corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 3M Carbon fibre wrapped my laptop

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 3M Carbon fibre wrapped my laptop
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jul 12 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Came out alright I reckon:

[Edited on 03-07-2012 by evilrob]
Reecemac

3rd Jul 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought of doing this before, did you buy it pre cut? Looks good with the metal too.
Doug

3rd Jul 12 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was tempted to do something like this on my Macbook Air to protect it a bit. Can this stuff peel off easily? Will it leave any marks?
Doug

3rd Jul 12 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fibre-13-Macbook-Air-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-Skin-for-Apple-Laptop-/261021559243?pt=US_Keyboard_Protectors&hash=item3cc618e9cb#ht_1737wt_1376

I might give it a go actually.
Doug

3rd Jul 12 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How hard was it to fit? Any bubbles of ripples?
Doug

3rd Jul 12 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was this the one you bought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacBook-Air-13-Carbon-Fibre-Protector-Skin-Wrap-/320926258020?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4ab8b21364#ht_500wt_1376
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Jul 12 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought it pre-cut from iCarbons.com (cos I'm in the US and A at the moment).

Was a piece of piss to install - they have a video on how to do it. Basic rule is use the backing to cover most of the sticky part, and align either the apple logo if you're doing the top part, or the feet if you're doing the bottom, and everything else should line up nicely.

No issues with bubbling, peels off leaving no residue (as I found, when I had to reposition each piece about 100 times).

Took about half an hour all in. Still not perfect, but the rage started to set in, so I just went with "that will do" in the end. I'm sure with some hairdryer action and patience of a saint you could get it perfect.
John

3rd Jul 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spend lots of money on a mac and then put stickers on it = fail.
JonnyJ

3rd Jul 12 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Gary
Premium Member

3rd Jul 12 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr Happiness strikes again
Dom

3rd Jul 12 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:

Has a point. If you were spending £2k+ on a laptop surely you'd want to look at the ali body rather than some £5 vinyl, no?
Sunz

3rd Jul 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably spend £2k on a laptop because you will use it a lot, also the normal material will have some protection with that vinyl
JonnyJ

3rd Jul 12 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na mate, not really.

Mines scratched to fuck now and looks battered. I bought it to use not to looks pretty on a shelf.

Probably going to ask why i didnt just buy a normal laptop now but the reliability of this has been amazing. 6 years and i havent replaced a single part on it and it still runs fine.

Anyway, its not like hes made it look shite. If apple released one like that people would buy it. Looks smart.
Dom

3rd Jul 12 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
Probably spend £2k on a laptop because you will use it a lot, also the normal material will have some protection with that vinyl

Cost doesn't come into usage Plus people purchasing MB/MBPs are doing it for the package which includes the design, so covering the unibody seems a bit of a shame. Granted the covered areas are protected from scratches but it won't stop the ali being dented if dropped or knocked (for that you'd use a hard case).

For what it is then it looks alright but i stil don't understand the point of it.
Sunz

3rd Jul 12 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant in terms of a professional needing a decent spec for their work and using it daily, so spend more to get something that's powerful and future proof.

Just saying the last thing on most peoples mind when buying a laptop is how the case looks.
John

3rd Jul 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:

Has a point. If you were spending £2k+ on a laptop surely you'd want to look at the ali body rather than some £5 vinyl, no?

This, a bit tacky on what's undoubtedly a very nice looking piece of kit.
JonnyJ

3rd Jul 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They get fucked after a while though. Mines a right mess. If its removable i dont see an issue, if anything it will help it hold its value later on if the case is still in perfect nick.

Not much different to putting a cover on your iPhone surely?

This is so long as its removable of course
Dom

3rd Jul 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
I meant in terms of a professional needing a decent spec for their work and using it daily, so spend more to get something that's powerful and future proof.

Just saying the last thing on most peoples mind when buying a laptop is how the case looks.

Design of a MB/MBP is a big factor in why people splash the extra £1k+; hardware certainly isn't as you can get better spec'd laptops half, if not a third, of the price.

quote:
They get fucked after a while though. Mines a right mess. If its removable i dont see an issue, if anything it will help it hold its value later on if the case is still in perfect nick.

Not much different to putting a cover on your iPhone surely?

This is so long as its removable of course

Which case purchase a decent hard case, will fully protect the Mac then. Granted the cost difference but that vinyl isn't really doing a whole lot.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Jul 12 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was half and half with me Dom, those MBP sure look sexy but the other major selling point is that stuff in OS X actually works unlike Windows apps...
John

3rd Jul 12 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All my windows apps work.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Jul 12 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm happy for you mate.
Hammer

3rd Jul 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is like folk that buy a fancy car with heated leather seats then shove £10 plastic covers over them they bought from Aldi in order 'to protect them'.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Jul 12 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good mod imo, best to hide your shiney bit of apple faggotry from the rest of the world.

John complaining about ruining the looks = please hand in your geek card and get the fuck off the internet.
John

3rd Jul 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's an apple willay, 3x the price of a dell with windows that supports programs you might want to use means you have bought it in large part for what it looks like. Must be a puma thing.

Will have tiger stripes on it next.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Jul 12 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo a fight brewing here

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll