corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » part time fireman

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author part time fireman
Corsasport-Jamie

User status: Offline
29th Aug 12 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondered if anyone on here does this aswell as working full time in another job? Im thinking about signing up for it the next time a place becomes available at my local station but just wanted to know what its like to live with realistically on a daily basis and how much of an impact it has on your life? Id like to eventually go full time but want to start off part time. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Cole

29th Aug 12 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old boss did it pretty much ruined his marriage tbh becaus he was on call 70hrs a week inc all weekends couldn't do anything with his kids etc couldn't drink in the evenings after work. Then head to go to an rtc where two young lads had been run off the rd in their car hit a tree my boss had to sit with this guy whilst they cut him out as the dash was crushed against him when they lifted the dash off him the kid just took a final breath and died as the dash was keeping him alive that really messed my boss up he never went back after that. So moral is if you have kids don't do it and want a social life don't do it, try to go whole time straight away
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen the title and was expecting Nathy to have created the thread. But good on you for wanting to do it
Gary
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wait and go full time. Managing two jobs will be hard work. Especially if your out all night at a fire then have to go back to normal work in the morning
nathy_87

29th Aug 12 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Seen the title and was expecting Nathy to have created the thread. But good on you for wanting to do it

funny cunt you are!
LeeM

29th Aug 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only really a way to help you get in full time. How far do you work and live from the local station as well btw, needs to be within a certain distance
Ricky352

29th Aug 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My uncle does it part time, hes on call for a certain amount of days during the week. He has been called out of a few occassions like his kids birthdays and family events etc, but sometimes its only a short call and he can return in an hour or two, other times he'd be away for longer. Hes also a self employed farmer and probably finds it easy to balance the two because he can choose to be flexible with the farm work, to a certain degree.
Jas

29th Aug 12 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate does it, 120 odd hours a week he has to be signed on, I couldn't do it with my job, takes up too much of his life
jonnysri

29th Aug 12 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsasport-Jamie
Just wondered if anyone on here does this aswell as working full time in another job? Im thinking about signing up for it the next time a place becomes available at my local station but just wanted to know what its like to live with realistically on a daily basis and how much of an impact it has on your life? Id like to eventually go full time but want to start off part time. Any help would be appreciated thanks

ive been retained for 6 years. i also work with my dad whos a builder, so im on sites local and sometimes further a field. i cover 90 hours a week on call. im guessing you live close to your local station? whats your second job?

ill be honest, it impacts alot on your life but you learn to live with it as i have. ive got a great crew i work with and it makes the inconvieneice alot less. which brigade are you applying for?
Corsasport-Jamie

30th Aug 12 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replys guys, yes the reason i want to apply for part time is because iv just turned 20 so thought if i do a few years retained i would have a greater chance in getting into it full time. I live and work within 2mins of my local station too so that wouldn't be a problem. I work as a mechanic for those who asked so clearing it with the boss would be the only obsticle. It would be the lothian and borders fire brigade i would be applying for
nathy_87

30th Aug 12 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Tbh it's one job I wouldn't be able to do. So fair play to the OP for wanting to go for it.
BYRON

30th Aug 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad has been a retained firefighter for 29 years. Not sure what minimum hours he has to be available, but he works away Monday-Friday? his work are flexible when needed especially for those unsociable hour call outs and 'stand by' in a firestation for hours on end.
jonnysri

30th Aug 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thanks for the replys guys, yes the reason i want to apply for part time is because iv just turned 20 so thought if i do a few years retained i would have a greater chance in getting into it full time. I live and work within 2mins of my local station too so that wouldn't be a problem. I work as a mechanic for those who asked so clearing it with the boss would be the only obsticle. It would be the lothian and borders fire brigade i would be applying for

jamie dont take the part time route as a stepping stone into full time. it doesnt work that way. because of the state of the country no brigade or atleast very few can recruit full time firefighters. there just isnt the money for it. doing all your training and NVQ level 3 to get into the retained would be invaluable to the brigade because it will cost them alot less.

this was my plan to step into full time but 6 years down the line im still retained and ive been banging on the door for a long time. if you live so close i dont think it would be a problem, youd still be able to give good availability (assuming your boss doesnt let you go). vice versa, if he does then happy days.

best of luck with it. any more questions just holla!
jonnysri

30th Aug 12 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BYRON
My dad has been a retained firefighter for 29 years. Not sure what minimum hours he has to be available, but he works away Monday-Friday? his work are flexible when needed especially for those unsociable hour call outs and 'stand by' in a firestation for hours on end.

your dad will probably cover most of the weekend? not factoring in weeknights? minimum hours is 80. it certainly is in West yorkshire. i cant see it being much different anywhere else. ive got 2 guys who have both been in over 30 years too. what rank is your dad byron?
Corsasport-Jamie

30th Aug 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks johnny thats made me aware of a few things i didnt know, the station in the town i live in is only a retained station its not open full time (fergot to say before) so say i get into my local station and do retained for a few years if say a full time place became available in edinburgh or whatever would i be made aware of that? i just thought surely retained fire fighters would get first chance of full time places when they become available?
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

30th Aug 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
thanks johnny thats made me aware of a few things i didnt know, the station in the town i live in is only a retained station its not open full time (fergot to say before) so say i get into my local station and do retained for a few years if say a full time place became available in edinburgh or whatever would i be made aware of that? i just thought surely retained fire fighters would get first chance of full time places when they become available?

doesn't work like that tbh mate, i've spoken to a few retained and they've struggled to get in as wholetime as you still have to go through the whole selection process like Joe Bloggs off the street and theres so much competition for the jobs
BYRON

31st Aug 12 at 06:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jonnysri
quote:
Originally posted by BYRON

your dad will probably cover most of the weekend? not factoring in weeknights? minimum hours is 80. it certainly is in West yorkshire. i cant see it being much different anywhere else. ive got 2 guys who have both been in over 30 years too. what rank is your dad byron?

LFF
jr

31st Aug 12 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J
quote:

doesn't work like that tbh mate, i've spoken to a few retained and they've struggled to get in as wholetime as you still have to go through the whole selection process like Joe Bloggs off the street and theres so much competition for the jobs

not every single authority works like that though, sometimes (with us) its easier to go On-Call to Whole Time than just a new recruit, what works for one FRS isnt allways the same for the other

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » part time fireman 22 database queries in 0.0109150 seconds