corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Project Managers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project Managers
James

User status: Offline
20th Aug 12 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any project management qualifications? I'm considering Prince2 or PMP, but not sure which.

I've done a bit of Googling and it seems that Prince2 is more confined to the UK but I can't find much else comparing the 2.

Thanks.

[Edited on 20-08-2012 by James]
Dom

20th Aug 12 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been looking into it myself and a Prince2 is the usual if you're planning to stick around in the UK. Otherwise PMP is more widely accepted, especially in the states.
Can, obviously depends on the area you get into, be a dull old job though if it's IT but on the upside you can get an extremely good salary especially if you contract.

[Edited on 20-08-2012 by Dom]
Whittie

20th Aug 12 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prince2 is the only one i've heard of tbf!
Russ

20th Aug 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gavin (henry) on here is one, ask him what he has
_Allan_

20th Aug 12 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seth also might have some good info.
Dom

20th Aug 12 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seth has done it as well, i believe, so i'm sure he'll chime in with some info.

Either way, it's worth while doing but everyone i know that's done it have basically stated the exams and the studying is a complete ballache (especially if you decide to do the week courses), get reading course/Prince2 material as soon as possible and said that you only really do it for the piece of paper stating the qualification as PM is 95% common sense and 5% Prince2/qualification knowledge.
A2H GO

20th Aug 12 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got PRINCE2 Foundation & Practitioner, full time course for a week, about £2k if you pay yourself, work funded all of mine bar £500.

Has it helped? In the realy world, not really, most places won't want you to use the methodology to deliver change/projects, they'll want you to use their ways of working.

Only thing its good for is sticking on your CV to increase your chances of getting a job, in which case just do the foundation course and stick 'PRINCE2 Qualified' on your CV, job done.

Good money in PM contracting, especially in IT(although its a boring job imo). Market average is £400pd.

[Edited on 20-08-2012 by A2H GO]
James

20th Aug 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh it's more to get it on the CV than to gain the knowledge.
James

20th Aug 12 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just realised I meant PMP, not PMI

PMI is the name of the institute that runs it.
pow
Premium Member

20th Aug 12 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking into doing PRINCE2
SetH

20th Aug 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A2HGO is spot on and has said pretty much what I was going to about Prince 2. It helped me get my foot in the door at HP but it has not helped me in delivering projects. Looking at PM job vacancies it seems to be on the 'required' list on many of them. when I first got into Project Management it was 'desireable'.

With regards to PMP,

I have decided to now go for my PMP and will be studying it between now and February in which I plan to take my Exam.

I work for Hewlett Packard and they have an acceleration program where they deliver a 2 hour webcast session each week as well as email support from mentors. In addition to that I am expected to do 6-10 hours private study per week.

PMP is pretty much the Daddy of Project Management certification. For that reason it is much more difficult to obtain due to very strict acceptance criteria in which you may get audited to verify your work experience and qualifications.

You can google the acceptance criteria but I will summarise :

Graduates

4500 hours of PM experience (2-3 years)
36 non overlapping months within 8 years
PM education (35 hours) - Prince 2 will qualify for this

Non Graduate

7500 hours of PM experience (4-5 years)
60 non overlapping months within 8 years
PM education (35 hours) - Prince 2 will qualify for this

Thus PMP is for experienced Project Management professionals only.

They ask for everything, every PM role you have ever done, full contact details for every manager and client. A summary of every PM job showing key PM Skills and experience attained. You cannot blag this, they can audit you at anytime, even if they initially accept you.

I am not expecting it to be a walk in the park but once I have this plus my Prince 2 and a couple more years experience at HP I should theoretically have my pick of IT PM roles.

James

20th Aug 12 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prince2 it is then
SetH

20th Aug 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my colleagues was audited. He had met the criteria (just) but he had to go on a mission contacting employers/clients from years and years ago in order to obtain their signature on statements etc.

Obviously this makes the PMP certification more valuable but it is a ball ache. I have not looked into what you have to do to maintain the certification yet either.

Prince 2 you have to resit every 5 years.

If you have one of those jobs where extra unpaid hours and travelling is expected then it can become a mission!
James

20th Aug 12 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Work will pay for my Prince2 anyway which is good. There are a couple of certifications I want to do in the next year or 2 to beef up my CV.
SetH

20th Aug 12 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it if you have the chance. Be warned though it is a very dry and boring subject!

I did the week course but self studied for 2 hours a day for 2 weeks prior. then during the week course I was putting in a couple of hours each night.

Quite a bit to cover in the space of a week. A lot of people do the foundation then dwell on the material for a couple of months and go back and do the practioner.
Gavin
Premium Member

20th Aug 12 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done PRINCE2 Foundation & Practitioner, my work paid for the course as I had move into a new role as a IT PM

Most of its been mentioned above tbh.

I put in about 8-10 hours before the course started going over the pre-material. Then I did about 3 hours per night during the course.

The Foundation exams is fairly easy - multiple choice. But the Practitioner can be a bit of a biatch as it using complex multiple selections - my main issue was the amount of time given to complete the Practitioner exams; 3 hours wasnt enough as you have to read through the scenarios fairly carefully as they alone can catch you out

I felt the course helped structure my thoughts and processes for managing and delivering projects, but it doesnt mean that you'll be a good PM and (as it has already been mentioned) most companies use their own methodologies for delivering project. Like everything else, experience is the key but having a certification wont do you any harm

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Good money in PM contracting, especially in IT(although its a boring job imo)

I enjoy what I do. I'm more of a technical IT PM so I get to dive into the details of the project

[Edited on 20-08-2012 by Gavin]

pew pew pew pewwwww
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Aug 12 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prince2 is the one I look for as a recruiter.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
SetH

20th Aug 12 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why?

Do your clients specify prince 2 or?
mattk

21st Aug 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A degree in clipboard management more like
SetH

22nd Aug 12 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James

22nd Aug 12 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A2H GO

22nd Aug 12 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James

22nd Aug 12 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely this isn't someone in a trade belittling someone that isn't in a trade. That's practically unheard of
Aaron

22nd Aug 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is this something you're actually going to do James? Or is it like your posts which bang on about being a property developer?
pow
Premium Member

22nd Aug 12 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aaron

I've signed on to do a week long course at Gatwick on the 17th Sept. Gunna get a Travelodge down there and just smash through it.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Project Managers 23 database queries in 0.0180321 seconds