corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bik Day: Mileage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bik Day: Mileage
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Dec 12 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously looking at Triumph Daytona 675s now; there's quite a big price leap for bikes with less than 10,000 on the clock; ideally don't want to spend more than £3,500 and definitely not more than £4,000 and that's the bracket the sub 10k bikes fall into. Howeevr, the over 10k bikes can be picked up for £2,500.

Whats the reliability and problems assosciated with over 10k? Is 10k seen as particularly high mileage on a bike engine?
jay26

10th Dec 12 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gsxr has 8500 ish miles on it, but woundn't have a problem riding a bike with say 50000 miles if its been looked after. Most people are put off as you say that's why they don't hold value as well
LeeM

10th Dec 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its odd, 10k seems to be the same sort of barrier as youd see at 50k+ on a car
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So long as its been looked after then, is it better to buy one cheaper and nto pay the premium for sub 10k? In fairness, all of the <£4,000 bikes are at 9k anyway so probably better to buy a slightly higher mileage so that I wouldn't take the hit when I rolled over 10k
Welsh Dan

10th Dec 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The regulators and alternators are notoriously unreliable on the 675s, as they are on most of the Triumphs of the same age. Its not exclusive to mileage, as they go on bikes with 1k, or 20k.

There are two solutions though, as Triumph have released updated parts for both (The alternator is £500!). The new Triumph regulator is a MOSFET one, which is far more reliable, but is expensive (£250 odd). The alternative is to buy the Triumph wiring loom for £15, and it plugs straight into the GSXR/Blackbird/loadsofotherbikes MOSFET regulators, which you can buy second hand, or brand new for £90.

I've got an 05 Daytona 650, which is the last of the four cylinders before they went to the triples. I've had the alternator done twice (the first time it was a rewound alternator, not a genuine replacement), one of the coilpacks, regulator and thats about it.

I believe the 675s to be reasonably reliable, apart from the mentioned alternator/regulator issues.

Check Triumphtorque.net and Triumphrat forums.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking specifically at a triple, guessing from your post this is 06 onwards?

Aside from pistonheads/Bike Trader/MCN/Ebay, where are good places to look for second hand sales?
Welsh Dan

10th Dec 12 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, triples came in around 06, possibly late 05. The bikes are completely different, so its not as if you'll buy the wrong one.
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt you can run one on your wages mate, you need a kitchen first
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wouldn't bother me
chrisritch

10th Dec 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh

I hate john-d so much for showing you this website.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh

You're a dick and you have no idea what wage I'm on - nor how I'd be funding a bike. Now please go away John

and purely FYI, I have four fully fitted and fully working kitchens, just not a kitchen in the house I live in

[Edited on 10-12-2012 by LiVe LeE]
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all honesty an extra few k miles wouldn't bother me, cash is better off in the bank as you say
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you for the more sensible answer, I'll retract you being a dick for now
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I posted a sensible one straight after the in jest one, wasn't a dig or anything, thought you would have seen that.

How many miles will you realisticly do on it? If its not a huge amount then id go for the cheaper option. If a fair bit lower miles will be better in the long run.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 16:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to think upto 5,000 - realistically, I imagine less than 3k
AlexW

10th Dec 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pay more attention to what the seller is like, and the condition of the bike (And how clean it is!) than mileage IMO.

I have a daily suzuki on 40k+ and its okay, a well built triumph on sub 20k will be fine other than the normal wear and tear parts.
jrdn7

10th Dec 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate's Dad over in england has a BMW tourer that's done 100k plus (he's been to china and back twice, literally). If the Daytona is over 10k miles be sure it has a FSH, plus ask to have the fairings off (just the side ones) to see for any oil leaks/crash damage etc. If they're decent they should let you, but being your own socket set.

Triumph Daytona, nice choice mate.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bik Day: Mileage 22 database queries in 0.0170569 seconds