corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: Clark's new car...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polished Bliss®: Clark's new car...
BluKoo

User status: Offline
5th Jan 13 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, all pictures and text are lifted from detailing world.
Also its not me doing the work. Its my brother, so I can't answer any detailing questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and a Happy New Year to you from all of us at PB

As some of you may know, I sold this back in November:

This then gave me the opportunity to start the long (or at least so I thought)search for it's replacement. What I was after was a Porsche 996 Mk2 GT3 Club Sport and it had to be in either Speed Yellow or Guards Red....

However approximately a week later a member on one of the Porsche forums contacted me saying he was moving to France in the summer and as a result his much pampered Club Sport was potentially available. It wasn't Yellow or Red but after getting full details of the car and sending a much respected Professional Detailer round to inspect it for me a deal was done - the car was just too good to miss!

Brief spec of the car was as follows:

- Believed to be 1 of 9 GT3's in Cobalt Blue.
- Just over 11,000 miles!
- Litronic Headlights.
- Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
- AC/Climate Control.
- FPSH.
- RS Air Intake.
- PARR Fast Road Set Up.

So the following weekend and after nervously watching the weather forecast as the snow continued to come and go my Dad and I flew down to sussex to collect the car. We couldn't have been more fortunate with the weather as it stayed completely dry 99% of the journey home except for a bit of rain at Birmingham and Glasgow.

Once I got it home on the Saturday evening I gave it a foam with Auto Finesse Avalanche and a thorough rinse off just to get rid of the majority of dirt until the next morning.

Sunday AM arrived and I was back at work as soon as it was light enough to get the car washed and get the underside all cleaned to remove any road salt:

Luckily the underside was still pretty clean so a good going over with AF Citrus Power and then a final foam with Avalance was sufficient:

The plan is to get the underside completely sealed and protected with an undercarriage wax but the existing protection is still very good so that's for another day and another write up entirely!

From here on in not everything may have been done in this order but as the work was carried out over the last 3 weeks or so it's easier to read if I do it in this way

The wheels were removed to give the arches a quick going over to remove the worst of the dirt before paying more attention to them inside:

A combination of road grime and old wax protection applied from the factory detracted from the look:

So after a thorough degrease with AF Citrus Power and old wax removed with Autosmart Tardis the arches were ready to be sealed with a new coating.

Masked up to prevent any overspray landing on the car:

After a bit of research it seemed Bilt Hamber's Dynax UC was what I was after:

I'm not a fan of Black or Brown wax oil type products so with the Dynax UC's completely transparent appearance and corrosion inhibitors it seemed to be the perfect choice.

Rear arch after a bit of polishing and application of the Dynax (I'm going to have to sort the flaking paint on the springs as it's driving me mad!):

Front arch done:

This pic shows the wax approx 10 minutes after application (3 thin-ish coats) - now that it's dried completely you can't even tell it's been applied:

Overall impressions of the Dynax UC are very good, the can works perfectly on it's side/upside down and there's no overspray like you would get with an aerosol can when spray painting etc :thumb:

Now onto the discs and calipers:

The long rod is one of Porsche's wheel removal tools which prevents the wheel from chipping those pricey discs. I ordered a 2nd one for extra safety and they really are such a simple but effective thing to have, especially for the rear wheels which are substantially wider than the fronts

The centres were slightly dull and had a bit of water spotting but a bit of light polishing with Swissvax's new Metal Polish did the trick:

The calipers were then cleaned with IPA...

...and then sealed with 22PLE Pro Glass Coating:

22PLE was also applied to the wheels while they were off:

Back on and looking good!

With the wheels and arches sorted it was then time to sort the paintwork out. First of all I removed the GT3 badge to allow for polishing behind:

A line of tape accross the letters before removing keeps the spacing correct if you plan to re-use it.

I later fitted a Club Sport Decal instead as it makes cleaning easier and saves a bit of weight

Overall, for a car that had never seen any paint correction before (the paint is all original too except for the air intake on the engine lid) the paintwork was in pretty good condition with just the odd collection of random scratches here and there.

The paint was really sticky (common theme with Porsches and especially the 996's) but fortunately this usually means the paint is easily corrected as sticky paints tend to be on the soft side. As a result, even the deeper marks were easily removed with the Flex DA machine and Menzerna 106FA with a Cyan Cutting Pad.

The reason for using a finishing polish with a cutting pad was basically to use the pad's cut to correct the paint whilst using the oily nature of the polish to act as a lubricant, this is one of several ways of combatting really sticky paints where alot of polishes instantly dry up and it worked well here:

Rear wing removed to gain access underneath:

Rear light clusters before and after:

Rear quarter before and after:

The plastic panels of the car were slightly tougher so the Meguiars MF System again with the Flex DA was used:

With the first stage of correction complete I took a break from polishing and decided to fit some new light bulbs that had arrived.

The orange indicator's were replaced with some nice chrome ones (that still flash orange):

This really freshens a car up in my opinion:

The same was done for the rear.

I also replaced the front side lights with LED's as their yellow appearance looked horrible compared to the white light of the Xenons:

Number plate lights also got the LED treatment, I think it's fairly obvious which one is which:

The interior also got the LED treatment:

Whilst I was messing about with electrics I wired up a quick release plug from my battery conditioner to the battery to save having to remove the compartment lid every time I wanted to take the car out the garage:

Back to polishing now. The first stage had created a bit of dust so I gave the car a rinse off outside and then dried with the Metro Vac.

