corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how to get engine mount off?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how to get engine mount off?
ArdenAndy

User status: Offline
6th Jan 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the right hand side mount under the airbox on a 1.0 corsa b. all the torx bolts are all off on the engine side of the mount and it is loose and moves around but the side connecting to the car is still solid although the torx bolt and normal bolt underneath have been taken off. the torx bolt which i have marked with the yellow circle has been removed. where i have put the red circle there is a normal bolt and after removing the bolt the peice going through the mount just wont budge and we cant get it out. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks all.

this is not my photo either, it was to dark to get a decent photo of mine
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 01:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of them is a stud and the other is a bolt. So it should come out upwards with some force. Last time I did one of these it needed a bar I between the 2 bits to prize them apart as there known for sticking together. A mate of mine had to remove the inner chassis mount and the engine mount itself and replace both of them as it had seized together
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jan 13 at 05:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't remember but I'm sure taking the entire mount off the leg is an option as opposed to leaving half of it on the car like you are doing if you remove red/yellow.

Also yes as Joe says, it needs to come off straight to split it.

I'd try and favour unbolting over splitting though, its not particularly strong stuff and you can break it fairly easily if you get bars and hammers in there.
ArdenAndy

7th Jan 13 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the reply guys. yerp your right FlaFFy_91 there is a stud and a bolt, the stud is solid and we cant get it to move at all, we have used bars and and hammers trying to get them apart but its not having it. most proberly seized so like you said Ian i dont really want to be damaging it so we have taken the bolts out of the bit in the chassis leg but now it has no room to get it out, just trying to take stuff off and move things to make enough room to get it out. so annoyed with the thing.
Christopher

7th Jan 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you taking the engine out Andy?
ArdenAndy

7th Jan 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
Are you taking the engine out Andy?

nahh we are just trying to put a new water pump and timing chain gasket on the thing although it looks like it would have been easier to take the engine out
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As ian said don't try smacking it with a chisel or anything like that.... It could be that they are just stuck solid mate. It might get to point where you have to cut it off and get a new one. If you do manage to get it apart... Make sure you copper grease it all up when you out it back together. Stop it from happening next time
csifku

8th Jan 13 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i took it of from my 1.2 16v (its same) i coudlnt take out the engine, i put a special key to take out first the bolts which hold from the engine side cos it was hard to take the middle one cos is too deep inside .. and then i took all mount of otherwise u couldnt do it :-/
jay26

8th Jan 13 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The stud has a nut underneath the mount, undo it from under the car
ArdenAndy

8th Jan 13 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
As ian said don't try smacking it with a chisel or anything like that.... It could be that they are just stuck solid mate. It might get to point where you have to cut it off and get a new one. If you do manage to get it apart... Make sure you copper grease it all up when you out it back together. Stop it from happening next time

yeah we didnt really spend much time with the hammer, and small chisel the mount is now out, we took the bit out of the chassis leg aswell, its in a right state so we will be replacing that bit will make sure we get some copper grease to put on when it all goes back together
ArdenAndy

8th Jan 13 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by csifku
when i took it of from my 1.2 16v (its same) i coudlnt take out the engine, i put a special key to take out first the bolts which hold from the engine side cos it was hard to take the middle one cos is too deep inside .. and then i took all mount of otherwise u couldnt do it :-/

we got the mount off in the end, the bolts on the engine side came off easy, where it joins the peice in the chassis leg would not budge so we took that off aswell, good job we did as i dont think it would have lasted much longer
ArdenAndy

8th Jan 13 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jay26
The stud has a nut underneath the mount, undo it from under the car

yerp we undid both of the bolts from underneath the car, the one with the stud thing going through the car just wouldnt move at all. even now its off the car and i still can not separate the two of them. i will be getting a new rubber mount bit but really dont want to be changing the other half so i now need to find a way to get them apart so i can clean it and paint it before putting the new part on at least while i figure out a way to get the two apart my dad can crack on with the water pump and timining chain gasket
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

8th Jan 13 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought about doing a chain whilste your in there? Only a few extra quid.
ArdenAndy

8th Jan 13 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chain was done before i bought the car, unfortunately the guy who did it left everything else looking like shit
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

8th Jan 13 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha the usual half arsed attitude most people have!

New Poll