corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 3D TV Question

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 3D TV Question
James

User status: Offline
27th Jul 12 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Sony TV that is "3D Ready". That basically means that I need to have a separate transmitter to watch 3D.

I've just ordered the transmitter and some glasses. Does anybody know if people can watch in 2D while I watch in 3D?

The reason I ask is that the glasses are like £50 a pop, so I don't want loads of pairs, but it would be nice if people can watch in 2D while others watch in 3D.

Given that the 3D transmitter is separate to the TV, I assume this will work? Is that right?
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrong.

Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to explain.

Every second frame will be for the right eye only and vise versa.
Watching the TV without glasses will give the impression of a mismatched image.

The "transmitter" only syncs the shutters in the glasses to let each eye only see every other frame.

James

27th Jul 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this the case even for 3D TV rather than 3D DVDs? E.g. BBC are showing the opening ceremony in 3D.

[Edited on 27-07-2012 by James]
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Is this the case even for 3D TV rather than 3D DVDs? E.g. BBC are showing the opening ceremony in 3D.
I don't get what you mean? The TV doesn't produce the image differently dependent on the source.

James

27th Jul 12 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK just realised that you need to change the settings on the TV in addition to using the transmitter, so it will in fact show the 3D picture. Shame.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Transmitter" really is a misleading term.

Nothing is transmitted to the glasses. Essentially the glasses make sure, that at any given time only one of your eyes are looking at the screen.
The "transmitter" syncs this shutter action with the TV so that when your right eye is closed the image for you left eye i shown. Then the shutter switches and the screen does as well. This happens several times a second, which gives you the sense of depth.

James

27th Jul 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I just assumed that you plugged in the transmitter and didn't change anything on the TV. It seems that isn't the case.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While on the subject, go out and buy "Legend of the Guardians - The Owls of Ga'Hoole" on 3D blu ray.
Best use of 3D I've seen and a pretty good film as well.

Rob_Quads

27th Jul 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And this is why glasses-free 3D will be such a revelation.
James

27th Jul 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far away is that technology?

And by that I mean, how long until I can buy it in Currys without paying a £1k premium
Hammer

27th Jul 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
How far away is that technology?

The TV's are out there, but so far the technology is not overly impressive. I think we're at least 2-3 years away from seeing glasses free 3D at affordable prices.

By then, I'm hoping passive 3D on 4K screens is dominating the market. In my mind this is the perfect compromise.
Crisp images, no flickering, very cheap glasses and fantastic 3D depth.

I don't see active shutter nor glasses free 3D having the potential of 4K passive 3D.

James

27th Jul 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Fucking hell.

LeeM

27th Jul 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you seen a 3d film at the cinema and take your glasses off? It's like that.
How come you can't get glasses free 3d like the Nintendo 3ds?
John

27th Jul 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can. You just have to be sitting either directly infront, or at specific places around it or it doesn't work.
James

27th Jul 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
Have you seen a 3d film at the cinema and take your glasses off? It's like that.
How come you can't get glasses free 3d like the Nintendo 3ds?

Yeh I know that generally you can't watch a 3D image without 3D glasses, but when I bought the transmitter the guy in the shop was like "this transmits the 3D bit of the image" so I wondered if perhaps because of the separate transmitter, the actual TV just transmits the 2D image. Obviously that isn't the case.
LeeM

27th Jul 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You can. You just have to be sitting either directly infront, or at specific places around it or it doesn't work.

I see, so is the difficult bit doing a 3d image that you can view at any angle or 2 people can see from different angles?
John

27th Jul 12 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's it really. It's still mostly a gimmick for me anyway. 4k will be much bigger. Higher resolution is better than bad 3D.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the guy in the shop was like "this transmits the 3D bit of the image"

People should know the product they sell.

Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You just have to be sitting either directly infront, or at specific places around it or it doesn't work.

Actually, most modern screens use a camera with face detection to angle the "sweet spot" of the 3D effect to where you are sitting. If more faces are present, it will try to even out the effect with a loss of depth as a result.

I've read reports of the image flickering, when people drink from a glass, turn their head or otherwise move.
I honestly don't predict much from glasses free 3D.

Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont ever predict anything from any type of 3d tbh as long as its ever going to a flat screen it will never quite work, mainly because its still a flat image just creating an illusion. Its not even 3d really, just parts of images layered above others in the illusion, each part is still flat just appears closer than others etc, not really 3d at all
Nath

27th Jul 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I dont ever predict anything from any type of 3d tbh as long as its ever going to a flat screen it will never quite work, mainly because its still a flat image just creating an illusion. Its not even 3d really, just parts of images layered above others in the illusion, each part is still flat just appears closer than others etc, not really 3d at all

You didn't predict anything from Blu-Ray though tbf.
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here we go
Balling
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Modern 3D technologies are actually quite capable of producing a smooth transit in depth. Ie. a noce pokes further out than the rest of the face, which pokes out from the background.

Trouble is, that a lot (most) of the 3D we see is
a) Subpar cinema equipment, not as capable as the best consumer solutions and
b) Post converted 3D, that has a very flat feel.

Again, watch the aforementioned Legend of the Guardians and you'll see how 3D can be utilized to draw you in to the action.

Watch The Avengers and you'll see the death of 3D as Hollywood runs a piece software on their takes and wants us to pay more to see films in inferior quality.

3D gamin is also going to be more common, I think. FPS' benefit quite a lot from the added dimension.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll