corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Helpful Photographers in here please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Helpful Photographers in here please
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Jun 12 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going to the BTCC tomorrow and want to get some deecent pictures of some cars
im handy with a camera but dont realy know too much about it all tbh

anyways, how do you take shots like this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1263/771175841_017bf21ab1.jpg

im guessing its a low shutter speed and then just pan across with the car as it goes by?
or does anyone know of any other ways to take good moveing car pictures?

thanks guys
BluKoo

9th Jun 12 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you've got it. Longer shutter speed and track the car as it moves.

To make sure you don't over expose the image you'll probably have to use a small apperture (high f number).
Or just put it in shutter priority and let the camera work it out.

Here's a video tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzNtp1shXU

Remember you can always practice the technique at the side of a road (as long as you don't mind looking like a car spotter).

[Edited on 09-06-2012 by BluKoo]
Gaz

9th Jun 12 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be honest, it take a lot of practice to get shots like you originally posted so don't be disheartened when you look at your shots at the end of the day - remember also that it's most likely been shot is "Pro" gear also.
John G

9th Jun 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Youll have to play around as the speeds will be different, lighting will change. just play around and try different spots on the track, theres loadsa good spots at Oulton Park.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

9th Jun 12 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gaz ive got a nikon d50 camera. Used to be quite into photography but i have never done any moveing shots realy. Just still ones or model photography. Hence needing the advice realy
And i know most of the pictures will come out poo. But im hopeing ill get a couple of goodens
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

9th Jun 12 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and blukoo thank you very much for the tutorial

Also john where would you say is the best place for photo's at oulton
BluKoo

9th Jun 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just googled "photography locations oulton park" and got this: http://www.mattsayle.co.uk/OultonParkPhotographersGuide.pdf
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

9th Jun 12 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutley brilliant dude . Thanks man
John G

9th Jun 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats a good thread off TalkPhotography, honestly mate, get your walking shoes on and try all the corners i was there Tuesday and i simply went to every corner my personal favourites are the avenue straight, cascades, Brittens chicane, Druids and lodge corner, so basically all the major spots, can get close up shots on all corners . Heres my pictures from tuesday - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=636910
Gaz

10th Jun 12 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The famous Oulton Park Mat Sayle - that lad makes oulton photography! hehe

Flaffy - Blukoo has sum'd it up pretty well but as John pointed out - just play around with settings - you can alway edit in motion blur afterwards
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th Jun 12 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i went, didnt realy get any good shots to be honest with you, zoom on my camera was no way near good enough to get any good pictures what so ever :/
gave up after a while, going to hunt out a new lens i think
andy1868

11th Jun 12 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shame i've just seen this i've been afew times and could have given you some pointers

what lens have you got flaffy?
Rob E

11th Jun 12 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
So i went, didnt realy get any good shots to be honest with you, zoom on my camera was no way near good enough to get any good pictures what so ever :/
gave up after a while, going to hunt out a new lens i think

The beauty of the DSLR is you dont have to zoom right in to capature the car, you can still pan from a zoomed out position and crop the photo when you get home to make the car fill the frame. Why dont you upload what you took and we might be able to help/give you some pointers on how to improve
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

11th Jun 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill have a look at what ive got and post some up if i see any that might work Didnt manage to get any panning shots as i gave up after a while due to to fact i couldnt get close enough to the track :/
Realy dissapointed with the shots i got to be honest.
Ive only got the standard 18-55mm (i think) lense. The one you get one most starter dslr kits.
jrdn7

25th Jun 12 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
Ill have a look at what ive got and post some up if i see any that might work Didnt manage to get any panning shots as i gave up after a while due to to fact i couldnt get close enough to the track :/
Realy dissapointed with the shots i got to be honest.
Ive only got the standard 18-55mm (i think) lense. The one you get one most starter dslr kits.

I'm a motorsport photographer over here in Ireland, mainly rallying but circuit racing is much the same, just a bit further away. You NEED a long(ish) lens for panning, over 150mm anyways.

I shot this with a Canon EOS 1000D, Canon 55-250mm IS f4-5.6. Setting were 1/200th, f10, ISO200, 79mm.

The trick is to use burst mode, pan and use a slow shutter speed.

Send us a U2U if you want me to give you a hand with anything.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Helpful Photographers in here please 23 database queries in 0.0131519 seconds