corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bmw e36's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bmw e36's
FAZ
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jul 12 at 03:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

find myself looking at these repeatedly, seem to vary massively in price though, but seem cheap enough.

whats ownership like? tax and known faults, rust etc etc?

also what engine is recommended, seem to get normal insurance quotes on the 1.8's

want to go down the same route the corsa went down with no interior etc and just hoon it around everywhere sideways

cheers in advance
jimmy 2.1

29th Jul 12 at 04:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arches are prone to rusting. Airbag light comes on and stays on till reset.

I had, and have just bought another 323. I prefer the 2.5 straight 6 to the four cylinder engines
taylorboosh

29th Jul 12 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

colins selling one
Twiggy

29th Jul 12 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 pot only!
Jambo

29th Jul 12 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Costly to maintain due to age

Plenty parts and mods available lots are cheap though
fazza

29th Jul 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get a 1.8 if you plan to go sideways

SetH

User status: Online
29th Jul 12 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Costly to maintain due to age

Plenty parts and mods available lots are cheap though

THIS

I have replaced many parts on my E46 so would hate to think what an E36 is like tbh.
AndyCorsaSport

29th Jul 12 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy 2.1

I had, and have just bought another 323. I prefer the 2.5 straight 6 to the four cylinder engines

You got another black one sat on its arse on white wheels? Seen one when I went through Shipley other day.
pow
Premium Member

29th Jul 12 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a 318is, it isn't a 4 cylinder but the is is the engine you want.
Alex_Rally

29th Jul 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt mind having one for a week to see if i still think its fun , because i reckon it might get abit boring after a wile.
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Nothing wrong with a 318is, it isn't a 4 cylinder but the is is the engine you want.

318is is a 4cylinder and came in 1.8 16v or 1.9 16v for later models.
pow
Premium Member

29th Jul 12 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant it isn't a 6 cylinder lol... I think you knew that deep down
jimmy 2.1

29th Jul 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy 2.1

You got another black one sat on its arse on white wheels? Seen one when I went through Shipley other day.

No thats not me. New one is silver and standard for the moment. Also got a 318 Cab too but that will be up for sale once i've MOT'd it. Just got that to help out a mate.

I've not had a problem with reliability on mine, and probably one of the most reliable cars i've owned.
kennySRi

29th Jul 12 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome cars and dirt cheap to buy, maintain and mod.

I've had a few over the years and have had a 325 for the past 5 years and it's great. Never misses a beat and costs me next to nothing to keep on the road.

Wouldnt go near a 318, if insurance allows you try and get at least a 323. The 328s are well known the blocks cracking so i would look for a 325 but these are pretty rare now as they stopped making them in 1996 (i think) and replaced them with the 323/328. The main thing would be to look for a clean shell, modding them is cheap enough and there's loads of stuff out there.

A must is the M3 kit and vaders imo.
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 12 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have to dis-agree and say go for a 328i Sport if funds allow. Can pick them up cheap these days. Like the 323i, the 328i was also restricted power wise. But have more power to start off with and if you feel the need for more, you can see a genuine 230bhp with a few select mods. Same mods can be done to the 170bhp 323i, but in the long run won't see as good gains.

The only real issue with the 328i is the Nikasil liners on the pre 98 cars. Alot of them have had the blocks changed (easily identified). I wouldn't worry though if its still on its original block, as quite a few still are with no issue's. If it was going to go, it would have wen't long ago.
Jambo

29th Jul 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M3 ftw
kennySRi

29th Jul 12 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
I would have to dis-agree and say go for a 328i Sport if funds allow. Can pick them up cheap these days. Like the 323i, the 328i was also restricted power wise. But have more power to start off with and if you feel the need for more, you can see a genuine 230bhp with a few select mods. Same mods can be done to the 170bhp 323i, but in the long run won't see as good gains.

The only real issue with the 328i is the Nikasil liners on the pre 98 cars. Alot of them have had the blocks changed (easily identified). I wouldn't worry though if its still on its original block, as quite a few still are with no issue's. If it was going to go, it would have wen't long ago.

I actually would prob go for the 328 as the 325s will mainly be rotten by now, but if a clean one comes up then id go for that.

Either way engines are cheap to buy and VERY easy to swap over so if worse case is just whack another in

If you're wanting any parts let me know as i might actually be splitting mine
taylorboosh

29th Jul 12 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
M3 ftw

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » bmw e36's 22 database queries in 0.0137320 seconds