corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tax rebate

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tax rebate
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jul 12 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I received a fairly healthy tax rebate a day or two ago but I'm still not convinced it's for as much as it should be.

For the last working year I didn't come close to earning the figure where you are meant to start paying tax however when I was working I was paying PAYE and National Insurance.

Am I right in thinking both of these types of taxes should therefore be paid back in full? Or do you just get one of them back or something?

Basically the amount I've been rewarded totals about 7 weeks worth of tax even though I worked about a total of 12ish weeks. And yes all work was carried out in one tax year.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

MX5 Project Thread
Russ

15th Jul 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ring them and speak to an expert
John

15th Jul 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
ring them and speak to liam-wilko [/quote
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't get NI back - once it's paid, it's gone.

If your money paid back equals the amount of PAYE you paid, then that's correct.

To clarify, only PAYE (Pay As You Earn) is a tax - NI is a contribution towards your state pension later in life, and the NHS too, I believe.
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
You don't get NI back - once it's paid, it's gone.

If your money paid back equals the amount of PAYE you paid, then that's correct.

To clarify, only PAYE (Pay As You Earn) is a tax - NI is a contribution towards your state pension later in life, and the NHS too, I believe.

That's what I was after, thanks.

Seems a bit daft that NI is done on how much you earn, yet in total I still only earned a few ££££ last tax year so if the earnings were spread out evenly over 52 weeks I wouldn't have paid any NI.

Just another thing to add to the list of why this country is backwards.

MX5 Project Thread
Dan
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at it that it's less you have to make up for later in life when your NI payments are short of the amount needed for pensions etc

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I don't mind paying taxes and contributing. It just seems like a bit of a flaw in the system that if I'd earned the exact same amount but more spread out I wouldn't have had to pay any NI.

Anyway I've decided I'm going to be f*cking rich when I'm older so state pension will just be pennies in my pocket

MX5 Project Thread
LeeM

15th Jul 12 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youd have paid the same ni whether you earned it all over a day or a year
noshua

15th Jul 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not if he was under the tax threshold, which he said he was?
nibnob21
Premium Member

15th Jul 12 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
youd have paid the same ni whether you earned it all over a day or a year

See below.

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
Not if he was under the tax threshold, which he said he was?

Correct

MX5 Project Thread

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tax rebate 23 database queries in 0.0120401 seconds