Stage 2 was the refining stage to really bring out the clarity in the paintwork - for this I used Scholl S40 with a Crimnson Finishing Pad which worked brilliantly on the sticky paint:

While doing the driver's door I noticed the lock could do with a bit of a spruce up so 30 seconds with a cotton bud and some Swissvax Metal Polish did the trick:

With the machine polishing finally completed and after a dust down with a lambswool duster it was time to choose an LSP (Last Step Product). I'd initially planned to go with 22PLE but as this isn't going to be a daily driver maximum durability really isn't an issue so I went with one of the best waxes available:

It also means I can give the car another coat or 2 if I'm in the mood whereas the 22PLE is more of an apply and leave it product, unless you wanted to top it with a wax but that defeats the purpose in my opinion

22PLE was used however (Rim & Metal Coat) on the tailpipes after they'd been polished with Swissvax Metal Polish:

The exterior glass was cleaned with IPA and then protected with Nanolex Ultra:

The interior glass was cleaned with Auto Finesse Crystal:

Including the absolute pain in the backside that is the rear screen - thanks largely to all the scaffolding getting in the way!

Werkstat Acrylic Jett was applied to all the exterior window rubbers and plastic trim:

For trims that are in "as new" condition I still find this hard to beat as it beads like crazy, is durable and doesn't streak/run while giving a completely natural look:

If you do fancy something even more durable though or if your trims are more faded, the 22PLE Plastic and Trim Restorer is also very good:

Not convinced? How about some 22PLE on the splitter then?...

Auto Finesse Tripple was then used to polish and protect the door shuts:

Engine bay paintwork also done:

Another small job for the ever impressing Swissvax Metal Polish:

I then dusted down the interior...

...before removing the padding from the seats to be able to hoover more thoroughly:

The leather and vinyl then got a wipe over with a damp MF towel leaving this:

Engine bay after being dressed with Aerospace 303 Protectant:

Finally it was finished (after a wipe down with AF Finale), well done if you made it this far and here are the after shots

I then took a few pics outside as it looked like the sun was about to burst through...

True to form though, it never did come out so I had to put the car back inside and make do with some imitation sun instead

Thanks for looking and hopefully you enjoyed our first post of 2013

Clark

P.S - don't worry, the car will get driven as much as it gets cleaned!
random dav
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome. I was not sure about the colour at first but I think it looks fantastic now.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Ben J

5th Jan 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw this on Twitter. Looks amazing.
Ben J

5th Jan 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steering wheel looks out of place IMO. Needs an alcantara trimmed jobbie in there.
_Allan_

5th Jan 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing job as always
Tomnova16
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks much better, but think how amazing it would look in speed yellow
the plate is quite good too

is he going to use it on track?

and yes it needs my momo 7 wheel

[Edited on 05-01-2013 by Tomnova16]

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Balling
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expensive products everywhere, when suddenly:
"The leather and vinyl then got a wipe over with a damp MF towel"...

Looks an awesome job, and love the colour.

BenC1985

5th Jan 13 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome. But after showing my missus the pics she realises me being outside doing two cars in 4 hours is actually quite quick.lmao mind you the two cars dont come up anything like that though. Haha
Ben G

5th Jan 13 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Expensive products everywhere, when suddenly:
"The leather and vinyl then got a wipe over with a damp MF towel"...

Looks an awesome job, and love the colour.

i thought that too, but then it does work well and i bet it was in fantastic condition to begin with.
ArdenblueDan

5th Jan 13 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much would something like this cost to do?
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I've been waiting for this thread.

Really good job, the car looks smashing.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

5th Jan 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow that looks fantastic! Really thorough! Great work as always!!
ChazSXi

5th Jan 13 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blonde moment...what is the wiring you have done...?!?!!
Tomnova16
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trickle charge for the battery i would imagine, stop it going flat when its not used all the time.

BenC1985

5th Jan 13 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As already asked how much would something like this cost to have done??? My cars on 32k but doesent look great, would love it to be treated like that but i dont have the products or skills.lol
SXI - Matt

5th Jan 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
Steering wheel looks out of place IMO. Needs an alcantara trimmed jobbie in there.

I thought this but then that's the only thing stunning car bet he's made up with it
Graham88

5th Jan 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenC1985
As already asked how much would something like this cost to have done??? My cars on 32k but doesent look great, would love it to be treated like that but i dont have the products or skills.lol

This question gets asked on every detailing thread. It entirely depends on what you wanted done. You'd need to message them for a quote

Looks great, I really do hope it gets used properly as that's the only bit that disappoints me when I see how maticulate the cleaning gets. Cotton bud in a lock!?
Colin

5th Jan 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks brand new!!!

Nice motor, reckon if kept long enough these will appreciate in value in time.
ed

5th Jan 13 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
trickle charge for the battery i would imagine, stop it going flat when its not used all the time.

Newer Porsche batteries are a bit shit and if it's not being used every day then they discharge and can't be recharged again. If the cars still under warranty then you can't take the standard one out and stick a Bosch one in there which are far better
Carl

5th Jan 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missed a bit!
big eck

5th Jan 13 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does look nice but I personally think the WR1 looked better lol. No doubt there leagues apart but that one just ain't my thing.
corsa_sean

5th Jan 13 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a great job !
Tomnova16
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
It does look nice but I personally think the WR1 looked better lol. No doubt there leagues apart but that one just ain't my thing.

Eck you do have some strange taste

Ste
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame about the shit wiring job. Nice and clean then a crappy bit of red wire traipsed across the boot. I would have spent half a day less cleaning the bits no-one ever sees and spent that afternoon doing a proper job of the remote charge wires.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jan 13 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My god I hate LED bulbs more than I ever thought I did.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: Clark's new car... 23 database queries in 0.0184731 seconds