corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Website builders - recommendations needed

Poll: Website builders - recommendations needed
1and1 0 (0%)
123-reg 2 (66.67%)
Other 1 (33.33%)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Website builders - recommendations needed
deano87

User status: Offline
4th Oct 12 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all. I've been approached by my managers brother who is a carpenter and builder, to build him a website. I have minimal HTML knowledge having redeveloped my companies website through a web development company with a Joomla CMS. However I don't know where to start withCSS and CMS etc.

I've built my dads website using Google Sites however is a bit confusing and quite limiting. It is likely I'll have to hand over this website when done so the CMS needs to be simple.

I'll be registering a domain then populating the site from scratch, plus need to set up a mailbox or mail forwarding atleast to his @live.co.UK address.

I only reall know of 123-reg or 1and1. Are both of these a no go or is 1 bettter than the other? What others do you recommend?

Look forward to your inputs.
Whittie

5th Oct 12 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go with webs or moonfruit if you're doing it that way. Moonfruit is flash iirc though.

123 are proper shite, so are 1&1, but their web builder thing looks alright.
Dom

5th Oct 12 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you really need a web builder? Could you not just use Wordpress and grab a decent theme? You'll end up with far better results plus you won't be locked in to using 1&1 gash hosting.
Brett
Premium Member

5th Oct 12 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, wordpress.
Nismo

5th Oct 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1&1 are ok tbh i use there business hosting, all ok providing you never need to speak to them.

Go Daddy seem to be getting ok reviews as of late.

Dom

5th Oct 12 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1&1 are awful if you need help, or cancel your account. Saying that, i use them for my domains as they're about the cheapest for .uk's.

For UK hosting though, Tsohost or Vidahost.

Nismo - Do GoDaddy do UK hosting? I thought everything was state side
Whittie

5th Oct 12 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye they're still American only iirc. I've recently merged and moved all domains I own to godaddy, their customer service is decent, domains are cheap and they have a handy little iphone/pad app.
Nismo

5th Oct 12 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
1&1 are awful if you need help, or cancel your account. Saying that, i use them for my domains as they're about the cheapest for .uk's.

For UK hosting though, Tsohost or Vidahost.

Nismo - Do GoDaddy do UK hosting? I thought everything was state side

I dont know, i think it is all state side but cant seem to find anything to say they have a uk data centre.

one thing i would say about 1and1 pray you never have to contact their abuse team as they are all stateside and work stupid hours
Bart

5th Oct 12 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Go with webs or moonfruit if you're doing it that way. Moonfruit is flash iirc though.

123 are proper shite, so are 1&1, but their web builder thing looks alright.

This, and to be fair its an understatement.
Their service is only made worse by their customer support.

[Edited on 05-10-2012 by Bart]
ed

5th Oct 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All these web builder things are total bolocks. Take Dom's advice and save yourself a bunch of money.
deano87

6th Oct 12 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the advice. I'll check out WordPress. Things like hosting and domain registration confuse me but I'm sure I'll get my head around it!
ed

6th Oct 12 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Setting up hosting and domain names is a pretty simple task now-days. Just post any questions you have, plenty of people with the right knowledge on here.

WordPress install is a piece of cake too

[Edited on 06-10-2012 by ed]
Sam
Premium Member

6th Oct 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of decent hosting companies offer something like Scriptaculous with their website control panel (cPanel).

You can choose from shitloads of free web based systems like WordPress and all you do is just type in stuff like a username and password, and it installs it all for you. Even takes care of updates as well if you're not very technical with website admin.
deano87

6th Oct 12 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So with a WordPress website, is it fully hosted by them and I simply use the Control Panel to set up the domain name?

So register their domain name "carpentrycompany.co.uk" via 123-reg, set up the forwarding (or settings in that) and then also the Control Panel in WordPress?

Or do I need to sign up for hosting with the WordPress?

Any "how to guides" would be great!
Dom

6th Oct 12 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purchase a domain, purchase (cPanel) hosting (as said, i really recommend Tsohost) and if need be (ie: you've purchased the domain separately to your hosting with a different provider), change the DNS settings on the domain to point to your hosts nameservers.

Then either use Scriptaculous (part of cPanel; probably best solution), as Sam mentioned, to install Wordpress or download it from the Wordpress website (make sure it's v3.1; anything higher requires PHP 5.2.4 and most cPanel hosts don't support that version, rather v5.2.17) and install using the install script (plenty of guides on this).

Once you have Wordpress installed, everything is done via wordpress' admin panel.

As Ed mentioned, plenty of us on here can lend a hand if you get stuck

[Edited on 06-10-2012 by Dom]
deano87

6th Oct 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And our domain at work is registered through WebFusion, which own 123-reg, never had any problems

Webs.com looks pretty good.
deano87

6th Oct 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent cheers

Appreciate the help but if handing over to the client I think something like Webs might be better.

Thoughts on something for complete hand over?

As said I built my dad's site (www.akbrickwork.co.uk) using Google Sites. This client needs nothing more.

[Edited on 06-10-2012 by deano87]

New Poll