corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Are you a Purist?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you a Purist?
SVT2888

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 12 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This past weekend I went on a drive with some friends. Three of the four of us had partied the night before and had hardly slept, but come one, it’s a drive! Sleep chosen over getting to enjoy some of the best and most scenic roads California has to offer? NEVER!

My friend Joe, the one with the best car and the one who didn’t party, did all the driving. We rode along in his recently purchased 2011 BMW 335d. He’s so in love with his diesel’s fuel mileage that he has put 3k miles on it in the month that he has owned the car. In fact, just three hours after he drove out of the dealership I joined him on a canyon run.

The canyon fun on this run started in the affluent town of Montecito. You know you’re in an affluent neighborhood when you start seeing Sotherby’s Real Estate signs on lawns, and you can’t even see the houses from the road because the fences are so high. Soon enough, however, the fancy houses stopped and we hit the rural areas of Santa Barbara, which is where the roads got really good.

Super tight twisties with lanes that narrower than the car, that to us is perfection. As we ascended higher into the hills surrounding Santa Barbara the road surface got poorer, but the views got better and better. We could see all of Santa Barbara below us with the ocean providing a beautiful back drop. Eventually we made it to Solvang for brunch (at 5pm) using canyon roads almost exclusively. Never once did anyone feel car sick, though it was probably due to the fact that we hadn’t eaten. Heck, we were having so much fun we had forgotten all about food.

How could you think about food when the roads you are traveling go from butter smooth through affluent neighborhoods, to rough in the hills, then you hit the valleys were they turn into dirt, eventually going into the woods. We did water crossings, encountered pot holes that could swallow a smart car and went over dozens of cow catchers. We never encountered a cop, and mostly just saw a few pick-up trucks driven by farmers who were probably thinking “These yuppies must be lost!”

At the end of the day we did 470 miles of nothing but canyon roads. The round trip took a total of about 10 hours, though we did kill a lot of time stopping for pictures and walking around Solvang looking for a place to eat. In the end we had a fun adventure, which made us closer friends and we got to see parts of California where few venture. All this while riding in what might just be one of the best daily drivers out there.The 335d allows you to get great fuel mileage without having to sacrifice in the fun department. If I had the money I would be all over one.

Towards the end of the drive, Joe brought up a good point; If you told a regular person, “Yeah I spent my Sunday driving around for fun through the canyons.” They’d probably think you were mad. They’d probably ask you “Why would you spend your whole day just driving around? You didn’t even have to!” But a regular person always sees driving as a chore; the Purist see it as a way to de-stress. We see it as a way to discover new places and get to know our car more. If we bring friends along, it’s a way to become closer with them and share in the adventure. We don’t always have to go on drives though; sometimes we are just happy sitting around talking cars, working on cars, or washing our cars. We’ll go to a car show and right after go home and instead of resting we start uploading and sharing our pics. Or we’ll go somewhere and sit down to discuss cars. We think about cars all day every day. Outsiders think we are weird, but when we are around other Purists we are seen as regular people.

I’d like to ask you guys, what do you see as the definition of an automotive “Purist” and would you consider yourself one?

http://hooniverse.com/

view the full-gallery at http://www.cncpics.com/2012/October/Sunday-Drive/26217981_C2nQTD
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Nov 12 at 00:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stunning pics.

I go on trips myself but one hundred miles at most and its not possible to do all of that on nice roads.

I'd have probably chosen a convertible and gone alone but still awesome, great post.
mike56gte

3rd Nov 12 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great read and great pics. The 335d is such a great car.
Alex_Rally

3rd Nov 12 at 06:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would love to live in america
Simon_16v

3rd Nov 12 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome, wish we had some road like that around here!
benpep

3rd Nov 12 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks ace,them roads are just naughty!!!
random dav
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome, looks fantastic!

WRLFC !

Project cars
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mmm, might borrow my Brother's car and go for a mooch after reading this, I'm feeling inspired
pow
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Mmm, might borrow my Brother's car and go for a mooch after reading this, I'm feeling inspired

Remember the sport mode!
Ben G

3rd Nov 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love for you to write a book of some sort, about cars and driving. Include pics also
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think purist is another word for obsessed.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Jambo

4th Nov 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purist has many connotations. However a lot of the time I find people who bark on about it all the time are generally insecure about how much of a "purist" they are so overcompensate.

Jambo

4th Nov 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beautiful pics btw

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Are you a Purist? 23 database queries in 0.0124021 seconds