corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel Advice

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diesel Advice
Andrew

User status: Offline
15th Nov 12 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would appear the petrol 308 has to go

What diesel for 9k - 10k?

Lots of toys, auto and black leather would be nice. Don't want to be having servicing done every 10k either, long life servicing if possible.

Doing around 25k a year motorway miles.
mattk

15th Nov 12 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would imagine you have quite a pic for 9 - 10 grand. I think it would have a BMW badge on it if it were me

only because my next car has to be RWD
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, that budget and that many motorway miles shouts BMW to me too. Not sure what the servicing is like but for smashing the motorways, BMs do it best in my experience.
big eck

15th Nov 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New octavia Vrs diesel just to be different.

I'd have an Audi myself.
Andrew

15th Nov 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Miles wise, what should i expect from a BM diesel engine if it has and is looked after. Rather than pulling money out of my company account, i should really be investing this.

Worth going for an auto box or prone to be problematic? Had a 208 auto a couple of weeks back for a day or so and loved it

[Edited on 15-11-2012 by Andrew]
mattk

15th Nov 12 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt spend 9 - 10 grand, you can get alot of car for 4 grand.

25k isnt that much, I do that in my old citroen relay, only so much you can do behind the wheel before you get bored
Andrew

15th Nov 12 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree Matt, those 2 - 3 hours driving per day bores the life out of me. One of the reasons i want something nice.

I'm after buying something i can look after and keep going for 3 - 4 years but at the end of it, still get a bit of money back to trade in on something else.

Had a Corsa van but with my ear problems, the noise was taking its toll. Was doing less miles then as well.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

15th Nov 12 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen loads of BM diesels for sale with more than 200k.

Auto box can be a weak point. My brother had to get his rebuilt earlier this year which cost him a grand but he had ignored a leak which ended up causing the damage. Usually it's down to the fact the BMW don't schedule an ATF change because they claim the stuff they use will last the life of the car but in reality, it should be changed every so often. We've had 3 other BM autos in the family, all over 130k with no auto box issues so I wouldn't really be put off buying one.

Certain diesels, I think around the 2002-2006 mark have a common problem with some butterfly valves in the inlet. They break off and cost you an engine but there's kits about to get rid of the valves which obviously eliminates that problem. I think that was on the 2.5 and 3.0 diesels but if you do a search it's easy to find the facts so you can know if it might be a concern on the cars you're looking at.

[Edited on 15-11-2012 by Mike]
Andrew

15th Nov 12 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure i'd want to run past 150k. Mileage used to put me off but this Astra Gemma has is on 90k and runs spot on.

Will start digging for info on BMs.

5 series looks like a lot of car for the money! Don't think it would fit on my drive though
Hammer

16th Nov 12 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your maths, in almost every real life application, can only be described as sketchy. At best.
Bonney

16th Nov 12 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scania r440 with opti cruise, only diesel automatic is have, drove one with over 500k on the clock and still felt like New, only downside they average under 9mpg! Pick an 08 plate up for about 10k and they do have long life servicing on them, perfect!
Andrew

16th Nov 12 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Your maths, in almost every real life application, can only be described as sketchy. At best.

Elaborate please.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel Advice 22 database queries in 0.0076439 seconds