corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine predicament

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine predicament
Christopher

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, as a few of you know my head gasket went on my 1.2 2 weeks ago! Basically I have around £1000 that i could spend but I cant live without the car so in my eyes i have 3 options! I can either;

A. Get the gasket replaced for around £300 but then will most likely have to get head skimmed and theres no telling what the piston rings may look like, so im worried that might change to near £600 which isnt worth it for a 1.2 imo!?

B. Get an xe but ideally id want to fully rebuild that as i dont want to put that in and that blow up a few days down the line :/ Plus i cant really afford the insurance but i could be able to persuade my dad to help

C. Get a daily, take the corsa off the road and do a full xe rebuild and use it next year, however ive only got around 1k to spend so if i wanted to get a semi decent daily (Preferably a corsa as i have a few bits i could put on) im looking around £800 for low mileage, tax mot etc?! So im left with around 200 quid and with it coming up to christmas its unlikely il be getting any more money to put towards it until next year?!

Cant think of much else i can do but i need a car again for work etc! :/
sc0ott

2nd Nov 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy another 1.2 engine, swap them over and save your money until your insurance drops?

pow
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the HG on the 1.2 yourself?
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Buy another 1.2 engine, swap them over and save your money until your insurance drops?

Thought about this, only thing that worries me is a. sourcing an engine with low miles/runs well b. what if that goes wrong and ive just wasted the money :/

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Do the HG on the 1.2 yourself?

I would, i just would need to have head skimmed and im worried what the piston rings may look like, plus im not the most mechanically minded and i know if "sean" is reading this he will be thinking the same
AK

2nd Nov 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just find a second hand 1.2 for £50 and throw it in.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
just find a second hand 1.2 for £50 and throw it in.

This.

Gives you time to stock up on parts and rebuild the XE.

It will cost more than a grand all in to do the conversion if you plan to do a full rebuild including work on the block/head.

If you don't have the money to do it all now I'd say wait it out until you do. Or risk an XE that may have been "rebuilt 2k miles ago, no smoke, no tapping and no knocks"

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys! Was considering doing that just alot of effort just to have another 1.2 again Plus they are quite hard to find haha! but thinking this is the most sensible bet! Darryl how many honest xe's do you find that people have properly rebuilt?! Ive seen one in london but the guy took it down before it finished in the few months ive been looking! :/
fazza

2nd Nov 12 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt plan to do an XE on a budget.

Always ends up costing more than originally planned and bits will need replacing etc.

Whack another 1.2 engine in
Corsa_Sport21

2nd Nov 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1k would get you a full running XE Corsa these days.
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly what Fazza said.

I don't really trust the whole rebuilt 2 months ago thing really. Too many people say it and a lot of stuff I've bought in the past hasn't had what was said it had.

Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
I wouldnt plan to do an XE on a budget.

Always ends up costing more than originally planned and bits will need replacing etc.

Whack another 1.2 engine in

Well Its a budget but its not! Ive got extra money but have other plans for it so if worse came to worse i could but then its more expensive insurance, petrol, tax etc so i would be in a worse financial situation but i just have the need for an xe Even though i know everyone on here says how non exciting they are!
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair they are good fun. They aren't blow your face off into the the car behind but they do certainly go well for what they are.

Most people forget that it's an old engine in an old car. So for it's age it's pretty quick.

Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And this is so tempting as its literally just down the road

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vauxhall-c20xe-redtop/1001231912
shaunmods
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick another 1.2 in it Chris for the minute. You'll have it done in less than a day Gets you back on the road for the time being
Corsa_Sport21

2nd Nov 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just break it and buy a 1.6 16v Sport.

Few bolt on bits and you will be more than happy with the performance and still be able to afford the running costs, while still having money.

XE Corsa's are good fun. But to do a tidy conversion isn't cheap these days and not worth it imo, when you can buy 1 already done for alot less than it would cost to ocnvert your own car.
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know but i cant help wanting a bigger engine I know its the sensible things to do though! Only worry i have is what if i have a problem with the one i put in it! Im in the same boat! :/
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Why not just break it and buy a 1.6 16v Sport.

Few bolt on bits and you will be more than happy with the performance and still be able to afford the running costs, while still having money.

XE Corsa's are good fun. But to do a tidy conversion isn't cheap these days and not worth it imo, when you can buy 1 already done for alot less than it would cost to ocnvert your own car.

Also thought of this as would be quicker and cheaper to do but would like to rebuild these as trying to find a decent sport engine that doesnt knock, rattle or SMOKE is like rocking horse shit!
Darryl H
Premium Member

2nd Nov 12 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris has spent shite loads on getting his shell good though so that would have been a waste?

Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And that daz Still needs repainting though :/
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finding a 1.2 is proving fairly difficult :/ DO you think i should just get one out of scrappy?
corsatdi

2nd Nov 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres quite a few on the bay chris
SetH

2nd Nov 12 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about a 1.4 or 1.6 16v?
JaffaTB

2nd Nov 12 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left a working 1.2 out for the scrap man a few months ago
Christopher

2nd Nov 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

None really near me Ross :/ yer could done Seth, just think insurance will be higher because I did the conversion :/ oooo I don't know what to do haha
Mark.W

2nd Nov 12 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To do a tidy conversion isn't cheap these days.

This ^^^^ Mine is costing much more than i thought it would and im not even doing a rebuild just replaceing the obvious things.

[Edited on 02-11-2012 by Mark.W]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine predicament 23 database queries in 0.0192719 seconds