corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter tyres
antnee

User status: Offline
29th Oct 12 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I right in saying the even a cheap winter tyre should be better than an all season/summer tyre when the conditions get rubbish?

Nic Barnes

29th Oct 12 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you drive on snow covered roads yes, if you drive on gritted main roads no.
BeetleGav

29th Oct 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not just about snow, its the temperature too

BeetleGav

29th Oct 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI
Nic Barnes

29th Oct 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know. But generally depends where you live and what type of roads you will drive on. Equally as poor on compacted snow/ice as regular tyres.
Corsa_Sport21

29th Oct 12 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never needed nor wanted winter tyres in the 11+ years ive been driving. Driving to the conditions works better. Just saying.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
29th Oct 12 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people who have never had them will tell you that you don't need them.

Most people who have had them will say they actually a good idea.
Matt L

29th Oct 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Most people who have never had them will tell you that you don't need them.

Most people who have had them will say they actually a good idea.

what he said, I had them last year for the first time and i have to say i am converted, already got them on this year.

I use nankang snow sv2's now i wouldnt touch their summer tyres but their winter ones are pretty good tbh.

as nic said, in dry conditions above 7degrees you cant through the car about like you can on summer tyres but they still arent going to throw you off the road unless your driving like a complete bell, but temps below they are pretty grippy tbh.

last year when it snowed i had absolutely no issues dont think the wheels even spun once, even did a couple of emergency stops to test them and it is honestly like driving in normal conditions (abs kicked in a bit but no more than it would on a dry day), i also took it to a steep hill on the estate took it half way up, stopped, pulled off not even a slip and the hill is pretty dam steep (also cars an auto).
John

29th Oct 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are probably a good idea but you still don't need them.

Trying that on snow isn't the best test, snow has a fair amount of grip, they would have probably just been the same as normal tyres on ice.
BeetleGav

29th Oct 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think ive got 1 winter tyre on the front, got some part worns fitted 2week ago and im sure one is a winter.....il be partly ok then
Tom B

29th Oct 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are fantastic. But don't bother unless you buy a decent brand. Dunlop/Goodyear/Conti etc.. And dont be tight changing just 2 on the driving wheels, get all 4 done.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Mini Cooper s with standard tyres was horrendous in the snow, I fitted some Sunny winter tyres and the difference was massive!!!!!
Mark.W

29th Oct 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some last year but never got the chance to use them due to lack of snow last year as the roads get bad where i live and have to travel 12.5 miles each way to work.

Will be fitting them onto the car this week regardless then there on for when we do get it.

The brand i bought were Cooper which seem to get good reviews.
IainL

29th Oct 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought them for my Vectra last year after getting nowhere fast and also skidding the previous 2 winters. I never got a chance to see them work as the only snow we had my wife was using the car. Now that car is dead I have useless 5 stud wheels with big winter tyres on them that dont fit anything lol.
Rich H

30th Oct 12 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never run them previously, but many clients have (and they all live out in the sticks) and they always rave about them.

Have taken the punt and ordered 4 new Hankook i-cept ones for the van this year which are getting fitted in a few days time.

I drive a big mixture of roads in the van to get to clients and I live in a pretty rural area to begin with, so will be interested to see how much difference they do make tbh.

I also know the BMW will be as good as useless come the snow so figured I'd better have something that may be able to cope
Balling
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a reason why every European country outside the UK run winter tyres when temps drop below 8. And it's not because the weather is massively different.

Good tyres are probably the best and cheapest way to upgrade the safety of your car. The best summer tyres you can get are no better than the worst, once the temperatures drop.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see point, be sticking with everyday tyres and using the car everyday on all kinds of roads. Advertising pushing people to think they need winter tyres!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Balling
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
Advertising pushing people to think they need winter tyres!
Do you want a shiny hat to go with that conspiracy?

3CorsaMeal

30th Oct 12 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought mine in the summer, can't wait to see the corrado bowling about on different wheels

been excited about these for a while
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No thanks!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
RichR
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sold them to me was that both Dad and I have X Type Jaguars, FWD, his is a 2.2D, mine is a 2.0D. In the snow last year, I struggled like mad to get up even the slight incline of the road to my Mum and Dad's. Dad drove out of our drive which was 30cm deep with snow at the time, out on to the road which was maybe 5-10cm of compacted snow. Drove down the road, hitched up to my car and reversed back up the road and into the drive.

We unhitched once we got to the flat of the drive and I could barely drive forwards without spinning up and struggling whereas he had no issues at all.

Aside from the engine size, the only difference was tyres. I was using fairly new Pirelli P6000s, his had winter tyres on (not full snow, just winter).

And as Balling said, there's a reason that EU countries legislate on their use so strictly and that's because they work
3CorsaMeal

30th Oct 12 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got stuck in the corrado once, wasn't even a hill, i held all these people up, i tried to get one side of car on the grass to get some grip but didn't help, so i had to sit there while 70yr old ladies just sailed past in some japanese shit box. I had to turn around and go a different way
Ben G

30th Oct 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't personally think it's worth it for the 2 days of snow we get down here.

yes i know they are better even on cold/rainy days, but if you don't drive like a dick then you should be fine.

i'll just be waking my numbers up at 6am clearing snow off my drive/road.
3CorsaMeal

30th Oct 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can have a corrado vr6 with winter wheels and tyres there within 45mins if required?
Balling
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
yes i know they are better even on cold/rainy days, but if you don't drive like a dick then you should be fine.
Unless you by that mean only drive 20 mph and you are certain every one else does the same, then that's complete BS.

It's not a matter of driving like a dick and throwing the car in to every corner at massive speeds, it's a matter of having grip in case something unpredictable happens and you need to brake/steer to avoid an accident.

The best brakes in the world are worth fuck all if the tyres have no grip on the ground.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter tyres 23 database queries in 0.0179770 seconds