corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Is anyone a floor tiler?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is anyone a floor tiler?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
25th Aug 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lad at work is a builder by trade so going to find out a cash price from him to get the job done on Tuesday when back in the office, however what is rough cost for a tiler to to a kitchen floor?

- We bought the tiles today, the tiler would provide all fixings / grout etc
- Floor to lay on is concrete base (new build ground floor, none of these fancy floorboards!) with some badly laid laminate on top
- No pipes to cut round, but obviously door frames, cupboards etc.
- 12m sq

Before anyone says it, it's only easy if you know how to do it and it isn't something I want to practice in my own kitchen and get it wrong!

Thanks
baza31

25th Aug 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a tiler to do it not a builder. Anyone can tile but tilers always seem to be better in general . Obviously it's down to the individual . Roughly £200 I'd say as he will need to lay then return and grout it a few days after. Going on £150 a day rate
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate runs his own tiling business, it's fairly simple to do but can tell the difference when a pro does it.

Nothing worse than wonky, unlevel joints. You seen his tiling work before?

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
dannymccann

26th Aug 12 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, he fitted out the 2 refurbished loos at work, spent AGES on the tiling because he wanted it perfect and it looks ace, wall tiles we are talking here, which I assume are more difficult to get level than floor tiles due to gravity!?
AndyCorsaSport

26th Aug 12 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tiled a "splashback" size area the whole way round a kitchen, and also a bathroom a few years ago when my dad was refurbing some flats.

Id never tiled anything in my life (work in a bodyshop) and it looked really good, especially to say the walls wernt perfectly straight, one had a bad curve on it in the kitchen. Guy who paid us to do all the work was very happy with it anyway.
dannymccann

27th Aug 12 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not going to take the risk, I am shit at DIY, just about managed to do my new light fittings this weekend with plenty of swearing, anything which is fairly permanent I will leave to the pros
CORSA NUT

29th Aug 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said get a tiler mate. I'm learning at the moment and it's not easy by any means and I'm pretty handy. He will have the proper cutters etc too which is important.

A 12sqm floor? I'd say it will take him most of the day and set you back £200. I'd you can get him to use Mapei adhesive and grout.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the going rate around here is about £20 a metre. Saying that I had a mates mums other half who was kind enough to come and tile my kitchen floor the other weekend. Don't forget the cost of sticking the things down also. The adhesive was £28 a bag and the Ivory Grout was expensive too. Then there was the knocking it all up etc. Tiring work!!

It looks bloody lovely though. I have loads of pics for my thread but haven't a working computer at the moment.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

New Poll