corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick question for the mechanically minded.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick question for the mechanically minded.
BluKoo

User status: Offline
18th Oct 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey. I'm not the most mechanically minded and I don't have much experience with this, so hopefully you guys can help.

My mate has an Astra Coupe 1.8.
He had a problem with the thermostat which caused it to overheat (he's a little clueless when it comes to cars, so he didn't pay too much attention) and I think he's warped the head.

He took it to a garage and the garage has quoted him "£500 for a water pump, timing belt something else and labour" (his exact words).

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the Astra have a chain instead of a belt? Is there any reason it should be replaced if it was fine before?

Also, what sort of money should he be looking at to replace the head?

The only reason I ask is I just don't trust the garage and he's considering scrapping the car now.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds reasonable to me
bigron1988

18th Oct 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something else , is that having the head skimmed and a new head gasket ? if so not a bad price that , belt will have to come of to take head of so its worth replacing while its apart as to change the belt it would b a few hundred in labour from a garage
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, so they do have belts? I was under the impression they had timing chains, or is that just to 2.0/2.2?
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That "something else" was not to repair or replace the head. The garage didn't actually quote for that.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they are charging 500 quid to simply replace the waterpump and changing the timing belt then no thats not alright
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Z18ZE

has a chain.

he might not of warped the head.
bigron1988

18th Oct 12 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water pump and belt should be about £200-£300
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Z18ZE

has a chain.

he might not of warped the head.

It's an X reg Astra, maybe I should have mentioned that.
Corsa_Sport21

18th Oct 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both the X18XE1 and Z18XE that was fitted to the Coupe's had belts. Was only the 2.2 that had a chain.

Thermostat is a common fault on the 1.8's. Ive changed a few and my current 1.8 coupe has a sticky stat.

What has happened for them to diagnose it as over-heating?? If the stat was at fault, he would need to be sitting in traffic for a very long period of time, without the fan kicking in, which would be another fault.

Has he tried topping up the coolant and seeing what happens??
BluKoo

18th Oct 12 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know too much. All I know is what he's told me and I know it was overheating in the past and he got his thermostat changed and the overheating stopped.
Then a few weeks later he said something went boom and the car died (once again pretty much his exact words).

[Edited on 18-10-2012 by BluKoo]
Dave

18th Oct 12 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Both the X18XE1 and Z18XE that was fitted to the Coupe's had belts. Was only the 2.2 that had a chain.

Thermostat is a common fault on the 1.8's. Ive changed a few and my current 1.8 coupe has a sticky stat.

What has happened for them to diagnose it as over-heating?? If the stat was at fault, he would need to be sitting in traffic for a very long period of time, without the fan kicking in, which would be another fault.

Has he tried topping up the coolant and seeing what happens??

Not if the stat failed and stuck closed, this would cause it to overheat pretty quickly.
Corsa_Sport21

18th Oct 12 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, so it would. My bad.

Mines is stuck open.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick question for the mechanically minded. 22 database queries in 0.0150380 seconds