corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London trip advice

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author London trip advice
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Jan 13 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning!

Im taking the missus and little one to London sunday/Monday.

We do not arrive until 12pm sunday, we are booked onto the eye, and for the London aquarium. We plan to try do both these in the afternoon, as we will head straight from Liverpool street to waterloo. I think that's the best option? Need to be back to hotel for 7ish, so may take a wonder around big ben and that area, before heading back.

We then have from around 8/9am Monday until our train leaves at 1530.

Missus wants to visit harrods and regent street (for hamleys).

What is our best option to fit as much in as possible on the Monday? We are staying at the Hilton near towerbridge? Where would you visit in that time? I assume the underground is going to be manic at that time of morning, so are we best to try walk it?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Cole

26th Jan 13 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tower of London to regents street is erm a long walk easier on the tube got to the natural history/science museum( free entry)then walk round the corner to Knightsbridge where Harrods is. Also at the end of that road is the mclaren car dealership , then jump on tube to regents street go to hamleys round to Piccadilly circus then tube back to Liverpool street and home job done
Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How mental is the tube gonna be at that time of the day though? We don't mind walking, but if its bit far, and gonna kill hours its not worth it.

Are we best waiting till 10am, to get out and do stuff?

AdamF
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably will be manic, but not impossible there are trains every 2 mins or so.

you dont want to be walking from tower bridge back to regent street with a little one or the short period of time you have
AdamF
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and also dont expect to just walk on to the eye because you have booked, you still have to que for ages. i made this mistake last year. unless you have a fast pass that is

[Edited on 26-01-2013 by AdamF]
Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, we expect to queue. Google says anything from 0-20mins roughly for this time of year. That about right?

Cole

26th Jan 13 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan that will be about right just pray for a nice clear day
AdamF
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont really know tbh, i went on it in may and qued for 1.5 hours ish.

Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, hoping for a nice day, didn't really look into the weather, bit concerned about the trains being stopped etc due to weather now :/ Its only a last min night away, for something to do, on a budget. Keeps the missus happy lol

Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just concerned about getting from tower bridge to regent street etc now. Missus doesn't like the underground as it is, let alone at rush hour, with a trolley and a 1 year old

AdamF
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres always buses which if you have a travelcard your ticket will be valid on, but ive never been on a london bus so cant comment
Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is there to do in walking distance of our hotel, I assume tower bridge and tower of London are all close? so we could wonder that way, then train later in the day?

AdamF
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah tower of london and london dungeons and tower bridge.

london dungeons is worth a look although some aspects maybe not be suitable for a 1yr old
AdamF
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

london dungeons is by london bridge train station btw a short walk down the side of the thames walking a way from tower bridge
Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, not sure itll be a good idea with the little one.

Thinking we will spend the first couple of hours of the day on tower bridge/ tower of london. Let it die down a bit, then head over to harrods.

Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looked at tube from Liverpool street to the eye, Waterloo is closer? But means a change in tubes. So am I right In thinking ill be best to go from Liverpool street on circle to Westminster and walking across to the eye?

Ben J

26th Jan 13 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Emirates Tour

[Edited on 26-01-2013 by Ben J]
Ben G

26th Jan 13 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Westminster station is a bridge away from the eye iirc, so yes, probably best to do that.

I haven't been to london as a tourist for years! I'm so close to it and take it for granted. Been for a drive round westminster area a few times and no matter what time of day or night it is, theres always traffic.

[Edited on 26-01-2013 by Ben G]
Dan
Premium Member

26th Jan 13 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
Emirates Tour

[Edited on 26-01-2013 by Ben J]

I would rather jump in the Thames with concrete galoshes on.

Ben J

27th Jan 13 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suit yourself. Worth a look if you are a footy fan surely, even if you don't do the tour.

I've done the OT tour.
Dan
Premium Member

27th Jan 13 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was bored and had time to spare then maybe I'd take a look. But given the times we have to do things it is well at the bottom of the list.

Neary there now. Can I buy an Oyster card at Liverpool street? I assume they last forever? Only plan to make about 4 or 5 trips on the tube so would be more beneficial than a travel card each day.

Ben J

27th Jan 13 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy day passes iirc. Sure we got a 3 day pass for the zones we needed last time which included DLR/Tube/Bus. Not sure if better/cheaper than an Oyster.
Dan
Premium Member

28th Jan 13 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a cracking time! only fucked the underground once. Still don't realise how I did it.

Got on circle line at Liverpool street, heading to westminister, got on the westbound train, and it went the wrong way. Got off and got on the eastbound train, and that was correct :/

Yet when I went on it to tower hill from a few stops after westminister, I had to go east :/ wtf

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » London trip advice 23 database queries in 0.0151141 seconds