corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Aprilia RS125? Opinions?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Aprilia RS125? Opinions?
jrdn7

User status: Offline
13th Apr 12 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's one for the bike lads on here (There are bound to be some!). I'm after one of these Aprilia's cause I can get my 125cc license here next month and need my own form of transport!

Need a few opinions on it, like reliability, MPG, service schedule etc.

And the big question, how much can I get a decent one for? Under £750?

Cheers!
Phillips_91

13th Apr 12 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had one,
reliability: GOD FUCKING AWFUL!! pushed more times than riden
MPG bout 100 miles to a tank which iirc was 7/8 litres
not sure on service schedule as mine blew the engine 3 times in 2 weeks so consisted purely of re-builds

decent one for around a grand if you go for the older (imo better) style

big question, would i get another? in a fucking heartbeat, it was so fun to ride, just be prepared for alot of repairs!!
Jonny.K

13th Apr 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u want a quick expensive bike thatl undoubtably go bang jus buy a cagiva mito rarer jus as quick if not quicker and look soooo much better almost like ducatis stunning little bike
jrdn7

13th Apr 12 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye Philips_91, I heard about some reliability 'issues'! According to a mate (Who's an Aprilia racing guru) and the tech sheet there's a 14 litre tank in some model of it.

Cagiva Mito? I've searched for them for years with my late Granda. We found only one, in the south of England, but the old boy who had it wanted £7k iirc for it.

What other bikes can people recommend? Must be 125cc!
Phillips_91

13th Apr 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny.K
if u want a quick expensive bike thatl undoubtably go bang jus buy a cagiva mito rarer jus as quick if not quicker and look soooo much better almost like ducatis stunning little bike

personally think the rs is one of the better looking 125 bikes, it actually looks like a proper bike, whereas all the others look like they've only got small engines, too skinny imo

the only other bike i can think of better looking is the yamaha yzf-r125 but ive ridden one of them and the handling is god awful, especially compared to the rs
pagey

13th Apr 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a Rossi rep rs 125 de restricted, gave me no probs whatsoever in the time I owned it probably
Around 8 months or so until i passed my test and bought a gixxer! Great starting bike and still sporty too
colonel_g

13th Apr 12 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres my 125 extrema.1997, was a normal black 125 rs rep. paid £600 with tax and test standard

corsadonk
Premium Member

13th Apr 12 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mito's are best, I'd say let it idle for a bit before riding, and wait for it to be warm before giving it some shit. The only thing that went wrong was the starter motor, but they're easy to bump start.

Like you've said they're pretty rare. My mate had a Aprilia at the time, and it didn't handle as well.
tom130691
Premium Member

13th Apr 12 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all 125 2strokes will have issues and apprilias get the reputation as there all ragged, how this works in you favor as the bits are easy to get, as my friend has just realised after fucking up his nsr 125
jrdn7

13th Apr 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by colonel_g
heres my 125 extrema.1997, was a normal black 125 rs rep. paid £600 with tax and test standard

Lovely bike! Clean as! Wanna donate it as a birthday present?

quote:

orignally posted by tom130691
all 125 2strokes will have issues and apprilias get the reputation as there all ragged, how this works in you favor as the bits are easy to get, as my friend has just realised after fucking up his nsr 125

Aye, NSR 125's are impossible to get parts for over here. And when you get them they are seriously dear! handy I live near the border then! haha
Pucci1

13th Apr 12 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a rs125 on a w reg never ever let me down. Used to travel to work and to college on it, always waited to it read warm on the clock then set off. Serviced. Mpg good just be careful i dont think the old ones come with petrol senders or gauges :/

Really nice bike, easy to work quick around town, you get reminded its only a 125 on the dual carriage ways.
Ojc

14th Apr 12 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate this bollkcks about unreliabiltiy because it's exactly that. Brilliant bikes, get a Cagiva at uour peril 7 speed box made of cheese and good luck getting parts
corsadonk
Premium Member

14th Apr 12 at 06:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ducati shape have a 6 speed box, good for 190kmh down hill.
Phillips_91

14th Apr 12 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I hate this bollkcks about unreliabiltiy because it's exactly that. Brilliant bikes, get a Cagiva at uour peril 7 speed box made of cheese and good luck getting parts

I was going off first hand experience, still think he should get one, just dont plan on it being your sole form of transport as it will let you down when you least want it to! brilliant bike though either way and he's got me looking for a cheap project now!!
Sunz

14th Apr 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For once I agree with OJC.

I had an rs which was fine for reliability, I let it warm up before use, used decent oil and it was spot on for the 2 years I owned it, sold it to my mates brother after that who put a 154cc kit on it, had it ported, polished, arrows exhaust and it still lasted him for the year or so he was using it.

My mate had a Mito, looked great but like said, good luck getting parts, 6 months he waited for something to do with the speedo for his Mito.
cavmad

14th Apr 12 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like anything else if abused/neglected/not serviced it's going to give trouble Using top grade oil and not being a complete idiot will extend the life by a fair amount. They are more 'fragile' then four strokes (for example) but that's part of the fun.
I'd have one in a heartbeat because they're ace fun, go well and sound brilliant. Parts seem easy to get too which is a big plus.
jrdn7

14th Apr 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't go for a Mito cause if it broke I'd never get parts where I am. And the 7 speed box would confuse the fuck outta me!

It probably will be my main form of transport for the next year or two, until I get a car/250cc. One thing I can actually fix is bikes! Haha

190km/h? Can someone translate to english for me? I've no converter on my phone!
taylorboosh

14th Apr 12 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how would it confuse you? you just have +1 up gears right?
jrdn7

14th Apr 12 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm more used to 6 speed boxes on a bike, I'd forget about an extra gear. Then again, the roads round here are too windy to even get into 5th!
Sunz

14th Apr 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

190km/h is 118mph.
jrdn7

14th Apr 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. Fast enough (for now) for me!!
ed

14th Apr 12 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an RX50 years back, never missed a beat
jrdn7

14th Apr 12 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

I don't think a 50cc would do me now! haha Need as much power as I can legally have! (33bhp )
3i_gaz

14th Apr 12 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love people who say these aren't reliable.

I had an rs125 Tuono for 2 years covered 14,000 miles and only ever put fuel in it, 2 stroke, plugs and changed the gear oil for the sake of.

Had a piston and rings when I sold it so it was fresh for the next person but tbh there was no reason for this just for peace of mind selling it on.

Keep the plugs changed, use a decent quality fully synthetic 2 stroke oil and ALWAYS warm them up. Make sure the power valve is free and the cable moves freely too as if the cables snap they kill the motor.
ed

14th Apr 12 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrdn7
quote:
Originally posted by ed

I don't think a 50cc would do me now! haha Need as much power as I can legally have! (33bhp )

Was a fun bike, but not all that quick in comparison to the 125. Was just saying that I had no problems with the engine, what with it being largely similar. I guess if you get one and it breaks you can always re-build it and hopefully having something that's like new. Parts are cheap and easy to get hold of.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Aprilia RS125? Opinions? 22 database queries in 0.1731479 seconds