corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » eBay rant - Auction fixing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author eBay rant - Auction fixing
Rob E

User status: Offline
   14th Oct 12 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently trying to buy another supercharger for my car. I found one on eBay some guy was selling and did the usual routine of checking the sellers feedback etc. I noticed he had sold an "identical" supercharger last week for £143....The guy who won the auction for £143 was also the winning bidder for a battered Rover 214 and a stainless Golf GTI exhaust system and had left positive feedback for all three items. So, alarm bells ringing I decided to email the seller of the supercharger making an offer outside of eBay and the conversation unravelled like this....

Me:
Hello,

Would you take £150 + postage for the supercharger?

Regards,
Robert Evans

Sellers Reply
hi, afraid the lowest I can go is 200 plus the postage.
thanks.

My Reply
£160 plus postage is the highest I can afford to go. Would you accept that? That's more than their average selling rate at the moment as I'm sure you are well aware. I was watching the one you sold on the 3rd Oct but was unable to get online when the auction was ending.

Thanks

Sellers Reply
hi, afraid not. I sold the last one for 250 outside of that previous auction. this ones got over 100 watchers.
sorry.

Alarm bells really ringing now so I did some digging and mentioned:

Oh,

Your feedback suggests it sold for £143 with positive feedback though?

To which he replied.....

yeah, a chap messaged me and offered the 250 so someone I knew won the auction at the lower rate just to jeep eBay happy.

This has pissed me off now as I am currently the highest bidder on the item but I can tell if it sells for under £200 he is going to say "Sorry its sold before the end of auction"

This kinda shit really pisses me off with eBay and a shifty way for people to get around paying extra for a reserve price to be put on their auctions!

Rant over
Russ

14th Oct 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it makes you feel better, he will have to pay fees
Rob E

14th Oct 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True, but its kind of defeating to object of an auction site when there is other alternative selling outlets avaliable
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
14th Oct 12 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So there are multiple superchargers? Or his mate bid it up and ended up winning it?
Rob E

14th Oct 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he has fed me a load of bullshit where really the supercharger I am currently bidding on it the same one that "sold" on the 3rd Oct. The pictures are identical, same description etc
A2H GO

14th Oct 12 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be the same one, he will have bid on it himself on another account, ended up winning it, left himself good feedback and then canceled the transaction, accepted on the other account to get his fees back.

Wouldn't be surprised if that same ID comes up towards the end of the current auction to try and knock it up a bit before it finishes.

[Edited on 14-10-2012 by A2H GO]
Rob E

14th Oct 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess thats what has gone on, but this other account has over 50 positive feedback so is definately his mate.

I'm going to leave my highest bid in and then if I get outbid then so be it but if I dont and I get some bullshit about it being sold outside of eBay then can I report it or complain? From eBays general feedback on these matters I think its pretty pointless though
Generation

14th Oct 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, it's called "shill bidding"
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
15th Oct 12 at 00:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Message him back and tell him its £125 now.
Rob E

15th Oct 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Came back from work to a notification from eBay - Auction ended 18 hours early. Twat!
Anty
Premium Member

15th Oct 12 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

report him.

what cars is it for bud?
Rob E

15th Oct 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just trying to it but the eBay community part of their website seems to be down

Its to replace the current one on my MX5. It uses the Mini Cooper S supercharger with some slight modification. The one I have now has been on 18 months. I dont know how much use it had before I installed it but I seem to have killed it (horrible death rattle!)

All documented here if you fancy a read
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=592151
Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Oct 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How annoying.

I was watching something today and had to try and out bid someone with ZERO feedback who amazingly bid on everything he had. Cunts.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
JaffaTB

15th Oct 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always do it on my items that I want to get a good price on lol
Ste
Premium Member

15th Oct 12 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine sold last week for £235 and went to finland. No shenanegans, just started at a pound and let it go.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Anty
Premium Member

16th Oct 12 at 01:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sell @ b.i.n price, cheaper n easyer for me
SimonTW

16th Oct 12 at 06:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you dont mind him bending ebays rules to sell the item early outside of ebay, which is circumventing ebay fees but if he bends them in his favour to get more money for his item (shill bidding) you will report his. Ebay is open to abuse and corrupt selling and buying, you just need to try play it in your favour. If you win at the price you want, great, but if you win and he wont sell just try your luck next time he lists and leave him negative feedback.
Rob E

16th Oct 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get where you are coming from but when I made the initial enquiry there were no bids on the item.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » eBay rant - Auction fixing 23 database queries in 0.0116770 seconds