corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » What is?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What is?
nathy_87

User status: Offline
22nd May 12 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys,

what is the little icon called that is by the web address? And how do you make one and make it your thingymajig? As for this site it's the Alloy Wheel, eBay its obviously eBay etc.

cheers.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

favicon
Whittie

22nd May 12 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Favicon (Favourite Icon)

Make it in Photoshop in the correct dimensions but in 300dpi so it isn't blurry. Google Favicon makers, theres some free sites where you upload an image and it scales for you.

nathy_87

22nd May 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you gents.
Balling
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
in 300dpi so it isn't blurry.

I've seen some stupid remarks regarding DPI in web graphics, but this is one of the better.

Alex, read up on PPI and DPI. It only comes in to effect on physical productions. In a purely digital environment, ie. web, you have no control over PPI as it's determined by the end users screen.

Nathy, if I'm not mistaken the favicon is 16x16 px. In old days id needed to be an ICO file but most browsers will recognize a GIF or PNG with transparency.

Whittie

22nd May 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm no graphic guru dude, but if it has more pixels for me to work in, no doubt the quality of the final product would be better before resizing? Thought it made a difference for mine anyway
Dom

22nd May 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Favicon, read more here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Plenty of decent tutorials around like THIS and THIS.

Ideally use ICO, usually 16x16 although you can have multiple sizes within a single icon but it's file size vs the odd time someone saves the page as a desktop shortcut (usually the favicon is used for the shortcut icon), for browser support but if you're needing to support Apple mobile devices then you'd usually create multiple sizes based on the devices DPI (last tutorial above goes more into this).
Balling
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
if it has more pixels for me to work in, no doubt the quality of the final product would be better before resizing?

I'm not sure I can make sense of what you mean by that, but either way you are wrong.

Resizing ruins sharpness and quality as it interpolates the image and effectively deletes (if downsizing) or ads (if upsizing) pixels.
When making graphics it's always best to work in the finished resolution. In this case 16x16 px.

As for 300 DPI having an effect on quality, that is simply not true. First off, there is no such thing as DPI on a computer screen. It doesn't have dots.
Secondly, the amount of Pixels Per Inch is determined by the given screens physical resolution and is not something you can control.

What I think confuses you is this:

The resolution option only comes in to effect when you make or edit graphics and images intended for print.
It determines how large each of the pixels will be in a physical environment.

Whittie

22nd May 12 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're right, definately having a blonde moment mate

It's hard to make something look decent when the area is as small as a favicon though...!
Brett
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling displaying his pixel prowess
Balling
Premium Member

22nd May 12 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Balling displaying his pixel prowess

Only scratching the surface mate!

nathy_87

22nd May 12 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you do me one then. .

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » What is? 25 database queries in 0.0097508 seconds