corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Setting up your own business/self employed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Setting up your own business/self employed
Rob E

User status: Offline
6th Aug 12 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

I need to find some information about setting up as my own business/becoming self employed. I have had a couple of job interviews last week and both positions are contacted. Basically I have to set up either on my own or through an umbrella company. I've had a quick look on the hmrc website but it seems like an overwhelming amount of information to take on board and thats just the tax side of things. Can someone give me a basic breakdown of what I need to do in order to get the ball moving? Is there any local authority or something similar that I can go and chat to about setting up etc?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends if you will be staying contracted for a while. If not go umbrella.

Register your company name, register for VAT, get a business account and a good accountant
Tom G

6th Aug 12 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get Whittie the delboy on the case
Gary
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll have to go ltd. Cant work for just one company if your self employed
Brett
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check ICS out, independent contractor services.
Gary
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you sign up to uk business forums you'll get a more in depth answer too.
James

6th Aug 12 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Umbrella company = MUCH easier, basically PAYE, you won't get the tax benefits of LTD company though.

LTD Company = more of a pain, will require an accountant which costs money, but you will pay much less tax.
C2RL R

6th Aug 12 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look on companies house website for info. I found it pretty useful.
mattk

6th Aug 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is it you are doing, and how much will you earn?

All I did was go on HMRCs website and register self employed. its piss easy, you can do it online. they then send you a Unique Tax Reference number that you will give to your accountant when you do your anual tax return. its really that simple

go to your bank and ask for a business bank account. they will set you one up there and then.

if you work as a contractor then the firm you work for will pay your wages into your business account, they will take your income tax off your wage before they give it to you and give you a recipt of tax paid at the end of every month. you give those recipts to your accountant along with recipts of any business expence Ie clothes, fuel, insurances ect. those tax recipts along with your expenses will no doubt get you a tax refund and you wont have any nasty shocks come april.

National insurance you can either pay by direct debit or just pay the bill they send out to you anually

This is what I did, however if you are going to be making enough to be vat registered or have to be LTD then I cant be of any help

[Edited on 06-08-2012 by mattk]
Seany

6th Aug 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Umbrella is much easier to do. You can work for just one company if you want it makes no difference, as for the tax and national insurance I paid less tax and a minimum of think it was £2.50 national insurance a week.
I claimed back shit loads of travel money and food allowances, just keep receipts for everything. Will update when I remember what company it was. You will also need to register for your utr number ( unique tax reference ).

just saw matt said all this

[Edited on 06-08-2012 by Seany]
laingyla

6th Aug 12 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck with your business dude
Rob E

6th Aug 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info guys, useful so far

Ive had one interview with Jaguar (I was to only one interviewed for the role), and another with Bentley where I have made it down to the final two candidates. The Jag salary is £32000 a year and there has been no discussion of the salary with Bentley but i expect it to be around a similar figure. From whayt I have read I dont think I need to worry about being VAT registered until you earn over £75000 a year?

Jaguar give you the opportunity to go permanent after a couple of years while Bentley will allow you to do so after 5 years.

If I go through an umbrella company then what would happen with regards to SSP and Holidays? Is it the same as going it alone where you dont get either?
Gary
Premium Member

6th Aug 12 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the contract. Might be salaried wether your in or not, or you'll only get paid when your there
mattk

7th Aug 12 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah only need to be vat registered if you turnover 75k or more

I cant see you getting sick pay or holidays from an umbrella company tbh, I dont see the point in using one really? do they do your accounts for you or do you still need your own accountant? and if they do provide an accountant I cant see them being as "generous" as your own would be.

to give you an idea of prices of a tax return last year I paid £230 for one, and he claimed back £3900 for me, thats a nice bonus in january just after christmas
Gary
Premium Member

7th Aug 12 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would prob be less than that Matt. He'll only have 12 payments in and a few fuel receipts out
Liam-Wilko

7th Aug 12 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0845 915 4515 phone that number its for HMRC newly self employed they will give you all the info you need or should
Seany

7th Aug 12 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the company that still sorts put sick pay and holidays from my experiences.
The company I used also does my tax return for 130 quid, the company literally is just a middle man who gets your wages before you.
Rob E

28th Aug 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, had my final interview and got offered the Bentley role today I'm awaiting a call back from a family friend who is an accountant to see which route would be more suited to my needs.

The agency that got me the interview have recommended a company called black diamond umbrella. www.blackdiamondumbrella.co.uk. The first thing I have noticed is there is no mention of their fees anywhere without making contact with them. Has anyone used or currently use this company at all?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

28th Aug 12 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go ltd!!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Setting up your own business/self employed 22 database queries in 0.0118959 seconds