corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Technology Agnostic APIs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Technology Agnostic APIs
James

User status: Offline
13th Jun 12 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm writing a system that needs to allow a third party external system to read/write data to/from it.

The system I'm developing will be implemented at client sites and the external systems that will read/write to/from it could be written in anything, so whatever I develop has to be technology agnostic.

The system I'm writing is in .Net, my first idea was XML Web services but as the communication between my system and the external systems will be on a local site rather that over the internet, I was wondering if there's a more efficient way.

I'm looking into WCF but I know little/nothing about it yet so I'm not sure if it's an option.

Any ideas?
Aaron

13th Jun 12 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, perhaps ask this question on a forum based on the subject in question.
ed

13th Jun 12 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about a ReST API using XML or JSON?
Rob_Quads

13th Jun 12 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed - ReST APIs are becoming more and more common at the moment. Fairly easy to understand and use.
Nismo

13th Jun 12 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

The system I'm writing is in .Net, my first idea was XML Web services but as the communication between my system and the external systems will be on a local site rather that over the internet

Whats to say in the future it won't be? I would develop the system with the possibility that it might be in the future?

New Poll