5 holidays its worth the investment)

Take a look at the SnowboardClub for some good companies to use. SS20, FreezeProSphop, extreme pie, S2AS are a few I have used in the past during sale season to get a bargain
RichR
Premium Member

8th Apr 12 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also surfdome for other gear
Xs

8th Apr 12 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just fancied the Nike boots
allza

8th Apr 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have Nike boots and they are actually the most comfortable pair I've owned!
Stu

8th Apr 12 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use TSA myself (cos I ride for them tho ) but most online places do the same stuff anyway!

Echo the comments about the boots tho!! I found the Nikes too stiff me, still not found a better boot than 2010/11 Burton Hails!
Xs

9th Apr 12 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about board / bindings? I'm new, I'm not great and just want a decent all round combination to start with.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Apr 12 at 07:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't find anything comfier than my Northwave Legends havin bought Burton Motos and Vans before but then my best mate swears by vans. It really is worth spending the time with a knowledgable retailer and try on everything and walk around in them until you're happy otherwise you'll waste time and money with the wrong pair.

As for board and bindings, I'd steer clear of beginner's set ups, you'll outgrow them in no time and again it'll have been a waste of money as you'll want to move on quickly, look at intermediate, midrange boards from Rome, K2, Burton etc-at that level they're similar in both price and flex and they'll be fine as an all round combo wether you're riding indoor or all mountain-once you progress, you can move on to boards specific to whatever route you go down.
Xs

9th Apr 12 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of price bracket will intermediate board and bindings fall into? I did see that TSA place let's you trial boards at Xscape Sno:zone, so think I'll give them a visit. Hopefully can get some kind of deal out of them as I'd be buying boots, board, bindings and a helmet for both myself and my girlfriend.
Stu

9th Apr 12 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you buy something now (out of season) you will get a board, boots and bindings for about £400 and that will be a set up that's worth double that!

Ive always liked freestyle setups for beginners myself! Everything is nice and soft so your mistakes aren't punished! I like Rockers too, give you a real loose feel which will make turning easier if your new to it! Plus in this country freestyle is where you will end up anyway as the minute you can turn you will soon get bored of going up and down a 150m slope!
corb

9th Apr 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as we're on the subject, ive got burton moto boots and find that on my right shin, they rub REALLY badly...... to the point of it taking the skin off and leaving me with a really bad cut, ive got scars from the 3 holidays ive used them for! why is that happening, any ideas?
RichR
Premium Member

9th Apr 12 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get new boots, only thing to do-I was in agony every time I wore my motos
corb

9th Apr 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

annoying thing is, they felt really comfy when i tried them in the shop..... its only when im riding / turning hard in them so i could end up with the same problem again!
ed

9th Apr 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What socks are you wearing? Good thing about ski boots is you can modify the shell to get the fit perfect, I guess you can't do this with snowboard boots as the construction is different.
Rob_Quads

9th Apr 12 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your getting rubbing it means your moving around too much in the boot. Do you have thin ankles/legs?

Do your boots loosen off at all? Might be worth making sure they are always done up nice and tight etc.

Normally with that sort of a problem its a case of the boots don't fit you.
corb

9th Apr 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thick ski socks ed, couldnt tell you what make! had them years!

ive tried tightening the boots right up, then loosen a little bit to let the blood flow through! Wouldnt say i have fat legs....shin diameter measurement(just measured it!) of just over 31cm
ed

9th Apr 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thick socks are usually the worst for cold toes, pinching and rubbing. All the best socks are super thin as the insulation comes from the boot and the improved circulation helps no end.
Xs

9th Apr 12 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
If you buy something now (out of season) you will get a board, boots and bindings for about £400 and that will be a set up that's worth double that!

Ive always liked freestyle setups for beginners myself! Everything is nice and soft so your mistakes aren't punished! I like Rockers too, give you a real loose feel which will make turning easier if your new to it! Plus in this country freestyle is where you will end up anyway as the minute you can turn you will soon get bored of going up and down a 150m slope!

Where abouts and what boards? I've not seen that much off anything?

I'll need to try TSA at Xscape and see if I can blag a shot on a couple of different types of boards, but freestyle is what I am aiming for.
RichR
Premium Member

9th Apr 12 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait 2-3 weeks and we'll be fully out of season and the sales will really kick in
Stu

9th Apr 12 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a similar setup to mine although I ride a 151

K2 WWW, 154 is a good all round size for you £200
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/snowboards/k2-snowboarding/800636/www-11_12

Union Contacs, class binding! Not much else to say
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/snowboard-bindings/union/802626/contact-11_12

Boots are a tough one, getthe ones that fit you right! Loads here for about £100 ish quid so not too far over budget
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/snowboard-boots/store/all/and////1
emicen

9th Apr 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TSA, Boardwise, Freeze, Ellis Brigham

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snowboarding - Best places to buy gear? 22 database queries in 0.0122941 seconds