corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Reducing Rotational Mass - real world gains

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reducing Rotational Mass - real world gains
AK

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 13 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hear this a lot, and understand the theory.... but whats the general rule of thumb for weight saved on parts that moke the car move... wheels/shafts etc

Double?

I.e a 10kg saving on a tail shaft would be like losing 20kg deadweight

[Edited on 03-01-2013 by AK]
ShEp

3rd Jan 13 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve will be researching this on google as I type,

He will arrive shortly, all knowledgeable.

I'll give my answer as "fuck know's" lol.

AK

3rd Jan 13 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've googled for a bit and it's all pretty much down to folks opinions... nothing concrete or remotly clear cut that doesnt involve heaps of calcs.

Going by what I've read though it would seem it does have a saving, but pretty minimal on shafts when comapred to wheels/tyres for example.

Perhaps 1.2x dead weight.
daine
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you never mend a puncture in your push bike AK!?!?!? hole the wheel with the center spindle!
move each side up and down, you can do it very easy.
Now spin the wheel and try it..... so much harder, cos the mas is moving.
the weight you refer too, is the un-sprung weight on a car!, this is every part below the spring.
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're refering to a gyroscopic effect (i'e using a gyro to stabilise)... i said I understood the theory, its more of a realword 'figure' i'm after.

[Edited on 03-01-2013 by AK]
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at light(er) weight propshafts for the GTR...

Budget option is about 5kg saving
Medium - maybe 8kg
Gucci - about 10kg

I.e If I save 5kg off a propshaft that spins at something like 4000rpm, what would I have to lose in DEADweight (i.e seats, doors) to have the same gains
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in short, acording to google (without getting a nosebleed and headache with the maths) the answer would appear to be 'cabbage'

Losing 5kg off a prop may have the same effect as losing 6kg from the shell.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This topic came up alot on the Civic forums I frequented when I had my FN2.

I heard 1.5 banded around but I never remember seeing any solid numbers on it. I'll do a search tonight to see if I can find any of the old posts.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, 1.5x seems to be punted around for wheels/tyres but less for things like drive/prop shafts
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 11:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd imagine diameter has a lot to do with it, hence the wheel figure being quite substantial
Ben J

3rd Jan 13 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve is building meccano driveshafts as we speak.
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gm said it cost them 10bhp to turn the balancer shafts in my engine, flywheel aswell, from 9kg to 4.5kg changed how the engine felt.

When you remove mass from these areas you change the way the engine responds, you change its characteristics. When i did the flywheel it revved much quicker but at the same time when letting off now there is quite a lot of engine braking, on a track its better to be smooth so i have to left foot brake a lot to stop the engine slowing me down and spinning the car. But i think the gains of a quicker acceleration outway the cons.

I think with my car being as light as it is exagerated the feelings, in a heavy car i wouldnt of thought there would be much of a change.

AK

3rd Jan 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I'd imagine diameter has a lot to do with it, hence the wheel figure being quite substantial

very much so
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I was just thinking this.

My guess would be that diameter and weight distribution would have to make a world of difference, hence it would be impossible to give an even remotely accurate "general" figure.

Two 17" wheels both weighing the same could have different rotational mass on account of the weight being closer to either the center or the outer edge of the rim.

Just guessing, though...

Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With that in mind then, I wouldn't say it was even worth considering, unless you have a 17 inch diameter prop.
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but you still lose the 5kg deadweight... that is also rotating.... so it is a saving.

We're needing some repairs on our prop - the central bearing/bush is a bit worn. This is where the 2 piece prob is supported to the floor pan.

Some pics

The prop will be about 3" O.D.

this is the OE R32 GTR prop / tail shaft. 16kg or so...

Id expect a 1 piece to save about 5k on that... rotational mass so much more gains

pic of a steel 1 piece R32 tail / propshaft

An Alu one - £800 or so

CF one - £gucci

daine
Premium Member

3rd Jan 13 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much quicker would it make the car per lap from the steel one to the Gucci one and would
this justify the massive price difference at the level of racing you do
If the steel one loses you 5kgs and you need a prop!
then go for the steel one, see if you can feel the difference it make and take it from there.
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only one i'd go for is the cheap one... fuck spending thousands on carbon fibre

level of racing..... ? If it was BTCC or an F1 car I wouldnt be having this discussion
Daimo B

3rd Jan 13 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't the weight also allow the engine to spin up easier?

Can't help with the weight, but I know that less weigh can only equal faster acceleration and later braking and quicker directional change. As said below the spring line its going to be much less of an effect than above it. Cornering etc won't be as much effected by the loss, but acceleration, less weight on the engine, and less weight to spin the propshaft, should all be improved?

SportBoy

3rd Jan 13 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes cars quicker in gran turismo......
AK

3rd Jan 13 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, less weight, less work, less momentum, less joints to loose power through, but more backlash etc (not weight related but moveing to 1 peice)
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Jan 13 at 02:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stop being a minge bag and just buy the carbon one

CORSAguy93

4th Jan 13 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportBoy
Makes cars quicker in gran turismo......

This
AK

4th Jan 13 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, very good

Just going for a custom made steel prop. Will be 1 piece so loses the middle knuckle, should be around 3 - 3.5" OD - roughly same as it currently is.

I'd love the carbon one, but i'm not really a carbon whore and I dont have a bottomless pit of cash
Toby
Premium Member

4th Jan 13 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was under the impression that wheels carried a bigger ratio than 1.5x fast ford did a test which I'm sure they worked out at nearer 4x based upon 17inch wheels

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Reducing Rotational Mass - real world gains 23 database queries in 0.0167580 seconds