corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT Courses CCNA CCENT

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT Courses CCNA CCENT
XSIHardy

User status: Offline
12th Dec 12 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently started my A+ and then going too do my n+. I did basic computing at college and so far have not had any issues with the a+.
I'm looking at going down the Cisco route and here's were my issue comes into place. I'm more off a learn on the job kind off person but,
Obviously I'm not going too be able too find any were too do this so i am looking at doing my CCNA/CCNET though a company which will give me
Guidance ext. My question is do you guys think it's worth the price tag? And do you have any advice.

Cheers Sam

[Edited on 12-12-2012 by XSIHardy]

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Dec 12 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old age qualifications vs experience.

With the letters against your name (more the CCNA then A+) you will probably be able to get into more interviews for bigger pay.

Whats the price for the CCNA?
Aaron

12th Dec 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What price have you been given for CCNA?

As for the "learning on the job thing", all you can really do is offer your services for free (unless you're lucky enough to get a job now with the exposure to the stuff you want/need). To be honest...the best way of getting exposure to the equipment is to setup a lab at home with a couple of switches, routers and computers etc.

Edit - and only a stupid company would let you loose on their live equipment anyway.

I used to teacher A+ and CCNA semester 1 and 2. CCNA is something you need to be a lot more dedicated to when compared to A+, however, that's not to say that it'll be an issue for you.

[Edited on 12-12-2012 by Aaron]
XSIHardy

12th Dec 12 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One company quoted £600. To be honest i would take a fairly big pay cut just too get my foot though the door. But experience is key knower days. I think once my A+ and N+ is completed I am just going too try and get a help desk role. But its just the Cisco stuff I'm finding hard too figure out. As I can't see many company's taking on some body who would have little too no hands on experience. And some off the company's state that they will "help" you get your desired job.

willay
Premium Member

12th Dec 12 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are right, if I was hiring anyone with a CCNA I'd be asking them a range of technical questions related to Cisco equipment/networking to see how they understand it.

Really your best bet is to do the A+ N+ like you mentioned, get your foot in the door/in the industry and work out where you want to go - you may realise you fancy abit of web design or programming or even system administration, even though the CCNA would give you a better understanding of the underlying protocols which help computers communicate, it might not be revelant to your career path (yet!)
willay
Premium Member

12th Dec 12 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd also like to add that alot of people think they can just do a CCNA and walk into a 30k job, doesn't work like that.
XSIHardy

12th Dec 12 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I'd also like to add that alot of people think they can just do a CCNA and walk into a 30k job, doesn't work like that.

I'm not that nieve web design ext doesn't really interest me, I am only 22 not expecting too be on any seriouse amount off money for at least 5-7 years. Just some thing that's always interested me and enjoyed doing ( computing ). if Im working till im 60+ much rather it's some thing I really enjoy
willay
Premium Member

12th Dec 12 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh of course, please don't take my last comment as judging/acusing you of doing that.

I just think alot of people getting into the industry at all sort of ages think they can just take an exam and be on big bucks, what our industry will always need is passionate people who have a flare for their chosen area because it interests them.

Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Dec 12 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the CCENT/CCNA certs are well worth going for - they teach stuff which to be honest I was embarassed to not have known previously despite being "in IT" for 6 or 7 years, but you don't need to pay out for them.

Get a good pair of books off of Amazon, torrent some CBT Nuggets and grab a copy of GNS3/Packet Tracer/etc.

I did the courses (paid for by work) about 18months before I properly started studying for the exams. I pretty much re-learned all of it myself and got the exams done.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Corsa_Joel

14th Dec 12 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by XSIHardy
Recently started my A+ and then going too do my n+. I did basic computing at college and so far have not had any issues with the a+.
I'm looking at going down the Cisco route and here's were my issue comes into place. I'm more off a learn on the job kind off person but,
Obviously I'm not going too be able too find any were too do this so i am looking at doing my CCNA/CCNET though a company which will give me
Guidance ext. My question is do you guys think it's worth the price tag? And do you have any advice.

Cheers Sam

If you don't mind me asking, have you paid for a course for the A+ / N+ or are you going down the self-teaching route? If so, what books have you gone for? Want to get the N+ under my belt as cheap as poss!

New Poll