corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Asset register/inventory

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Asset register/inventory
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Sep 12 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suck my balls.

I need to look into implementing a asset register, got mah barcode stickers and tingz just wondering what everyone else is doing to record it, fancy web app? spreadsheet? notepad covered in coffee? talk to meh.
Tom G

4th Sep 12 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spreadsheet would work fine i would of thought?

Nice and simpless, Although I would want something that when scanned popped back as PC1 etc.
willay
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what you on about?

Yeah spreadsheet is #1 on my list but if there is ssomething sexier out there I want to know now
Dom

4th Sep 12 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've briefly seen solutions from Redbeam and Scout in action and they appear to work reasonably well; costly though.
My limited interaction was mainly with someones self-rolled out application (VB6 based) that use an Access database Worked well as a basic inventory setup though and included the ability to generate/print barcodes to a label printer; but this was 7/8 years ago.

Saying that though, it wouldn't be too hard to knock up a web based app though especially if the scanner presents itself as a keyboard (serial device would be a bit tricky though).

[Edited on 04-09-2012 by Dom]
willay
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sooo still leaning onto a spreadsheet, at least I know I should have the data in some sort of format which could be exported to a webapp/gayshit in the future :/
Bart

4th Sep 12 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a spreadsheet, but good luck.
Its such a ball ache!

Even when your finished, by the time your done, employees have already swapped hardware and its out of date.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open Audit. Free and Open Source can be done via login scripts or Nmap. Works on Windows and Linux great bit of kit for free
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or spice works but thats very bloaty
willay
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got spiceworks already but its a fucking cunt, i fucking hate it.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Sep 12 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any reason not to use a spreadsheet? Do you have any relational-type structures? Any relationships you need to map like locations etc.?

Probably can do using Autofilter anyway. I wouldn't over complicated it if you can avoid it.

DB would be nice if you want to track components inside the machines etc. but it does make a lot more difficult to see what is going on unless you bodge a load of queries in there.
Toby
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used a psreadsheet for last one i did
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a spreadsheet at work. Simple and effective.

Asset number, make, model, serial, supplier, purchase date, cost, etc.

Done.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Gaz

4th Sep 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spreadsheet is best.

If you log on to a domain in work then you could write a batch script for peoples profiles to auto- update a log file for you so you don't need to have any manual labour activity's.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Sep 12 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at open audit. Its great and the DB Structure is quite easy to make your own PHP page for it
willay
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FYI I'm probably going to be recording:

Workstations
Servers
Printers
Monitors
IP Phones
Switches
Access Points
Routers
Maaaaaybeee barcode scanners....

And thats about it IMO IIRC TBH
Russ

5th Sep 12 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we track ours via a system that logs location, service history, Pat testing, previous locations, date of purchase etc etc

no idea what it's called though
pow
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a BEAUTIFUL Access DB that I use for this.
willay
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather eat my own shit then use a access db for this
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open Audit will even scan computers to see what printers are attached to it
willay
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See I'm looking at openaudit now but I'm unsure if I really need all that functionaility, it says it will report on a whole host of shit I dont need at the moment.

I believe the requirement we need at the moment is just putting an asset sticker on the device and recording it in some sort of spreadsheet/db.
pow
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I'd rather eat my own shit then use a access db for this

Why dat?

New Poll