corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Changes in law - storage of cookies

Poll: Changes in law - storage of cookies
Aware that you do some things that facilitate me being here, and it's fine 23 (26.44%)
Wasn't aware but yeah, clearly needs doing, I am now fine 9 (10.34%)
Wasn't aware and I'm worried what you're doing and I need to have more information or choice 3 (3.45%)
Couldn't give a monkey's 52 (59.77%)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Changes in law - storage of cookies
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
27th May 12 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need some opinion on this. The law has changed and there are now requirements to make people more aware and give them more choices about what is stored on their computer.

If you're not familiar, when you log in, CS puts a file on your computer so every time you read a page, it knows who you are.

The new guidance says that we should firstly make you aware what is happening and secondly give you the option to not have the file stored.

This would of course be a pain in the ass because it's difficult to record your choice if you say no - because you're then not allowed to record it on your computer, but you also can't record it on the CS computer because it won't reliably know who you are next time you come here - so the likelihood is that you'd be asked many times and have to answer no many times.

Alternatively if you answered yes, then you're in the same position as you were had I not have asked, but you've had to answer a tick box or a pop up or some other thing which is more faff for limited reason.

Just curious to see what your feelings are and whether I should make any major changes or whether on the most part, people feel sufficiently well informed about what is going on that no major changes are necessary.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knew it would have to do something like that, not bothered by it though

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Ben G

27th May 12 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would this mean that if i didn't store CS cookies on my computer, i would have to log in everytime i went to another page?
Ian
Site Administrator

27th May 12 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the cookie is an important part of how your login is recorded.
Ben G

27th May 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that would be a right PITA.
ed

27th May 12 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It strikes me that this new law has been written up by someone non-technical. Most websites who use cookies aren't tracking you in some paranoid Daily Mail way, they're just keeping you logged in or maintaining your session.
John

27th May 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had to deal with a couple of clients regarding this, one of the most stupid, ill thought out laws ever.

As ed says, made up by someone with no understanding of the subject.
Paul_JC

27th May 12 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find cookies are best kept in a jar. .

On a serious note i don't mind its just one of those things where the government are being big brother.. in my opinion of course.
LeeM

27th May 12 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
It strikes me that this new law has been written up by someone non-technical. Most websites who use cookies aren't tracking you in some paranoid Daily Mail way, they're just keeping you logged in or maintaining your session.

Exactly this, someone who's never used a computer has probably been told about cookies and declared it an outrage and demanded the people be told immediately!
ed

27th May 12 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was listening to Radio 1 the other day, they described cookies as software how I'll advised to you want to get?
Nath

27th May 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Was listening to Radio 1 the other day, they described cookies as software how I'll advised to you want to get?

Did they then have a news story on F1 and play F1 car noises just so you knew what they were talking about?

Newsbeat is fucking joke.
Jed D

27th May 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like cookies
RichR
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not just put a statement in the T&Cs and acceptance is by virtue when signing up?
Jamie-C

27th May 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep it the way it is. I couldn't be bothered having to log in every time I left or ticking boxes all the time.
Toby
Premium Member

27th May 12 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Potenially I wouldn't change anything it just knock up an FAQ page on how o change it on your web browser so you not require cookies being stored. My opinion would be that of your not happy about CS doing it there's a good chance you don't want anyone else doing it.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th May 12 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Can you not just put a statement in the T&Cs and acceptance is by virtue when signing up?

Problem being there's no official guidance on the level of response which is proportionate and some web sites are relying on their existing T&C while some are going the whole hog and not storing anything at all until they get complete consent.

Official ICO line is vague although they do say you can't rely on it if its not visible -

'You should not rely on the fact that users might have read a privacy policy that is perhaps hard to find or difficult to understand.'

So yeah but implication if you do more than that then you're OK.

I'm currently favouring as soft an approach as I can get away with and certainly not some of the lengths that some other forums have gone to.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th May 12 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any more for any more
Sam
Premium Member

28th May 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't done anything about it yet because I'm probably being thick and not understanding whether I have to do some major code hacking in my websites or if I can simply point people to the privacy policy and explain how to adjust the cookie settings in their browsers.
Neil

28th May 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just going to use a javascript animate to bring up a note in the bottom right corner saying essential cookies have been set with a link to the privacy policy, a bit about blocking cookies with browser and an accept cookies button that will stop the note from being shown again..

The note will disappear after 20 seconds, but will appear on every page unless they accept..
ed

28th May 12 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just leave everything as is - the guys enforcing this have stated they aren't going to be fining anyone because 99.999% of the time the cookies being stored aren't breaching any data protection laws. Plus, I don't see how they're going to go about checking this all out?

Had a thought though, if your website is hosted out of the EU, do the rules still apply?
Neil

28th May 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Had a thought though, if your website is hosted out of the EU, do the rules still apply?

I would also like to know this.
Steve X16XE

29th May 12 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that it's the type of people who are thinking that you're storing something on my computer therefore you can now view everything on my computer eg passwords, my bank details etc.

I know very little about the subject but from what i've heard and read on this page, it does seam to be someone with NO computer knowledge at all. I bet it's the same group who said you can't sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" or call a "Chalk Board, a Black Board" as it might upset someone!
AndyKent

29th May 12 at 06:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Utterly ridiculous situation. Personally I think there's a good argument that if you aren't misusing the data it's pointless making a big fuss about it to your users.

I wouldn't do anything, just check the cookies being set are as minimal as possible.
Steve
Premium Member

29th May 12 at 06:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is ridiuclous, the only people that will go to any effort to display the warning are the people using cookies legitimately, anyone flaunting it is hardly going to worry about silly warnings

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Changes in law - storage of cookies 25 database queries in 0.0168262 seconds