corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Which camera to get, advice please.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which camera to get, advice please.
Joe

User status: Offline
28th Jun 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting a camera for my mother for her birthday but I literally haven't got a clue. She has just a simple point and shoot kind of thing but my old man said get her something 'better' so thinking an slr or something along those lines.

Obviously she ain't a professional by any means so it would need to be pretty simple but produce decent pics even with an old person in control.

Probably looking to spend £300-400 I'd think then get some accessories and shit.

Any help would be appreciated.
BluKoo

28th Jun 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Accessories such as what? Lenses, or something more like a case for the camera?

I'm a Canon man, so i'd recommend a Canon.

You could get her something like this: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-1100d-in-black-with-18-55mm-is-lens-935-p.asp
Joe

28th Jun 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah have just looked at them.

After speaking to my dad though might be barking up the wrong tree. He said small and compact.

Basically the reason for wanting a new one is on holiday they went on a dolphin spotting trip and by the time they pressed the button and the picture took the dolphin was out of shot.

Is this down to camera or useless people taking the pictures? The way I see it is by the time the camera has auto focused the subject is gone. So what's best for taking 'quick' snaps when you want to just point and shoot.

I really don't know enough to be suggesting things so need to get the right thing.
BluKoo

28th Jun 12 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about something like this then?

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-powershot-g12-black-digital-camera-937-p.asp
Joe

28th Jun 12 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably too big really, think by the sounds of it it's just gona be a standard digital camera. Will this eliminate their 'slow' picture issue, the she has a canon thing at the minute which is about 5 years old and they are blaming that but I kind of think most of the problem was them idiots using it.
BluKoo

28th Jun 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not that big...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6zElSyJtY&feature=related

It can do 1.97 frames per second, so not quick by slr standards, but no doubt a lot quicker than what they have now.
Joe

28th Jun 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So frames per second is the speed it takes the picture then? I still think an slr would be a good shout but I think whatever we get she will want to keep it in her handbag.
andy1868

28th Jun 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it sounds like you're describing shutter lag joe, something the compacts seem to suffer from. Albeit i think they've gotten much better recently. Basically, its the length of time between you pressing the shutter and the camera actually taking the picture? is that your problem at the moment? SLR's have really quick shutter times but compacts tend to me abit slower

If you want something that's truly compact have a look at the Canon S100, they're very highly regarded but are tiny. The shutter lag is meant to be fast for a compact at quarter of a second. They have the auto mode if that's all she wants it for but can get alot more into detail about settings etc if she wants in the future.

You can get them slightly cheaper than this elsewhere but Wex are very reputable.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-powershot-s100-black-digital-camera/p1527421?awc=2298_1340911024_3ee0b3b93c5a77509e8993d5177668c9&utm_source=aw

alternatively have a wander into Wilkinson in Southport on Eastbank street and speak to somebody in there. The manager Sarah is particularly helpful. They aren't necessarily the cheapest on the market though so you might want to order online, but thats up to you.

[Edited on 28-06-2012 by andy1868]
Joe

28th Jun 12 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they just want to be able to point and shoot as quick as possible basically.

That looks decent andy, just seen this aswell. Not sure if it's any good though.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/canon-powershot-sx260-hs-compact-digital-camera-black-12324628-pdt.html

And yeah, I'm gona go into southport on the weekend and have a look in there. My old man would rather buy in person anyway rather than online.

Cheers for the help guys.
andy1868

28th Jun 12 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't know that camera so i'm afraid i can't really comment! not that i know the S100 personally either.

If you're not bothered about the latest model the S95 can still be had for about £230 online!

Just go into Wilkinson and see what they say mate, they might even let you play with some. The Jessops in Liverpool has most of their cameras out on display too if you want a proper look at alot of them!
Joe

28th Jun 12 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I'll go in store and have a word. At least I have a bit more idea what I need to get now. Cheers for the help fellas.
Whittie

29th Jun 12 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously advise to get the camera Doug has just got (Search on here) I think its a Nikon X1.. may have made that model up though

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Which camera to get, advice please. 23 database queries in 0.0123820 seconds