corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sony BluRay + Denon Amp = FAIL!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sony BluRay + Denon Amp = FAIL!
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   26th Apr 12 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just realized this weekend, that the Denon 2310 + Sony 470 combo I have been running for the last two years has never been able to decode HD surround tracks.

A stupid fucking factory default setting on the Sony player downsamples all HD tracks to PCM.
This was pointed out to me by a bloke who came by to buy the Denon amp off me.

Turning it on resultet in a bright shining HD logo that I've not seen in the two years of owning the amp and will never see again.

Had I opened the manual I would have seen this explained on page 4...

Got a Sony BluRay player? Go in settings and turn "BD Audio Mix" off!!!

Balling
Premium Member

26th Apr 12 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh... [/rant] btw!

Dom

26th Apr 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noob

What are you replacing the Denon with?
AlunJ

26th Apr 12 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gutted
John

26th Apr 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My TV used to default to PCM all the time (think a firmware update has fixed it) and I could almost always tell straight away, sounds completely different from DD.
Balling
Premium Member

26th Apr 12 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Noob

What are you replacing the Denon with?

Indeed I am! Always been more in to the picture than the sound.
Had a huge discussion a year ago with a mate. I was claiming there was no noticeable difference between HD sound or any other surround format, he was claiming I was deaf.

Having fooled around with it, the HD formats do in deed have a fantastic clarity and detail level. Sound direction is also much pronounced.

I've replaced it with the new 2312. Not much difference, but wanted a change from silver to black, 3D functionality and AirPlay.

[Edited on 26-04-2012 by Balling]

Bart

26th Apr 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love it when my blue shiny HD Audio lights up when films are on
Balling
Premium Member

26th Apr 12 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

Seeing it only shortly on the 2310, it seemed very bright for a dark room. Normally have the display dimmed way down.

Luckily the 2312 doesn't have this techno light.

Toby
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 05:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you have been listening to downmixed HD audio and not noticed that for a year. I do think DTS Neo:6 can deal with 2channel audio well for a pseudo surround sound but you can deffo tell the difference between that and regular DTS, nevermind DTS-MA
stubs

27th Apr 12 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

I can't stand to have any equipment on show whilst watching TV, which is partly the reason it's all tucked away in a cupboard out of sight. Infact, I don't even like the little red/green power status LED on the front of the screen so I've covered it up with a tiny piece of black tape. I know when something is turned on - it's either making a noise, or giving out colours
Balling
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 08:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
So you have been listening to downmixed HD audio and not noticed that for a year. I do think DTS Neo:6 can deal with 2channel audio well for a pseudo surround sound but you can deffo tell the difference between that and regular DTS, nevermind DTS-MA

True!

Never gave it much thought tbh.
Think my weekend project will be to read the manual of the new amp. Still have no clue how to turn AirPlay on and there's no mentioning of it in the settings. Probably a lot of other stuff I haven't got a clue about either...

Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Apr 12 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome. I remember seeing my DTS-MA/TD lights for the first time after a right old battle with my samsung player.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

30th Apr 12 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BallingStill have no clue how to turn AirPlay on and there's no mentioning of it in the settings.

So, the Amp has to be connected to LAN for Airplay to work...

Turns out, it's actually just 'Play then!

Like fuck am I wiring a cable through two rooms to have wireless audio streaming.
Major fail Denon!

Dom

30th Apr 12 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically Apple Airplay is the protocol/process rather than wireless streaming. However, could you not just grab a cheap wireless AP? Would save you running CAT5/6 around.

New Poll