corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Quick HDD Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick HDD Question
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   21st Nov 12 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a SATA 3 HDD i'd like to use. The PC in question can only fit one drive in it and I'm not replacing that one, I'd rather use it in addition. Obviously I can buy an external case and use it via USB2.0 or something like that.

Lets say I had an external case and long enough SATA leads from the board. Would I be better off wiring it up via the SATA conenctions to the external case over using USB2.0? i.e. quicker etc.

Cheers
Whittie

21st Nov 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a shuttle case or something really small, hence not being able to fit it?

If you can wire it via SATA connections to the external case, you may aswell do that.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, the shuttle could actually house 2 HDDs fine plus DVD drive. It's another normal desktop (small tho), only has one space for a HDD if I have an optical drive in there.

I assumed being wired directly in would probably be best, but thought I'd check. Probs use an external case still but modify it so it uses the SATA wires rather than bothering with USB.

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Brett]
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an eSATA PCI card - will be faster than USB 2.0 speeds.

Something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/163252-startech-com-1-port-esata-1-port-sata-pci-sata-controller-card-pciesata2i

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by Sam]
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd seen these Sam, but aside from keeping things tidy, what's the point? I can handle the cables coming out the back of the machine as I'm gonna be concealing the 2nd drive anyway.
ed

21st Nov 12 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Internal SATA cables are a little fragile, one knock and they loose connection - bad news! The power cables are pretty robust though. Could you not mod the case so you could hang the HDD in somewhere?
Sam
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I'd seen these Sam, but aside from keeping things tidy, what's the point?

That's exactly the point, stop being so ghetto
Brett
Premium Member

21st Nov 12 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I've not got any PCI slots free anyway so that's a no go really.

I don't mind it looking at bit pikey from behind. It's in a unit so won't be visible anyway. I've got a 0.3m extention lead for both so there's more than enough play in it for it not to come loose, plus it'll never ever be touched anyway. With regards to modding it to fit the other drive, I don't think it's a goer really. Could probs fit a 2.5" slim drive, but the 3.5" jobbie just won't be happening.

I've got enough to go on now anyway guys, I'll just proceed with my plan, cheers
Brett
Premium Member

28th Nov 12 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, next question..

For the time being at least until it's delivered, is there any consequences of running the HDD just sat on top of the PC? i.e. not in a case, just sitting there in it's birthday suit.
John

28th Nov 12 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naa, I do it all the time.
Brett
Premium Member

28th Nov 12 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome

New Poll